GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 12:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented?  (Read 6988 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12 AM »

I remember reading a posting about how much some fliers liked the vented Talon. They liked it as much as some like the Fearless.

I have a L'Atelier variable vent and a Nirvana HW. When it's blowing too hard it's not even worth it because it' so hard to get a stall. It DOES help when it's a bit stronger than a standard can comfortably handle. Otherwise, I fly a vented quad.

Bob D.
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 07:15 PM »

Hey Thanks a whole bunch on all the comments, I do love the low wind slack line tricks, but need to add a trick-able Vented to the bag for those high wind days, the Talon isn't bad, but would like to get the best trick-able Vented for the bag for those blustery days, I prefer a light pulling kite, not a heavy pull.
Thanks again
John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 10:54 PM »

Do you have a vented Talon?

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29 AM »

He's been flying mine.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 06:19 AM »

He's been flying mine.  Wink

Denny

I've been fortunate to have been able to fly Denny's on a few occasions, "Thanks Denny", its not bad in Hi winds,
Denny I'm looking forward to trying your next Vented Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 11:29 AM »

A Mantis VV on 120-foot by 200-pound test lines is capable of stalls, turtles and axels in 20-30 mph winds with the inner vents removed.The pull is fairly light at 20 mph -- about the same as a standard in 10 mph.   At those wind speeds -- I flew in them Saturday -- the kite tracks very well and with very little tip shudder even though the lower spreaders are Sky Shark 5pt black diamonds.  I'd like to get some 7pt BD even though the fives apparently are more than adequate.

This was the first time I've flown that MantisVV is winds like that and was impressed. Wink

Gardner
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 04:45 PM »

are you folks flying in measureable 20-30mph winds or just...it feels like?
To me winds in that range are a little hard to stand up in.... and the "sugar" sand beaches I go to would sand blast you to death... Cool

I prefer my 10 vent Sea Devil with both brakes and screens, when it is screaming like that...inland
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:48 PM by ezme6 » Logged

"Do what you like"
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 05:08 PM »

are you folks flying in measureable 20-30mph winds or just...it feels like?
To me winds in that range are a little hard to stand up in.... and the "sugar" sand beaches I go to would sand blast you to death... Cool

I prefer my 10 vent Sea Devil with both brakes and screens, when it is screaming like that...inland
+1
sustained 20 mph on the beach is a sand blast.

That kind of wind; old style micron on 90# 100' lines. The 'tricks' become all about reaction time. Cool

Sine Metu!
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 08:53 PM »

The L'Atelier XTS V.V. is a quite nice vented trickster, although it's very big and very heavy for my personal tastes. I've borrowed one a time or two. Interestingly, I owned an XTR V.V., and didn't like it nearly as much as the bigger kite, even in identical wind conditions. Might have been an individual kite tuning thing, too, though.

When the wind starts picking up now, I can be found flying a Rev 2 vent, which doesn't pull at all., mostly because I'm lazy. Shocked
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 10:30 AM »

ezme,

I was at a kite festival in Clovis, N.M. last weekend and had no choice Angry.  Sometimes you take what you get Sad.  I prefer winds in the 7-12 mph range.

Gardner
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 12:44 PM »

He meant the Fearless LV Wink   Cool

ATB,
Sam
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change