GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REV question  (Read 1915 times)
kiteflyer82
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: May 08, 2010, 09:52 PM »

Whats up with the banana handles?

What is the difference between the shockwave and the supersonic rev's?
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10 AM »

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:24 AM »

"Whats up with the banana handles?"
Because the watermelon handles are too heavy and hard to hold:)

The Supersonic is a little smaller than the Shockwave, I think most people prefer the Supersonic.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:35 AM »

Banana Handles? you mean the curve to them? If so the curve places the wrists in their natural position when flying so your neutral point is your natural position. It also provides a self correction of sorts & keeps the handles oriented toward the kite.

The original handles were designed to balance on your index finger when it was placed at the top of the foam handle, that would be a neutral position leaving the kite in a hover mode. Not sure if that holds true today with the longer handles used on the smaller 1.5 as popular now, it was just something the Hadziki's pointed out when introducing their new kite back in 1990, doubt anybody ever spent much time balancing the Rev on their index fingers.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
bobw

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:07 AM »

I met one of the brothers, and they still set up beginners, especially people with dual line kite flying, so that the kites have a lot of forward drive, and balanced on their index fingers.  So, instead of pulling with your arms, its sort of pulling by turning your wrist or sort of pulling downwards with your ring fingers.

I'm probably not explaining it correctly, but tactilely (sp?) it makes sense.  In a good wind, it feels like you "pull" left to make the kite go left, and "pull" right to make it go right.  As the beginners progress with left/right, and see how they can make the kite stop, then the handles are set up with a more balanced neutral hand positioning.

For more info, there's a *lot* of good info on the revkites forum
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:35 PM »

Whats up with the banana handles?

What is the difference between the shockwave and the supersonic rev's?
Hey Ben ~ Banana handles?!  Cheesy  That's a hoot!

How's the flyin' going on the (your) SLE?

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:58 AM »

The difference between the Shockwave and the Sonic is that the Shockwave has a lot more pull in the kite.  The Sonic is just a tad faster through the air with less pull than the Shockwave.  Both kites are extremely fast and not really recommended for beginners to start out with.

I enjoy flying the Sonic and Shockwave in winds starting around 8mph and up.  Under 8mph both kites are very floaty and not that exciting to fly (IMO).  But when the winds pick up to 10-12, they come to life and are a total riot to blast through the air.

The banana handles - or curvature in the handles allow for faster snaps with the wrists for precision flying.  I have flown on straight handles and it is very difficult to do as well as very uncomfortable.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38 AM »

My first quad was a Supersonic. I had a hard time learning inverse hovers and side slides because it was too fast and twitchy. Years later I got the B Series and precision is a whole lot better. I suppose the Supersonic is nice if you like speed but the 1.5 is so much more fun for precision.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum