GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 01:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sul  (Read 6867 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 06:31 PM »

Yup.  My QP SUL is capable of all that stuff, but its not my cup of tea.  My favorite SUL is my Ozone.  Smooth, floaty and elegant.  If I'm going to do tricks I prefer the mass of an std.   To each his own.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 08:17 PM »

Both of those kites are popular and have many dedicated fans and owners, but they don't suit everyone.

Amen brother!  Smiley

One thing that IS for certain is that there is no universal best kite for all whether its an SUL, STD, Vent, Light, or any combination of these.

Its kind of like cars - most folks check out the specs, read some reviews, test drive it, and then there is likely something specific (manufacturer reputation, color, "feel", cup holders, seats, whatever) that makes you go with one specific model over the others.

Best advice with kites is to just keep trying them until you find one that suits you; there seem to be few shortcuts in finding your favorite kite.

6 kite tom
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 02:39 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's really all semantics.

If you mean literally flying in zero wind, good luck.  1000 answers...all not quite ideal.  Flying in zero wind is a compromising situation regardless of the stunt kite of choice.  Here, you will need to learn how to make it fun by practicing alot in these conditions.  You will NEVER find a true SUL stunt kite than is as fun to pump and trick as it's standard buddy is to fly and trick in wind.  This kite would need to stretch the laws of physics.

If you mean flying in some wind...anything where smoke from a cigarette moves away from you in a predictable direction...loads of UL's will fly well.  This is much more pilot dependent than kite dependent, given a reasonably good SUL/UL kite.

Be careful:  Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that a particular/special SUL will give you a significant number of additional days on the field flying.  IT WON'T.  Practice with any decent SUL will get you what you want.  If it is the compliment to your standard, even better.

obi

(And with regard to the Fearless SUL video:  ENOUGH is really ENOUGH.  Anyone who knows a little of what they are talking about will agree that the comete needs wind, or pretty significant backward movement, and often a bit of both.  Those pilots are hardly moving while doing a pretty aggressive comete.  There is nothing to see there, other than a nice pairs comete to the ground.  Clearly this is some wind flying.  Doing a single direction comete to the ground with some wind on an SUL/UL is NOT by any stretch of the imagination unusual. 

Wake up and smell the coffee.  The only unusual thing about the Fearless is how it gives away tricks like the insane, insane L/R, and other lazy based stuff.  The low and high range of these kites is not significant breakthrough in stunt kite design regardless of the glee club's claims.)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 04:46 AM »

If

Man that horse has been aged and more than tenderized.................it quit whinnying three weeks ago Wink

Think it's time to cut and wrap it , and then....get it in the freezer before it starts to stink Sad Roll Eyes

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 09:41 AM »

If

Man that horse has been aged and more than tenderized.................it quit whinnying three weeks ago Wink

Think it's time to cut and wrap it , and then....get it in the freezer before it starts to stink Sad Roll Eyes

Cheesy

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47 AM »

Wake up and smell the coffee.  The only unusual thing about the Fearless is how it gives away tricks like the insane, insane L/R, and other lazy based stuff.  The low and high range of these kites is not significant breakthrough in stunt kite design regardless of the glee club's claims.)

And you know this how...?

When did anybody in the Fearless community claim that it was a break through in wind range? One of the features of the Fearless is its wide wind range.

When fans of any kite, answer that their chosen model is the best choice no matter the conditions, that is short sighted to say the least. Fearless owners have made this mistake, but so have Talon, Cosmic TC, and even Transfer XTS, owners.

Why is it that some advanced fliers get bent so out of shape, when a developing flier makes an enthusiastic statement about a kite, that often times is over board? Advanced fliers, always say that it is more about skills, then it is the kite. I agree with that statement.  Advanced fliers also have been quick to point out that it isn't a kite that can't do a trick, but the flier.

One would think that the advanced fliers could care less, what a developing flier has to say about a kite. For whatever reason some advanced fliers feel the need to show that a kite really isn't as great as developing fliers think it is.

Jay  

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 10:14 AM »

Clearly this is some wind flying.

