GWTW Forum
August 19, 2014, 10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beach: The place where magic happens !!!  (Read 3043 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46 AM »

Funny thing about ocean winds, Ive been to Bodega Bay and had a 3 to 4 wind from the South East, some of the best flying I have ever experienced, I've also have had it directly from the West, also pretty good, from the North or North West, not so good choppy and Gusty, not to mention it can get over 15 with gusts over 25. I guess it all depends on time of year and pressure systems. The more time you spend at the beach the better your chance of experiencing that Perfect Wind Grin

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35 AM »

I mostly fly on Kite Hill in Seattle where we have to deal with little to no wind (most often the case), too much wind, shifting speed direction, drop outs, blocking trees, small field, sloped terrain which prevents any reasonable ground wind, black berry bushes near the field, dogs on the loose, kids running under your lines, etc.

In short, I'd say it sucks by most folks flying standards (unless the wind is coming at 8mph from the N or S - then its quite nice even if the window is rather narrow), but I still have a lot of fun and its about the best that this area has to offer that I've found without having to drive all over the place.

When I do get to the ocean and fly in those "lab grade" winds, its incredible - everything is so much easier, but there are no guarantees.  Last year I spent a week at Cannon Beach and there was no wind (<1) the entire week save one decent afternoon or 1 hour at daybreak.  For flying, I would have had more fun THAT week at Kite Hill I am sure.

6 kite tom
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42 PM »

GRRR... I hate you!! Not really, just super jealous Cry

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 02:19 AM »

Yep flying at an ocean beach is nice....convenient as well. It`s right across the street from my house.
Dependent on the tides of course as to the size of space I can fly in....but I`ll tell ya the winds aren`t always great by any means. There`s been times when there`s whitecaps on the water 100 yds from where I`m standing and literally ziltch where I am. Or the times when there`s pathetic puffs from all directions, or really really horrible bumpy wind, or when it`s just nuking.
Or this last week....lots of beach....one day it`s about 15 mph....I hate high winds...stay in and work...try tomorrow. Next day hardly a puff...go flying anyway. Can`t go out the next day as I have clients over all day....winds are steady about 6 mph...finish up work but the tide`s in....
bt
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43 AM »

Yep flying at an ocean beach is nice....convenient as well. It`s right across the street from my house.

Do you have a spare room in your house ?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:31 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:04 AM »

Sounds like the winds at the reservoir to me, cids. why not put up a tent there ,then you can stay all weekend.   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
cids

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 06:27 AM »

Sounds like the winds at the reservoir to me, cids. why not put up a tent there ,then you can stay all weekend.        

Actually I'm planning to move into your house. Do u have a spare room ? Nice wind, kiteing pal to blow some hot air and Fearless VL...I'm in heaven.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:31 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 06:46 AM »

I alos think there is something to be said for the smoothness of the wind lower in the window at the beach ymmv

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46 AM »

Yup, good ground wind is very helpful. I tend to fly low a lot more at the beach. Seeing the backside of the sail during a really low 540 is cool. A lot of inland spots have a transition zone maybe 6-10' up that can be discombobulating. Almost always lower wind at ground level. Makes all kinda stuff harder than it should be.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 03:44 PM »

discombobulating  .......mmmuuuu... Sad ...... let me think  ...  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes ......   ah yes,  it happens at times where i fly  Wink  Wink  Cheesy
cids

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 03:59 PM »

Yes, sometimes there is no wind at the ground level(between 0ft. to 6ft.) and the kite suddenly fall down.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 05:56 AM »

I live in Cape May NJ a block from the beach. I try to fly daily but the wind does not always allow me to. With a sweet breeze it is  great and a beautiful place to fly. Not to mention the groupies! The nice thing about being in my area,when the wind is dead i have wildwood 10 min away and sunset beach on the bay side in equal distance. Im still a N00b and learning daily but i do feel blessed having a great place to fly!
Bent
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 07:38 PM »

I had a chance to fly after work today for the first time since being at the beach.  A bunch of it seems to have stuck with me!!!!  My fades have gotten better.  At one point, as I was in a groove with fades, the kite whispered, "flick flack" and so I did. To my amazement, I managed to pull three before gently landing in pancake on the ground.  My first flick flacks ever!!!  It seems like a little bit of beach magic followed me home Smiley
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55 AM »

A little late here but to be certain, there is no 12 step program yet devised to cure me of my addiction to flying kites at the beach. Unfortunately the nearest beach is 5.5 hours away. Sad

My wife and I have an agreement when we go to the beach. The first half of the day is mine to spend flying and the remainder of the day is her's. I have been mostly successful in sticking to that agreement...mostly. Wink

rickks
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 02:46 AM »

You never really know how good your kite is until you fly it at the beach.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document