GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FREE 3 User McAfee Antivirus Software(after rebate)  (Read 1881 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: May 03, 2010, 07:40 AM »

Great deal if you have more than one computer and like McAfee products

McAfee Total Protection 2010 - 3 User for FREE

* Amazon.com is carrying this McAfee Antivirus Software for $25.00
    * There is a $25 Exclusive Mail-In Rebate on it until 05/08/2010
    * Shipping is Free on $25 or more
    * Final Price: $25.00 - $25 = Free + Free Shipping

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DWayne

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31 AM »

Giving away this almost totally worthless drag on your CPU is the only way McAfee can find to get people to use their software.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:26 AM »

Giving away this almost totally worthless drag on your CPU is the only way McAfee can find to get people to use their software.

Denny

What do you use?
DWayne

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:53 AM »

I use AVG internet security. Like all anti-virus software its always a day late and a dollar short. That's the nature of the game. Thousands of new virus programs are written daily. Its only after computers like yours and mine get infected that the anti-virus people become aware of them and add them to the protection software. The pluses to AVG are the firewall and that it doesn't add a serious drag to your CPU.
The surest anti-virus protection is a Linux based OS.  Wink

Denny

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:24 AM »

.... The surest anti-virus protection is a Linux based OS.  Wink

Denny
Interesting, open source like Linux is often the first to fall to hackers in contests, last one I read was 15 minutes for the the Apple Linux based OS10 whatever.

AVG has dragged both of the computers I tried it on to a screeching halt, so badly I elected to go without anti-virus and retain functionality until tax time and I could get McAfee for free with my tax software. Everyones experience is different, about like the "which kite is best?" threads. McAfee is a drain but any anti-virus is, my experience is it's less so then AVG.  Now AVG may just not play well with some software I run on all my computers, YMMV. Microsoft's new free AV in its Security Essentials has been satisfactory on the couple I'm running it on and reviews have been good. Avast, Avira, and Microsoft have been placing consistently above AVG lately.

As always the best protection is education, I've run without AV for years on connected PC's with no problems. Mike posted a great run down on computer safety a while ago, it's worthwhile reading for everybody although I can't find it again (Mike link back to it here)

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30 AM »

The surest anti-virus protection is......

...anything sufficiently obscure so that the nasty people don't have an interest in it so use this list to help you choose. These people may be unpleasant but they clearly have a firm grasp of statistics.

Also, with an 8 core CPU I'm a lot less worried by CPU usage than I am by the unpleasantness of infection.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:35 AM »

Looks like I need to start surfing with the Wii!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
DWayne

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:56 AM »

Interesting, open source like Linux is often the first to fall to hackers in contests, last one I read was 15 minutes for the the Apple Linux based OS10 whatever.

That's pretty much irrelevant really. People don't waste their time writing virus programs that are only going to effect a very few systems. Your choice of OS will give you much better protection than any anti-virus software will.

Denny

kiteking

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15 AM »

Mike posted a great run down on computer safety a while ago, it's worthwhile reading for everybody although I can't find it again (Mike link back to it here)

Is this what you were referring to?

I will refrain from commenting on the merits/problems of different software programs, I believe nothing is ever gained by bad-mouthing something/someone. When I find something/someone that preforms a function that is beneficial to me I will use it. If it doesn't work for me fine, it still might be exactly what you are looking for, but  I will let you decide. I personally do not use McAfee on my computers, I simply saw this great deal and offered it to the forum as that, a great deal.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 11:20 AM »

As always the best protection is education, I've run without AV for years on connected PC's with no problems. Mike posted a great run down on computer safety a while ago, it's worthwhile reading for everybody although I can't find it again (Mike link back to it here)

Needed to add, the best defense in the league isn't going to win a ballgame if the Offense is sitting on the sidelines.

Although still low Linux's popularity is rising, I'm even tempted to switch or at least dual boot these days since I'm disillusioned with everybody gathering information on my usage statistics for their profit without giving me a share. I think we'll be seeing more attacks directed at Linux and since the code is openly available it's an easier target, that is the relevance.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:23 AM »

Mike posted a great run down on computer safety a while ago, it's worthwhile reading for everybody although I can't find it again (Mike link back to it here)

Is this what you were referring to?

Yep, great write up Mike, worth the read IMO.

normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13 PM »

I've gone through a bunch of free AV programs and a bunch of free Firewalls on my current main computer (a pretty old IBM Thinkpad T40, bought used). The firewalls have done worse than the AV programs, but none of them have stayed great for long.

Each highly recommended firewall eventually "blew up" and got replaced with the next one. I'm actually back to ZoneAlarm (free) after years with the competition, and it's been behaving very nicely for maybe 4 months or so.

On the AV side, I kept using Avira for maybe 5 or 6 months or so, but I kept planning to get rid of it. It updates FREQUENTLY (like maybe 2x/day?), and each time, my computer slowed down a LOT, with no notice, no indication of what was tying it up or how long it would take, etc. It was more from tying up the HDD than the CPU, so it might be an especial problem on a "mature" laptop, with a slow HDD. (And it might not be helped much by a faster CPU or more RAM.)

I've just uninstalled it to try MS Security Essentials. So far, I've turned off the real-time monitoring, so it's no drag at all. My wife's been "going commando" -- no AV or FW -- for a long time now, behind our NAT router. . .

On the Linux question, I've installed a tiny minimalist distro called xPUD that does amazing things in NO time at all when I use it. It's perfect for logging on quickly in an airport or a coffee shop, because it boots up in maybe 15 seconds total, rather than "don't ask how long"!! And it shuts down instantly, too. It doesn't do much -- mostly wired or wireless browsing and file management -- but it does it pretty well and very fast!

I've also made a CD from the brand-new Ubuntu distro, but I've only run it briefly from the CD, haven't installed it (and may not). It seems nice.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography