GWTW Forum
September 19, 2014, 10:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: virus??  (Read 1475 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: April 28, 2010, 08:48 PM »

hi all my cousin who is a programer sent me this he claims its the real thing so i9 thought i would pass it along
FYI - TO ALL.

A very advanced programmer who does computer work for a living and  has a high up status with Microsoft.  He doesn't send these if they aren't real.  If he says this is for real, it is for sure.   Be aware and be careful............

VIRUS COMING !

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE  FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You  should be alert during the next few days. Do not  open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you.  It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is  the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it!  Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It  has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet  for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys  the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:54 PM »

Did you bother to check this?

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

That chain-letter is listed word for word as a hoax, there have been emails with the card invitation that lead to malware sites rather then a card site, that's why you hover over any emailed link and check the url before clicking, is it going where you expect it to go?

No virus warning will ever come out in a chain-letter format, chain-letters are meant solely for clogging up the Internet and mail servers. They are originated by people without the knowledge to write a virus but for the same infantile purposes, in this case to see how many people they can fool.

Either your cousin has been infected and his address book, email program & computer has been hijacked or ....  Lips sealed

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:05 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:24 AM »

I don't mean to be rude but...

Mike,
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:52 AM »

Whether the postcard virus threat is real or not, Ko does make a good point that we should all be careful about what we do open in our email. Or open in general... Viruses, greyware, malware, spyware, rogue security software, whatever gets into your machine by tricking you one way or another. The old 'you computer is infected !' click here to clean it now... You know the drill...
All you can do is be skeptical about anything that comes up on your computer, ask yourself, is this real ? Why am I getting an e-card ? Do you expect it ? Usually an ecard has some personal info on the notification, like who it's from, or what it's for.
If you get the prompt that your computer is infected, ask who is making this claim ? Does the popup come from your antivirus software ? A real virus alert will have the name of your AV software in the popup. Like Norton IS detected this threat on your machine, and the machine needs to be restarted to complete the cure might be an example of a real virus detection. If you have McCaffe, the alert would come from them.

Ko, a round of thanks should be in order, just for being the reminder for the rest of us to be vigilant about the garbage that's out there on the internet. I clean around 10 machines per week that have become infected with some piece of garbage, usually rogue security software like WinXP AntivirusPro 2010. Who’s gotten that one ? Good luck getting it out without reloading the machine ! A big help to everyone would be to not run your machine as a user with administrative privilege. Create a separate administrative user that is only used to run administrative tasks, and demote your everyday user name to a restricted user. This will prevent this garbage software from installing on your machine, or at least, limit the severity of the infection.
And please… BACK YOUR MACHINES UP ! 1 TB external drives are less than $100 now, I’m tired of hearing about people that lose 5 years of digital pictures because they thought their computer would last forever… ‘I never have any problems… why should I backup ?’

ko

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50 AM »

thanx rob oops  i am not computer savy and  was passing this along do to my cousins concern . perfect spot for the double palm mike ps it was a ??
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:13 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29 AM »

One thing I always recommend is having 1 email address that is used only for family/friends, another for work, a third for online purchases and a fourth, (or more),for everything else

Whenever I am researching, requesting info, signingup for something I either create a new (throw away) address and when done with the research I just quite checking, I also have one address dedicated only for sign ups, freebies,and subscriptions. When my mail reader picks up all the responses I just delete them since I know they will be junk. I then sort through the other address and delete anything out of the norm

Remember if you get a email offering you $100 off you next purchase from some company, you can go to their site and get the offer if it is true

Also remember NEVER respond to junk mail that offers to remove you from a mailing list, that just makes you address valid and worth more to mass marketers

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:31 PM »

One thing I always recommend is having 1 email address that is used only for family/friends, another for work, a third for online purchases and a fourth, (or more),for everything else

This was the way to do it back in the day but, frankly is a) too complicated for more people than you'd guess, and 2) totally unnecessary these days.  Gmail can do this for you pretty easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document