GWTW Forum
June 27, 2016, 10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 East Coast Sport Kite Championships / Wildwoods International Kite Festival  (Read 2143 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: March 17, 2016, 11:25 AM »

The East Coast Stunt Kite Championships at the Wildwoods International Kite Festival are now accepting online registration.  Competition organizer Dennis Smith and Chief Judge Jack Wilson are returning to Wildwood for Memorial Day Weekend 2016 to bring you a one-day, ballet only competition, keeping you free to enjoy more of the festival!  Once you've registered for ECSKC on the Eastern League website, don't forget to mail your payment to Sky Festivals to complete the registration.

Full competition details can be found on the Eastern League website.

Beatrix Pelton has asked that I direct everyone's attention to the Wildwoods International Kite Festival Facebook page for all festival announcements. 
photogbill
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:45 AM »

No Stunt Kite Competition? ...at ALL? Seriously?

Things sure have changed over the years! I remember this being a huge competition event with several days of competition in various categories. We  ...or somebody must be doing something wrong!
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:56 AM »

Does it even have a name yet?

This comment was intended to be posted on this thread: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=13447.0 about the new Benson Kite that doesn't appear to have a nmae yet!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:03 PM by photogbill » Logged
Frazer
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:30 AM »

No Stunt Kite Competition? ...at ALL? Seriously?

Things sure have changed over the years! I remember this being a huge competition event with several days of competition in various categories. We  ...or somebody must be doing something wrong!
Well, when was the last time you competed in the league ?

As the saying goes "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"

You can't expect people to continue volunteer their time (and promoters their money) if nobody bothers to show and compete.

And just so we're clear everybody, no I'm not picking on Bill ... this applies to the rest of y'all as well Roll Eyes

-Frazer

photogbill

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 12:29 PM »

Frazer ...No offense taken but I think your reply over-simplifies the issue! To your point ...I've been a non-competitor for over 30 years ....and 30 years ago my non-participation didn't keep dozens of competitors from competing! I have...from time to time spotted for competitors & have made numerous friends over the years from my non-participation-participation in kite events!

In talking to a few (more than 2) competitors over recent years who are better fliers than I am ...there seems to be a consensus that the better fliers are actually 'penalized' for adding tricks to their routines (sometimes by less capable fliers judging those events) ...which doesn't give those better fliers much incentive to continue competing! This observation is denied & rationalized by some in the sport but the denials fall on deaf ears to those of us who have observed this trend!

There doesn't seem to be any "new blood" in the game! It could simply be a sign of the times! Perhaps too many other choices ....or just a generation that can't take their eyes off their cell phones long enough to explore new things! There isn't a "WOW" factor in many sport competition events that I have been to in recent years. To get that "new blood" they need to see more than someone flying around in pretty circles! With a few exceptions from just a few fliers ...It's rare to see a single 'trick' performed in most of the recent competition events I've watched & attended in recent years.

To illustrate my point ... for the last couple of years I've had a married couple (same couple) come off the board-walk in Wildwood .. walk out past the competitor field & ask me why I wasn't competing. I'm not saying this in an attempt to do anything other than illustrate my point! The husband actually has been flying a couple years & is growing in his skills but doesn't get to meet or fly with any other fliers very often. So the trick videos he has & tries to learn from aren't as helpful as a hands on approach with another flier who can watch them & give them feedback. I actually taught him how to do a flap jack last year which made him extremely happy & made me proud! The last couple years in treasure Island I had the privilege of befriending another relatively new flier & helping him learn a flap-jack, fade, back-spin,  & a JL. So, I do try to contribute to the sport ...in my own way rather than on the competition field!

....But ask yourself a question ...when was the last time you saw anyone do either of those relatively simple tricks in a ballet routine?

I'm not intending on offending or insulting anyone here but these issues are REAL ....and need to be discussed & addressed ....but until they are ...things won't improve as far as competition goes at events ....or bringing new converts into the sport!

I must admit that there are ONLY 2 (Wildwood, NJ & Treasure Island MLK Weekend) sport kite events that I have regularly attend over the last 8 years or so ...maybe other fliers at other events around the country have had different experiences. I hope so!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:40 PM by photogbill » Logged
Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49 PM »

Hi Bill,

I guess we are all trying the same as you, passing trough the kite bug.....
The individualisation of our world does not contribute to gatherings and competitions.
But, usualy interest in certain hobby's moves with a wave like motion.
Lets hope, after the lows that we experience, there will be highs....

And offcourse keep 'm flying!!!!!

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
Frazer

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:01 PM »

....But ask yourself a question ...when was the last time you saw anyone do either of those relatively simple tricks in a ballet routine?
I prolly have issues with the rest of your post ... but I'll focus on this line.

I've flown at ODSKC and OBSKC each of the fast 5 years or so and have always had simple tricks in my ballet routine, as have most of the Experienced and
Masters level fliers. The only time when tricks are noticeably absent at when the winds are ballistic, which might we have been the case at Wildwood in years
past when you spectated. A cascade is no easy matter in 20mph+

-Frazer
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:08 PM by Frazer » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06 PM »

I prolly have issues with the rest of your post ... but I'll focus on this line.

I've flown at ODSKC and OBSKC each of the fast 5 years or so and have always had simple tricks in my ballet routine, as have most of the Experienced and
Masters level fliers. The only time when tricks are noticeably absent at when the winds are ballistic, which might we have been the case at Wildwood in years

-Frazer

Obviously the last paragraph of my post applies you you and your experiences! Different places at different times! Glad to hear that my experiences are not the norm! You have to admit there is obviously a problem with the Wildwood event as far as competition goes...and it isn't because of the wind!
Frazer

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11 PM »

-Frazer

Obviously the last paragraph of my post applies you you and your experiences! Different places at different times! Glad to hear that my experiences are not the norm! You have to admit there
is obviously a problem with the Wildwood event as far as competition goes...and it isn't because of the wind!
Rather than complain about the sorry situation, why not help to something about it, join the Eastern League and compete or volunteer ? You'll be made very
welcome, the EL are a lovely bunch of folks. I'm sure you'd fly plenty well ... and its just for fun anyways ... its much more about getting together and hanging
out than anything resembling a serious competition.

As for Wildwoods - I'm afraid I've never attended - its always clashed with school holidays and a family vacation and a kite festival isn't my wife's idea of a
beach vacation. But from what I understand the competition there was never made much of priority by the organizers and I guess people got fed up of being
taken for granted.

-Frazer
photogbill

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome & I may just take you up on your offer some day! I have met & befriended some of the fliers in your neck of the woods. Also, I have already volunteered to participate in the judging in the next Treasure Island MLK weekend event! And although I never seriously considered competing ...I have considered "competing" at the Treasure Island event more for the sake of the sport & the spectators that show up in the middle of the winter months!

Going back many many years in Wildwood ...things were definitely different then the way they have evolved today! I'll be there again this year ...more to hopefully meet up with fellow fliers I've befriended there over the years!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24 PM »

Things change - compete and then volunteer to become a judge and score well done tricks higher.

When my son and I competed, we felt similarly, where are all the tricks?  After the 3rd year, there was a big change as most of the competitors were young and completely into doing tricks. As a result, everyone was including them. 

The thing is, they have to be well done and integrated.  With super solid sharp flying and a good routine, they really add lunch.  If done badly, it just detracts from everything.

I've not been involved in the last several years, so I'm not sure of the current status.  Tricks are such a nitche category, I'm not sure how well understood they are to the general public for the most part. The dramatic stuff is understood,,but the floppy floppy tricks are hard for them to understand.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom