GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backflip Headaches! - Update  (Read 6318 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: May 01, 2010, 04:25 PM »

I have been struggling with the backflip for a month now and must be doing something wrong.  The kites I have been concentrating with are the Acrobatx (Std. and UL).  My Quantum seems a bit heavy to learn this on.

Based on the Freestyle Pilot I bring the kite up to the top of the window, pull down on the lines to fill the sail, snap the wrists and give slack.  My kite refuses to go on its back.

I also tried adjusting the bridle (nose away) and it made no difference.

The other day the winds were fluctuating when I tried to launch the UL.  The first pull brought the kite up 8 foot and it stalled.  I pulled a second time and it went into a backflip.  Feeling luck was with me I again went to the top of the window with the Freestyle Pilot instructions and the kite refused to go on its back.

So onto practicing my newly learned snap stalls using the slight pull, sharp pull and give slack.  The kite goes into a backflip. Going back to the top of the window and the kite will not cooperate.

What am I missing here or is the kite just playing with me?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:51 PM by Kitemac » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:42 PM »

Its a speed thing, not a power thing.

Start with your hands back pulled back with the lines taut, snap both at the same time and then immediately push both hands forward.  You should easily get a turtle and with practice the one-pop rollup.
It should be a fluid motion (snap, push), don't think of them as separate moves - its all over in a fraction of a second.

I would recommend trying it about half-way up the window rather than at the top.  No one I know does tricks at the top of the window.

6 kite tom
DonCrash
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 07:18 PM »

Doing the backflip at the top of the window is although just a way of learning/practicing it...nothing wrong with it. Thats where I've practiced mine.

Just as tpatter said, but to add, if you feel your lines tighten right after the snap, then you didnt provide slack right away.

I've taught a friend to backflip with the Quantum the same way (at the top), and the lazy susan the same day.

Goodluck mac.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:26 PM »

I think it's also wind speed dependent.....too high a wind and the kite can't stay on it's back....

FWIW

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:58 PM »

I agree with what DonCrash and tpatter said about not giving enough slack , i learned to do the backflip that way, and have taught others the same way.
filpee

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:27 PM »

I learnt with an E2 as per the prism dvd (top of the window).

Starting with your arms fully extended upwards the big pull sets you up for the slack, the pop stalls the kite and the slack gives the kite room to flip.

As per others here it sounds like your not giving it enough slack after the pop.
Crescent City
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45 PM »

The easiest way for me to get my Acrobatx to turtle is to fly it straight left past the middle of the window and then pop it with my right hand.  I like this method most of the time because the wind here is usually strong.  Good luck, and have fun practicing.  The turtle is going to open a whole bunch of new doors for you!
Kantaxel

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46 PM »

The easiest way for me to get my Acrobatx to turtle is to fly it straight left past the middle of the window and then pop it with my right hand.  I like this method most of the time because the wind here is usually strong.  

As in 'Snap Turtle' . Smiley

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:11 AM »

Yep, Speed & Slack, while I was first attempting it I'm sure I was giving too large of a pull/pop, more of a quick wrist pop worked better. Then my next challenge was getting the slack to the kite quick enough, it's got to happen very quickly. Depending on the wind and the kite a step or lunge forward may be needed to insure enough line to get the kite all the way on it's back too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:36 AM »

Thanks - definitely gives me something to work on the next time out.  I know I have it in me since it happens for unknown reasons.  Just need to harness that movement.  Quick snap and slack.

The one thing that was not expected is the length of time to learn a move.  Even what appears to be a simple move take quite a bit of time.  It makes me appreciate the skill level I see in many of the videos you guys have posted.
DaveH
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21 AM »

Great advice here. I think a key point is the quick step forward in stronger winds to allow the kite to fully enter the backflip, as Mikenchico said.   the Acrobatx sits nicely in a turtle, and as Tom mentioned will go easily into the single pop rollup.  Its a rollup machine!

One more thing I wanted to menton, when moving on to the lazy susan, doing the backflip higher in the window will make it easier to avoid a tip wrap.  Once you get a feel for the timing required you can do it lower.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:47 AM »

... The one thing that was not expected is the length of time to learn a move.  Even what appears to be a simple move take quite a bit of time.  It makes me appreciate the skill level I see in many of the videos you guys have posted.

Sometimes a trick just falls into your bag, like you said you've done this one without trying, and it becomes immediately repeatable. Sometimes finding that right movement and timing takes time.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 06:52 PM »

Put the kite on the ground on its wing tips in very light or no wind.

Let the kite sit back away from you and then bring it nose towards you.

As the nose starts to fall towards you throw your hands forward with a quick snapping motion and lunge towards the kite.

I guarantee you'll get a back flip: at least.

You may just get a roll up.

Wink
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:19 PM »

So, just to be clear, a backflip is the same position as a fade but nose away(lines over the LS's instead of the nose)? I guess I was thinking it was more than that...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Kantaxel

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:19 PM »

A backflip is also the 'kite being in the turtle'.  Many tricks are started or have the turtle as one of their components.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change