GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 04:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backflip Headaches! - Update  (Read 6062 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 08:52 PM »

So, basically it's just a belly up flare...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 12:01 AM »

Put the kite on the ground on its wing tips in very light or no wind.

Let the kite sit back away from you and then bring it nose towards you.

As the nose starts to fall towards you throw your hands forward with a quick snapping motion and lunge towards the kite.

I guarantee you'll get a back flip: at least.

You may just get a roll up.

Wink

I think you missed a step there. Sounds more like an opportunity to practise your dead launch.  Wink
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05 AM »

Don't see what step you think is missing.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

Essentially you are rocking the kite back and then forward and then throwing it on its back.

If you let it fall too far forward, then you will get to practice your dead launch.

If you time it right you will get a very solid back flip.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 01:39 AM »

I believe, at this stage, it is all semantics...........I knew what Jim meant (pop first then throw hands forward)   Grin Grin Grin

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 06:39 AM »

Put the kite on the ground on its wing tips in very light or no wind.

Let the kite sit back away from you and then bring it nose towards you.

As the nose starts to fall towards you throw your hands forward with a quick snapping motion and lunge towards the kite.

I guarantee you'll get a back flip: at least.

You may just get a roll up.

Wink

I was confused reading it too, I didn't see the pop as the nose starts to fall forward before you throw your hands forward and lunge at the kite. Then figured Jim used "snapping motion" as the description since the snap back>push & lunge forward needs to be one movement.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 04:17 PM »

It was a great day today at LSP and I practiced the advice given on the back flip.

Letting the Quantum go to the top of the window and then pulling down (as in the Freestyle Pilot) followed by a quick snap of the wrists put the kite into a backflip.  When I manage the slack it looks like the video.  When I don't it goes into a death spiral with the kite tangled in the lines.  It seems like the pull down puts the kite higher than a normal stall and once the snap is given a large amount of slack exists in the lines so I needed to move back and not forward as expected.  Do I need an adjustment here?

No matter what I tried unless the kite is stalled at the top of the window followed by a pulldown and wrist snap the kite would not backflip.  I tried lunging forward and snapping harder/faster.  The Prism method is almost effortless in comparison to what I am doing.  So I am not sure what to try.

I even did three axels today.  You may not have recognized them as an observer but crude axels they were.   Grin

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 09:39 AM »

hey mac ,glad your having a good time and not getting too frustrated! the backflip will come it is just not as easy as it looks obviously  it is all about line management. you have to pull-pop evenly then keep the slack even.the prism vid is great but when you exaggerate the move that much there are all kinds of ways to NOT get it on its back evenly hence the death roll. when you get this trick it will open doors for you ..keep up the axle, stalls, and sideslides both hands hope this helps KO ps here is martin doing them RIGHT!!!http://www.youtube.com/user/DPmama74#p/u/16/tFGh4YPs62Q also look at the flapjack just forget about the jack part for now LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:20 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
biglos

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Took my Quantum out today and had a blast flying it. Very rare for me to get the kind of wind that it likes. One thing that I noticed is it is harder to get the Quantum into a turtle then what I am used to. I put a good hour into it and could do sweet axel's with it but it seemed to not like the turtle position. It lays on its back really slow. More then likely it is just the timing. I also kept missing trying to get it into fades when you're flying down, throw slack at it, and then popping. I could get into one from an axel pretty easy though.
Ace

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 06:52 PM »

Kitemac, you hit the nail on the head with the effortless remark. I think your yanking and spanking too hard.
The intial pull should be sufficient enough to put wind into the sail ONLY, the snap of the wrists should be short and sharp followed by 1-2 feet of instant slack (Kite dependant)
The Quantum you are flying is not very pitchy, try something with a higher aspect ratio, and if you really want to get things going try something with tail weight.

Finesse is the key Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
ko

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15 PM »

the quantum backflips just fine 

have fun kurt
Carlton

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44 PM »

I would recommend trying it about half-way up the window rather than at the top.  No one I know does tricks at the top of the window.

I agree here.  It's actually easier to do a backflip lower in the window and manage it once you're in a turtle.  At least for me.  I think it's easier to be quicker lower in the window.   

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
biglos

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 03:37 AM »

It is all due to experience level and technique. IMO, someone who hasn't been flying as long will have a more difficult time getting a Quantum to turtle vs. some of the other kites that give that position away.
ko

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44 AM »

ok i can go with that but does he have to buy another kite to learn it?? i agree everything comes easier with the kites i fly now but the quantum will do it and lazy susan he is a new guy. if you watch martins vid he shows the input for the backflip on the ground (like jim explains) which is by far the easiest place to do it.. holding it is completly different ,not easy anyway thats enough out of me 

have fun kurt
biglos

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 09:40 AM »

I'm having a blast with my Quantum. It takes a bit more wind then I usually get ( variable inland winds) but its a great kite. I am amazed at how easily it does other tricks. I even got a 540 in with it but only pulled the one off.
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 11:16 AM »

I am definitely using alot more brute force than in the video. 

Since learning the moves has not resulted in a hard hit for the Quantum I will try again my next time out with the Hypnotist.  It sounds like finding a kite which will meet me half way on the trick will help get the moves down. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document