GWTW Forum
November 20, 2014, 12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line Length  (Read 2956 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Typically:
Line length is a function of kite wingspan.  Larger kite, longer line length.
Let's assume you have a 7 foot wingspan kite.
Trick line = 10 wingpans = 70 feet
All-around line = 12 wingspans = 84 feet
Figure flying  = 15 wingspans = 105 feet
These are guidelines.
40 feet is very short for a dual line set unless you're flying a smaller kite (4D for example)
Good luck.  Smiley
I'll go with what John recommends, since I couldn't find my slide rule to check his math

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12 PM »

Typically:
Line length is a function of kite wingspan.  Larger kite, longer line length.
Let's assume you have a 7 foot wingspan kite.
Trick line = 10 wingpans = 70 feet
All-around line = 12 wingspans = 84 feet
Figure flying  = 15 wingspans = 105 feet
These are guidelines.
40 feet is very short for a dual line set unless you're flying a smaller kite (4D for example)
Good luck.  Smiley
I'll go with what John recommends, since I couldn't find my slide rule to check his math
I agree. My first answer was made under the assumption of flying a smaller kite. I cannot say WHY I made that assumption, as there is nothing in the post relating to a small kite... Let's just call it a momentary lapse of reason! Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17 PM »

I started with 30 ft lines and really enjoyed them.

Then I stepped on them and had to find a new length.

I had 18 ft lines and just could NOT get them to do anything at all.  Nothing.  Hated em!

So I got 50 ft lines and did fine.

This past week I pulled out the 20 ft lines that I got with the 4D and gave em another try.  It all fell into place.  I am finally at a place where the shorter lines work.  I has to do with skill and confidence.  Absolutely amazing.

So...I recommend that you get 30-50 ft lines.  Stay away from shorter lines until you are good enough to control the kite all the time and it is just second nature to fly around.

That's what I say.  Your results my differ.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23 PM »

18' lines? That is like grabing the bridles with your hands and flying the kite.  Tongue

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 10:59 PM »

What Mark says on the video makes sense. Shorter lines let you see the kite and lines clearly. This can be a huge benefit when understanding how a kite reacts to your inputs as you learn slack line tricks. I think 50' would be short enough though but use what you have.

Otherwise like Zippy said, line length is really just personal preference.

I personally like 70-80' for standard and 50-65' for light winds regardless of the kites wing span. The penalty I pay is lack of height in the window more than the window width. One of the main benefits is more room to move about in small flying spaces with wind that shifts about often. Also I like 35-40' lines when the wind starts getting consistently under 1mph.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 01:41 AM »

+1
The first time I saw slack line tricks....we are talking `97 at the World Cup....the fliers were using about 40` lines iirc.
Initially I used 5`lines on a prism 3d in my backyard (and indoors) to see what the kite, bridle, and lines were doing and reacting to my inputs. Then I moved to longer...50 to 85` to try the tricks on bigger kites. But I sucked and still do suck at slack line tricks....not my style of flying.
When I do fly dualies these days I use varying line weights between 30 and 50` for small kites and 65 to 100` for the bigger ones...this depending on mood and wind.
Hijack...also after flying Revs about 80% of the time since about `96 I still like to put up a Rev 1 on about 35` lines from time to time as it`s more like manipulating a puppet than flying a kite...great fun. Usually with these it`s from 50 to 100`. The "standard team" 120` length for Revs....for me...yuck!!! Personal preference.
That all said..fly on a variety of different lengths and weights for different moods and winds.....it`s all good.
Again personal preference.
bt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39 AM »

I enjoy shorter lines often also ~50 foot, I seldom enjoy anything over 75 foot + leaders. But it is also kite dependent, some kites don't do well on short lines IMO. I was using them exclusively for a while and decided to fly the Exile one day rather then the Widow Maker's, Freestylist's and Mamba, not a good experience.

Another one of those questions where there isn't a right answer, the answer is dictated by personal  preference, conditions and the kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum