GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A relaxing evening 3/21/09  (Read 2207 times)
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: March 25, 2009, 10:33 AM »

I was out goofing around with my 50mm f1.4 in no wind late in the afternoon.  Click for High res.

Just in focus

Calm

Goodbye sun

Discuss, critique, etc.  A neutral gradient filter would be nice, so I don't blow out the sunset in the future.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:06 PM »

The one thing I noticed looking at all 3 of the pictures:

You are looking down at the kites. During normal usage, we look up at kites. Particularly with kites on the ground, I will get down on the ground so I can have the horizon line showing. Can't always do it, but it helps make the kite look more dynamic if you can get below the kite.

The pictures are done well (first one's a little too dark, maybe raise the levels a bit), but feel very static.

Here is an example of an on the ground shot where I'm also on the ground:

Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:17 PM »

Discuss, critique, etc.  A neutral gradient filter would be nice, so I don't blow out the sunset in the future.
Or depending on the setup and camera capabilities, you could rapid-fire bracketed exposures, and then combine in photoshop.

I've been meaning to do some HDR photography this way, but haven't had the time.

and
benjai

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55 PM »

Nice photos Chris.

I'm no expert, but I like the focus/out of focus thing on the first one. If I may be so bold, have a go at cropping it so that less of the kite is in shot and see how it looks - it can sometimes be quite nice to go a bit more abstract.

@ John.  Good tips, and I have to thank you for the post on the old forum with your top-tips. I memorised that before my recent holiday (kite and pilot in shot, kite between camera and pilot, looking up at the kite, kite cutting the horizon) and came back with some nice shots (taken by my wife).

It's really hard getting good looking photos if you are on your own - they are alway so much better if the kite is actually flying. One thing I like to do to get the best out of a kite on the ground shot, it get low looking up (as John says), not be square on to the kite, and my favourite if the sun is low enough is to get it to clip the leading edge somewhere, oh and I like the odd-aspect-ratio-crop too. Like I say, I'm no expert, but that's what I like, for example:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:03 PM by benjai » Logged
CTaylor

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:58 PM »

Or depending on the setup and camera capabilities, you could rapid-fire bracketed exposures, and then combine in photoshop.

I've been meaning to do some HDR photography this way, but haven't had the time.

I would have done that had I thought about it at the time.  I was shooting with spot metering and locked in a few exposures of the sky, but the kite on the ground was far too dark to see in those shots.

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:56 PM »

Hey Chris...You're from Ohio, right? Will we be seeing you at the fest next weekend near Cinci?

and
kmac
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59 PM »

Very nice Chris.  Nice to see some depth and sharp, short, focus.  I look forward to seeing much more!
CTaylor

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 05:27 PM »

Hey Chris...You're from Ohio, right? Will we be seeing you at the fest next weekend near Cinci?

Yep, I'll be there.  It's my club that hosts the festival.  Grin  I'm hoping to get some pics during the festival while on safety patrol. . . Wink

Very nice Chris.  Nice to see some depth and sharp, short, focus.  I look forward to seeing much more!

Thanks Ken, I was shooting wide open on that lens at F1.4.  I'm liking it so far.  My second shot has a light vignetting around the edges that I added in post processing to add a bit of depth.  I'll have to get out and shoot some BMK kites soon for your gallery... Smiley
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:30 PM by CTaylor » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum