GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sul  (Read 7042 times)
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 04:23 PM »

Serge! Look at what you started! Huh

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 04:47 PM »

some  time  it  is  just  best  to   go fly  a kite   so everyone  just  go fly one of  your  kites  and  smile

Good air always Bobby
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 04:49 PM »

Steve is selling this kite for $65 shipped

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3106.0;topicseen

Like I said, man not kite.

Made in China and all that...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:51 PM by ezme6 » Logged

"Do what you like"
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 04:40 AM »

First off, let's make sure we all know that there is only an SUL when the maker decides to make a kite lighter than their UL.  It means little or nothing, esp. when most standards will overlap with the wind range of both the SUL and UL.  It's very rare that the SUL, UL, and standard are all essential kites.  Most sets I own (and those of dutch pilots I call friends) are UL and standard, or SUL and standard. 

If you mean literally flying in zero wind, good luck.  1000 answers...all not quite ideal.  Flying in zero wind is a compromising situation regardless of the stunt kite of choice.  Here, you will need to learn how to make it fun by practicing alot in these conditions.  You will NEVER find a true SUL stunt kite than is as fun to pump and trick as it's standard buddy is to fly and trick in wind.  This kite would need to stretch the laws of physics.

If you mean flying in some wind...anything where smoke from a cigarette moves away from you in a predictable direction...loads of UL's will fly well.  This is much more pilot dependent than kite dependent, given a reasonably good SUL/UL kite.

Be careful:  Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that a particular/special SUL will give you a significant number of additional days on the field flying.  IT WON'T.  Practice with any decent SUL will get you what you want.  If it is the compliment to your standard, even better.

What part of this is anything but smack on point, dead on balls accurate??  Do I not state 'more pilot dependent than kite dependent'??  Do I not tell him the honest truth...that practice in SUL conditions will make you better, regardless of the kite you choose?  Are there really any experienced fliers who believe that zero wind and low wind flying are the same?  Then what are we on about?  Wouldn't you advise him to buy the SUL that is related to the standard he likes best??  If not, what then?  Learn two or more kites while learning the basics?

I have not flown a Fearless, but I have seen video.  I can tell you that I have also not flown a Vendetta SUL, but that video is INFINITELY more convincing than the Fearless SUL video posted here.  At least in that video, the wind is SUL wind.

One more time for the cheap seats:  Doing a comete to the ground on a UL with some wind is NOTHING unusual at all.  Get over it.  There are literally hundreds of members of this forum who could do that on their respective ULs.  It's not allowed to say, *How many SULs can do that* because the answer is ALL OF THEM!  Sheez.

Fliers post replies whenever developing fliers make claims based on inexperience and glee, rather than measured enthusiasm.  This topic always brings out the crazies.  The Fearless is an expensive, well made, and in the eyes of some, beautiful stunt kite that does everything all the others do while specifically making the insane L/R the easiest trick beside the nose plant.

Like the DS, Nirvana, Cosmic, Vendetta, Sea Devil, and others...it's arguably the best stunt kite in the world. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 06:03 AM »

Define what a SUL kite is - GWTW thread number 4006. Roll Eyes
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06 AM »

ALL OF THEM!  Sheez.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30 AM »

ALL OF THEM!  Sheez.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Is this funny because you think it's not true?  If so, it's this 'attitude' (untempered by your inexperience) that leads to threads full of frustration regarding SUL/ULs. 

If you can't comete, how would you ever know? 

If you don't have several SUL/ULs, how would you ever know?

I can't comete cascade well, but I guarantee in the conditions in the video, on a Nirvana SUL, Essence UL, SD light, DS UL, and several other kites I would be able to comete in one direction just fine.

obi
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:40 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
cids

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 03:27 AM »

ALL OF THEM!  Sheez.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

No. You misunderstanding me.
After your comments, I did more searching in the youtube and saw a few more videos regarding other great SUL. Yes, they do fly and trick in very low wind.
Thanks for your advices in helping me to widen my 'field of visions'.

My Comete is still under construction. I got a very consistant first 3 inputs only. One direction only. I cracked through 1.5 rotation only once. What's give ?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:01 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Daves1980

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 11:50 PM »

You are looking for a sul? Looks this! Wink

K2 SUL by Challenger Sails - First flight.

Davide Equizzi
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 05:57 AM »

Nice tricky SUL ......  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 06:10 AM »

Nice flying David.  Cool

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Beachbum
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44 AM »

Judging from my experinces with the K2 the SUL would be the one to get.

Too bad I will never need a SUL....
Daves1980

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 11:13 AM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

Here you can find info about this kite: *challengerkites.com*

*Direct link removed*
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:40 PM by JimB » Logged

Davide Equizzi
cids

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 08:45 PM »

This is a mouthwatering kite.  Tongue Cheesy Wink

Thanks for the video.  Kiss

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document