I really don't understand regarding the above quote. I never said F SUL don't need wind to fly. Where did you get the idea ?  It needs wind to fly a kite.  If there is no wind, people have to walk backward to create wind. The purpose of showing the Fearless SUL doing comete because it is a complex move.  I thought it might show the trickability aspect of the kite. You might see the particular clip thousands of times but my kite friend Serge and others might not see it before.

Do u own a Fearless yourself ?  Have you fly one before ?  Why so many -ve hot air regarding the FXXXXXXX Kite ?  I own a CXXXXX TC vented myself and I don't like it at all.  I never bad mouth it in a public forum.

The only unusual thing about the Fearless is how it gives away tricks like the insane, insane L/R, and other lazy based stuff.

Yes, finally you got this right.  I learnt my Flapjack/Multi-Lazy in less than 15 minutes, insane in my first try and Half Axel in 2 days.  Is this bad ?  Every well designed high end kites in the world are designed to give away tricks and this is the reason that I bought my FXXXXXXX and you bought yours. This is the only reason we pay big $$$ on the kite. To make life easier in the field.  It also make me look good too.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:17 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 10:28 AM »

Right on Jaybett....man not kite. Dodd did more tricks on his old Dynamite than most flyers can do on a $500 kite.... Cool

"Do what you like"
cids

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 10:39 AM »

Man and Machine are equally important.
May be he should try to do a comete or JL on a Wal-mart $20 kite or on my flying pal $3 Shopper Drug Mart stunt kite.  Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46 AM »

Clearly this is some wind flying.

I really don't understand regarding the above quote.

Maybe it has to do with the wind blowing at least 3 mph in that video.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 11:19 AM »

When did anybody in the Fearless community claim that it was a break through in wind range?

Point one: when the hell did the Fearless community spring into life ? You'll be getting like the Rev folks at this rate and that's no way to go through life  Tongue
Point two: probably somewhere in here. We won't be going back there so let us all move on in an orderly fashion.

One of the features of the Fearless is its wide wind range.

True dat.

Why is it that some advanced fliers get bent so out of shape, when a developing flier makes an enthusiastic statement about a kite, that often times is over board?

I can't speak for them but for me any form of irrational exuberance gets me all ->  Roll Eyes A smattering of realism in amongst the enthusiasm is a much more palatable mixture.

How many kites can we recall being introduced as "a Nirvana killer" or the mythical Kite That Saved The World™ ? How many actually were ?

Quote from: cids
Every well designed high end kites in the world are designed to give away tricks

This is not the case. Most kites need a significant input from the flyer, otherwise we'd be called "spectators" instead. A kite that literally rather than figuratively gives away tricks would be of no interest to me and, I suspect, quite a lot of other people who wish to enjoy their flying skills not their ability to buy the right kite.

And by the by.... most people will struggle to feel less than 3mph and the chances of all 3 of those mph coming from the same direction are pretty slim when it gets that calm. And, no, your windspeed meter probably isn't accurate at those sorts of numbers unless it's a hot wire anemometer or something even more exotic.

You can Comète in no wind but you'll lose a lot of altitude and/or ground as you frantically trot backwards.

Now.... where were we ?  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 11:59 AM »

Now.... where were we ?  Wink

Mike.

Serge is looking for advice, seems like he has gotten alot so far.   I think it really comes down to what his specific requirements are in comparing tradeoffs between trickability versus easy flying in no wind.

Based on his initial question of asking specifically about the Fearless or Nirvana, I am pretty sure that he wants all the current tricks out of his SUL and is hopefully aware that flying any of these is zero wind or even 1mph takes some skill that needs to be developed.

If you want a kite that has been built to do all the tricks in little wind, go with Fearless, Nirvana, Cosmic, or DS UL (I've never flown the last 2).  Then, join the fan club for whatever kite you bought!  Smiley

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24 PM »

This isn't an SUL, its a UL in zero wind.

kiteinthehouse.wmv

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
cids

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 02:37 PM »

Now.... where were we ? 

I'm heading out to fly my F kite. My F kite still need inputs to do tricks. What about you ?  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:02 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06 PM »

I think the freezer was unplugged........phew!! Can't you smell that smell Lips sealed...................

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document