GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beach: The place where magic happens !!!  (Read 3319 times)
Bent
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 08, 2010, 05:48 PM »

I'm an inland kite flier and deal with bumpy, turbulent gusts along with the regular frustrations of learning this wonderful sport.

I had the chance today to visit the beach with my stunt kite for the first time.  What an incredible experience !!!!!!!!

I just started half axels, could barely do them on one side.  After my first hour at the beach I was doing them on both sides with a grin on my face a mile wide Smiley

The rest of the morning just got better.  The light but steady breeze was giving away 540s.  I've done a few at home but these were truly fantastic.  Then on to fades. I've done some at home but just couldn't get the feel for it.  After a few more hours I had a couple that gave and gave until I let them go.

For someone who is learning, the beach is a magical place.  To all those of you who are lucky enough to fly there all the time, well you are truly lucky.  Tomorrow, I trudge grudgingly back to my home, the place where I will still slug it out learning to fly but will always remember that day at the beach Smiley

John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:55 PM »

I call beach wind, "hero wind".

Nothing like flying at the beach in smooth air.

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:11 PM »

That sounds like a great day. I get to the beach whenever I can for just that reason, even though it is almost 2 hours away...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
Crescent City
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:25 PM »

I live on the Beach.  Well, within two miles of it.  The wind is not always perfect here.  But today it was.  Hero wind, I like that.  I hope tomorrow is just as good.  Cheers fellow kiteheads.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:45 PM »

This is the main reason I go to the beach...

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Do what you like"
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:27 PM »

"hero wind"

HEROwINd = HEROIN = addictive  Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:13 PM »

count me in also, ezme6  Cheesy  Cheesy
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47 PM »

count me in also, ezme6  Cheesy  Cheesy
+1 Grin

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11 PM »

big fan of straw hats are you?

Fdeli
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:40 AM »

What's also great, in case you didn't notice, is that your practice hasn't been for nothing.  There is a true story about a dutch guy named Kareloh.  He was good a few years ago, and has always been better than me.  He took a two week solo vacation to the islands in the north of the Netherlands maybe two or three years ago.  He did nothing but fly for two weeks on some of the best beaches around, we are talking hours per day.  In that time, he transformed into one of the premiere fliers in Holland.  It's so good for your flying, it would be hard to overestimate it.

Beach wind removes so many variables, and makes things happen so much more consistently.  This allows your brain, hands, and muscles to learn so much faster from mistakes.  Be sure to realize that you've learned a valuable novice lesson:  Flying inland requires you to be constantly aware of subtle changes in wind direction and speed which are minimized if not absent at the beach.  You weren't quite as bad as you thought, you just weren't coping with the wind as well as you'd hoped.  This will also be more obvious the next time you fly in your 'normal' conditions, which is a great thing.  As I am sure you'll notice now, inland wind can even blow or gust from slightly above or below horizontal at times!  Especially as a relative beginner, there is no substitute for perfect wind. 

That being said, you can find nearly as smooth of wind if you search for a field with the same 'infinity' in one or more directions.  I have found a couple flat hill tops in my area that give a similar (but not equal) smooth wind on occasion.

I think RXburner said it best...if you haven't flown your kites at the beach, you haven't flown your kites yet.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
tempest

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 04:11 AM »

Well said , obi .   Cool
DWayne

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 07:32 AM »

I call it "mythical wind". I've made several trips to the beach and never encountered anything that even remotely resembled "smooth air". In fact I've never experienced beach wind that was any less gusty (if it was blowing at all) than the wind here 200 miles from the beach.
I've heard lots of talk about it, and even seen videos of people flying in what appeared to be smooth wind. Just never experienced myself.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 08:04 AM »

I call it "mythical wind". I've made several trips to the beach and never encountered anything that even remotely resembled "smooth air". In fact I've never experienced beach wind that was any less gusty (if it was blowing at all) than the wind here 200 miles from the beach.
I've heard lots of talk about it, and even seen videos of people flying in what appeared to be smooth wind. Just never experienced myself.

Denny
When the wind is coming in off of the water, it's magical. Consistent direction and speed. But an off-shore breeze sucks just as bad if not worse than inland breeze. Also, bring a vented kite to the beach, the wind is almost always 5-10mph higher than it is inland. I fly inland once in a while, and it certainly is a challenge to keep up with the changing direction, updrafts, and speed changes, but I think it helps to train you to sense the wind better. When it's consistent, there's one less thing to think about...

Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31 AM »

Was it SKB who coined the phrase, "smooth, laboratory grade wind"?

Ron
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:35 AM »

come visit average temp 70 average wind 8 lab grade unless as rob says offshore bummer huh!!                           
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:40 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change