GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When a Trick isn't Working?  (Read 1581 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 02, 2010, 09:59 AM »

Another thread brought this to mind but it deserves it's own thread, I don't recall it being a dedicated thread during my time here.

What do you do when a trick just isn't happening for you? Do you continue to work on it or do you forget about it for a few days and go on to another trick, or do you just fly what you know?

I tend to back off, I'll go into just doing some precision, maybe start off a bit aggressive to relieve some frustration if any has built up, boxed infinity's, ground passes terminated with a kick turn back etc. Then calm down to some lazy infinity's and loops with the odd cascade thrown in to just relax.

Is it better for you to keep working on it, or will that re-enforce bad habits?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45 AM »

Old habits are hard to break, so I always take at least one day break, maybe check the vid again....then burn a fattie  Cool

"Do what you like"
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:48 AM »

I try to analyze what i may be doing wrong and keep on trying, if not successful , i will go on to something else i want to learn, or just practice what i know already . I will come back the next day or another time and try again.
Some tricks do take a long time to figure out and master than others. I find that to keep on trying ,especially when there is no one to point out your mistakes, just defeats the session and you end up learning the wrong inputs.
DaveH
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:26 PM »

I always take a break and just fly for fun. I like to invent shapes in the sky and watch the clouds slip under the leading edge.   I probably spend way too much time doing that.  Practice is work.  Kite flying is fun Smiley
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:31 PM »

Sometimes working on one component of the trick helps.

A lot of tricks can be broken down a bit.

Sometimes trying a different kite (if available).

Different wind conditions.

Mainly, just a bit of time to let your body forget what it was doing and start over. Sometimes working too hard doing something the wrong way over and over can make it hard to change. Muscle memory can work against you.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:45 PM »

I thought of a bit more...
My wind usually keeps me from working on any one thing too long.  I mostly fly whatever trick the wind is right for at the moment.  But if I do get stuck on something I'll take a break and just have fun.  I like breaking tricks down too, into "subsets of basics" to quote AW.   I find if I can get a handle on one element the trick will sometimes let me in the door, so to speak.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:59 PM »

I usually send it back and get another one, especially if it's still under warranty Grin
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:54 PM »

Believe me, BAD muscle memory (or just wrong input memory) is a lot harder to overcome than NO memory.

This is noticed more as one increases in age...............I may get a trick down someday, but it will have taken longer than it should have for sure........If it doesn't start to work in a hlaf hour or so...........take a break.  You'll be happier for it and more successful too.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DonCrash

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:01 AM »

When somethin isnt working for me, I do stall practices (landing, side slides, snap stalls); helps to loosen my feet and my hands a bit. Then do basics, then back to stalls again.

Then I think about what it is I'm doing wrong, attempt to perform the move, but instead of just trying to hit it, I pay attention to the feel of my lines (both tug and slack) and the kite position. Me and the kite are suppose to fly together, not force it.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:29 AM »

I like the fade when things are going badly - getting in smooth, holding it for a long time, sliding it left and right, slow controlled backspins.  It centers me back into being in touch with the kite.

It took me a long time to learn the comete, but I didn't practice it at all until I knew what the kite needed to do.  I think thats key - if you don't understand exactly how the kite must move during a trick, then you are wasting your time practicing it.  Once I understood how the kite should move, I got a consistent rough comete down in 2 outings.

I also agree on the "break it down" suggestion.  Especially for combo-based tricks, learning each individual move is less complex than trying string it all together at once.

6 kite tom
Winged V

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:22 PM »

When your having trouble with a trick try starting it with the other hand,works for me most times ,although it may look a little different coming from the other side.

Tricks can be very kite dependant,I have not hit a yofade with any kitea in my bag since a early proto FC , tried the trick on the newest in my bag the first attempt I choked it and nailed it the 2nd time.

That being said nothing and I mean NOTHING can take the place of Practice.... in all wind and space conditions and you will get it but it ain't going to be easy with a kite like the Quatum and such.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document