GWTW Forum
October 02, 2014, 03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backflip Headaches! - Update  (Read 6236 times)
biglos
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 03:23 PM »

Kitemac,
I took the Quantum our for a few hours today and it will turtle but the timing is way different then in the video. I found out if you do a quick pop and throw slack, it will turtle no problem. If you are a bit lazy with the initial pop, it will not drop right into a turtle.

The Flare to a fade is quicker then you think it is as well. If you don't set up for it correctly, it takes a while to rotate or it will over rotate.

Hope that helps you out.
freecheese

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52 AM »

Don't see what step you think is missing.

The part where you actually launch the kite into the air...
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 01:58 PM »

The winds were with me today at LSP:  8-10 mph off the water. 

I filled the Hypnotist sail with wind then using a quick wrist movement was able to get the backflip over and over again.  Finally!!!

I can hold the backflip only when walking forward.  This does mean the kite is losing altitude.  Can you hold it just by adjusting line tension?

I was not successful with the Lazy Susan as each time the kite would come out of the backflip but felt pretty good that one more trick was added to my collection.   Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13 PM »

The Hypnotist is relatively heavy at 12.9 oz so it may not hold altitude on its back except in even higher winds, start high and you should have plenty of time though to try a few things.

First make sure you've given slack with your off hand before hitting the Lazy S, tension on the opposite wing will bring it out. I've also found that hitting your Lazy S attempt as soon as it goes on its back and the nose is still very deep is more reliable on kites that will fall out of a Turtle quickly. Alternately another small wrist pop while on its back followed quickly by slack may sit it deeper too.

I don't recall, does it have two bridle settings like some Prism's? If so you might try the alternate setting to see if it'll sit any deeper, that'll help with the Lazy S and may help to retain altitude while on its back too. If it then ends up being stuck on its back then just do a Lazy Susan, they usually go back to nose up after a rotation  Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 05:15 PM »

First make sure you've given slack with your off hand before hitting the Lazy S, tension on the opposite wing will bring it out. I've also found that hitting your Lazy S attempt as soon as it goes on its back and the nose is still very deep is more reliable on kites that will fall out of a Turtle quickly. Alternately another small wrist pop while on its back followed quickly by slack may sit it deeper too.

I don't recall, does it have two bridle settings like some Prism's? If so you might try the alternate setting to see if it'll sit any deeper, that'll help with the Lazy S and may help to retain altitude while on its back too. If it then ends up being stuck on its back then just do a Lazy Susan, they usually go back to nose up after a rotation  Smiley

Was not giving slack with my off hand maybe that is an issue.  As far as the dual settings I have the Hypnotist set up for "radical" setting.  Even with my crude skills it seems much more responsive that the Quantum with the "forgiving" setting.

As many times as I watch the DVDs I still do not pick up some of the finer points.

Thanks for the hints.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 08:54 AM »

great job mac it is hard to learn from vids but it CAN be done watch randy G's and martins vids also, sometimes you will pick up something from 1 that you missed with another  hey if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun IMO plus do what you are doing ask questions  one of the other forums in seattle is a great source .check the stickies hope this helps have fun KO

have fun kurt
biglos

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22 AM »

IMO, I think one the most important aspects is recognizing the orientation of the kite like when its in the correct position to do a trick. That is just as important as the proper input. Watch for the position the kite is in at the instant the pilot initiates the trick. This has helped me a ton.

So many times I had the kite in a position where a trick was possible but didn't even realize it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document