GWTW Forum
May 28, 2017, 03:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Wildwoods International Kite Festival  (Read 333 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: May 24, 2017, 11:06 PM »

So ...do I have this right? After looking at a few web sites that advertise this years Memorial Day weekend at Wildwood, NJ ....it appears there isn't going to be ANY sport kite competition this year at all! None. ....Am I reading the information correctly?
Fly Market
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:55 AM »

There wasn't any last year either. The sport kite competition got smaller and smaller and smaller until it just became unsustainable. Still plenty of sport kiters coming out to play, they just aren't competing.
photogbill
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:36 AM »

I kinda suspected that! What a shame! Years ago it was a huge competition event.
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:27 AM »

I kinda suspected that! What a shame! Years ago it was a huge competition event.
The Wildwoods event organization appeared to care little about the competition, hence its decline.

-Frazer
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22 AM »

I think sport kite competition died a natural death -- not enough people willing to compete. I watched Wildwood go from a crowded sport kite event with multiple heats in events to, maybe, ten people running and participating in the in the competitions. (I don't compete so I must be part of the problem.)

Sherman Myers
Alpine, Utah
Frazer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:15 PM »

I think sport kite competition died a natural death -- not enough people willing to compete. I watched Wildwood go from a crowded sport kite event with multiple heats in events to, maybe, ten people running and participating in the in the competitions. (I don't compete so I must be part of the problem.)
I know why it died, I'm the promoter of the Old Dominion Sport Kite Championship - which traditionally was the subsequent event on the calendar.

But you're not wrong about the diminishing number of competitors ...

-Frazer
Fly Market
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:23 PM »

Thankfully, Kurtis Jones has organized a predominantly sport kite event in north Jersey this weekend. No competition, but lots of demos. Looks like he's trying to provide an alternative to Wildwood.
Frazer

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:42 PM »

Thankfully, Kurtis Jones has organized a predominantly sport kite event in north Jersey this weekend. No competition, but lots of demos. Looks like he's trying to provide an alternative to Wildwood.
Makes a lot of sense - demos are better for spectators and anyways ... and there are many fliers who prefer not to compete, but can be persuaded to fly a demo.

-Frazer
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53 PM »

Being in my backyard I do have these comments:

1. There is also a festival in Long Branch, NJ in April but the weather has been awful in both annual events. So did not attend.
2. There is just not any competitors for Wildwood. Diminishing through the years. I tried for the first time Virtual Freestyle so will continue with this event.
3. That is a great field Kurtis has picked. If the winds are SE,SW,S or NE or N its almost beach winds. Incredible park - NEW Overpeck Park. I consider it EQUAL to Liberty State Park minus the NY skyline backdrop. Just talking field/wind. Locals actiually call it the KITE FIELD.
4. LBI is kicking ass - just hope for good weather in October. Last year it was a KILLER.
5. Asbury Park, NJ tried its first annual kite event but it was washed out two weeks ago. Sixth Avenue Beach.
6. There is also Seaside Park, NJ Wednesday night flies ... still need to attend one of these ...
7. Belmar, NJ also has an event but its tough if the winds are WEST. There was only one kite flying for half the event. It was a Lam Hoac Tattoo dual by the water's edge (Really!) ... low winds and pure west. It was tough for SLK's and heavier dual line kites. However there was no top rev flyers that attended last year.

APJ

Kite inventory of Dual Line Kites:Benson - Inner Space; L'Atelier xt.z.; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Light; GPS -SUL, Light, Vent Light/4 Panel Vent-design, Full Vent 5PT design ; Mind Trick SUL Custom 2PT Design, Triple S Mind Trick construction (SSSUL) - NEAR ZERO WIND INDOOR TYPE.
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 06:38 PM »

Wildwood is getting smaller and smaller. As I live in central jersey I would rather drive to Liberty state park and fly with the Crew up north than spend tons of money for room, food,and travels.
      The amount of people Kurtis is getting this year is amazing and he always puts on an amazing event. We all help one way or another. Not saying wildwood is bad but people are going elsewhere........ as long as your flying and having fun with friends and the crowds. Keep going and flying anywhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom