GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Competing discussion  (Read 3810 times)
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 05:25 PM »

I'm still a relative newcomer, but isn't this how competition used to be run?

We used to run precision as "League Style" for individual dual line fliers in the Intermediate through Masters classes.  This meant flying 4 preassigned figures in the context of a routine.  You'd call "in" at the beginning of the routine, "in" and "out" as you entered and exited each figure, and "out at the end of the routine.  The entire thing could be between 30 seconds and 4 minutes in length.  Novice precision then was run just as all precision is run now - 3 figures followed by routine.

I enjoyed it, but I have to admit it was a bit hectic to judge, and preparing for each competition was tough because you could get 4 entirely different figures at each event.  This made it hard to have a strongly choreographed routine, since kite placement depended entirely on the 4 figures assigned and the order in which they were expected.  Those were also the days before we had a small number of internationally-accepted, relatively simple figures.  Back in the day the AKA rulebook defined over 40 individual dual line figures, and some were complex enough to constitute mini-routines in themselves.  Lots of competitors (even Masters) took the field with the figures written out on their forearms  Shocked

I only flew League Style in my first season ('99 - '00); after that we switched to to the current form for all classes and disciplines.  I will say that given a reduced number of figures and a more reasonable time limit, I still think League Style could be made to work.  I always liked it...in theory.
johnfarl

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 04:14 PM »

I think the competition the way it is setup now is pretty good.  The compulsories are not boring to everyone.  I enjoy working on them and have benefitted from that.  The technical routine is not respected by a lot of competitors, I agree with Ron.  It is a good opportunity to choreograph a display of your skills.  Especially the ones you have perfected.

NWSKL usually runs precision in either side field like at WSIKF or more of the off times.  Spectators of course want to see ballet.  I think mix is actually a hinderance to spectators as they have to sit through compulsories that mean absolutely nothing to them.

Sport kite competition even tricks party is not going to be a great crowd pleaser.  We will get a few and some who are intellectually curious but that is about it.  Watching ballet will draw and if draw is what you want then let the specators vote.  But don't expect that to be real competition.

I think it is only for us and we take what we can get in the way of spectators.  I also think that competition is the way competent flyers are developed.  It forces some things that makes our flying better.  Otherwise who would ever worry about a square corner or exact kite placement.  Who would spend hours working on choreography unless you had to.
John Welden

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 08:28 AM »

Maybe we need something below novice precision for people who haven't figured out how to fly a square yet.  What if some guy that just bought a Beetle want's to compete, but doesn't have any precision flying skills or any flying skills for that matter?  Cheesy
johnfarl

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 10:06 AM »

NWSKL runs an informal Beginner class at larger festivals.  It is judged but lot of help given to the flyers so they understand what competing is about. It is very effective with kids.  But I don't think that needs to be an official AKA thing but more of a local recruiting tool.  Even better is to have a mentor for each participant.  Also good to have prizes for the participants.

That is a big step from the Beetle to Novice.  Bigger than Novice to Experienced.  To compete Novice you need at least 20 to 30 hours of decent practice and work on your routine.  Moving up is just continuing on and improving.  But it is scary the first time you seriously step on the field and you have no idea how the judging works.  NW league has been very good about helping Beginners and Novice.  Lot of good post mortem by judges to the flyers.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography