GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 03:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saber II Video Introduction  (Read 5863 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: May 13, 2010, 12:03 PM »

Will Sturdy recently sent me a demo Saber II to try out.  I have flown the kite on 3 occasions and last time out I decided to do a little intro video about it.  I've flown it in a variety of winds, the video was shot in 7-14mph as far as I could tell.

Saber II Intro

I was impressed with how readily I adjusted to the kite - it does everything that I can do pretty darn well.  I picked up the lines and I was able to do all I can do with little adjustment time - solidly without quirks.   I had alot of fun with it - fantastic cometes and rollups.  I could also tell that it seems to really like to flatspin and taz as well (although I can't yet taz very well). 

From what I had read, I assumed that the Saber II requires large and aggressive inputs, but I didn't find that to be the case - its an easy kite to get in a groove and have fun with (its not work to fly).

I like it better than many other kites that I've flown including many that cost much more - I'd say it is for sure worth more than Will charges for it.  Perhaps he should raise his prices!  Smiley

some key points:
- JLs nicely
- comete machine
- rolls up fast and easily
- multis easily, lazys well
- can trick fast or slow depending on the speed of your inputs.
- solid feeling on the lines - it does not pull hard, but you know its there for sure.  I think this sail pressure helps with tricks like the comete.  At the same time, its easy to dump that pressure to stall and hold it.
- axels and flat spins nicely
- very solid fades - readily rises.
- practical and easy to use weight system (hex nuts)
- bridle adjustment for drive
- smooth lower spreaders
- reinforced TE, stopper covers, nose
- built-in yoyo stoppers
- flys reasonably low (very fun at 4 I'd say, but will go lower)
- I like the sound it makes when the wind gets up - a dull roaring (not overly loud).  no leech line (yeah - never liked them)
- well built
- looks good with clean lines

Thanks for the opportunity to demo your kite Will - I enjoyed it!

-Tom

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:21 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:13 PM »

Great looking kite and skilled flying, thanks for posting.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:50 PM »

fine looking kite and a great job showing it off tom,, really well done thank you KO          can i have it next?? had ta ask lol

have fun kurt
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:52 PM »

Great looking kite and skilled flying, thanks for posting.

ditto Smiley

"Do what you like"
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:01 PM »

Looks like I have some work ahead to fly mine like that! This kite is fantastic! I love the construction on it and you can see how it flies...I can't add anything except get yourself one!

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:05 PM »

35 grams in the tail.  Shocked
Is that your preference or the recommended loading?

Also, the velcro flap looks short for the amount put on the sail. The only way to match up the velcro would be to shorten the spine??

Nice video, thanks.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:15 PM »

35 grams in the tail.  Shocked
Is that your preference or the recommended loading?

Also, the velcro flap looks short for the amount put on the sail. The only way to match up the velcro would be to shorten the spine??

Nice video, thanks.

I think he ships it with the full-boat, but you can certainly take whatever you want out and the kite flys fine - Will mentioned to me that some tricks can be easier with less.  At some point I would imagine that it would rollup slower with less weight.

I didn't notice anything odd about the velcro on the kite - I'll check it, perhaps it was something I did on the video.  I flew the tar out of it and nothing moved or ever popped out.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33 PM »

Thanks for posting the video Tom!

My preference is the full 35g.  Some might prefer it with less, it's a personal thing.

It's alright that the velcro doesn't quite meet. That's how I make them.

Anyone else who wants to get in on the demo can drop me an email.
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Great video tom. I really liked when you showed the kite up close and talked about it.  I don't remember anyone else having gone into that much detail.

You are going to have to teach me some of those tricks. Looking good....
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51 PM »

*thumbs up*
Really nice video.
Nice looking kite too.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:54 PM »

Thanks guys!  Glad you liked the video.  I was thinking that its nice to be able to see the kite a bit as well as some of how it moves.  I love the name of this kite - what Jedi flyer would be caught without their "Light Saber"!  Smiley

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 01:24 AM »

if the demo made it to vegas, i can think of four or five people at our weekly fly who'd be excited to try it out.

nice video tom, thanks.

Fdeli
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:54 AM »

Definitely an informative video...but you should have started flying at about one minute in  Cheesy.

I have to say, I have been curious about this kite for a while.  Some random thoughts:

1.  You walk pretty briskly backward, despite the obvious decent wind, while doing the comete.  Of course, this could be 1000 things, but from what I could see, this is probably a tail weight thing.  Every input to flare, the nose also yanks that weight (and thus the kite) toward you despite the wind.

2.  It also seems to have a not-so-level cascade...again, probably a tail weight thing. 

3.  That ROCK solid fade...flop, flip, spin, flop...LOCKED...that is a tail weight thing.

All of these things are very similar to what I experienced with the SeaDevil line.  They also come with a small neutron star hidden in the tail, and that's just crazy and totally unnecessary.  Yeah, you don't need to move your feet for a yo-yo, and the fade is ROCK...but with the added annoyance of the kite constantly having extra momentum that needs extra input to control.  Next time out, it might be an idea to start with little or no weight, and that add a bit after a some flying.  I'd love to have a go with this kite to try out this theory.

(This is not to say that Will doesn't know what he's doing.  Of course he does.  So does Lam.  But they both fly their kites with too much weight in the tail.   Wink  )

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 04:52 AM »

Definitely an informative video...but you should have started flying at about one minute in  Cheesy.

I have to say, I have been curious about this kite for a while.  Some random thoughts:

1.  You walk pretty briskly backward, despite the obvious decent wind, while doing the comete.  Of course, this could be 1000 things, but from what I could see, this is probably a tail weight thing.  Every input to flare, the nose also yanks that weight (and thus the kite) toward you despite the wind.

2.  It also seems to have a not-so-level cascade...again, probably a tail weight thing. 

3.  That ROCK solid fade...flop, flip, spin, flop...LOCKED...that is a tail weight thing.

All of these things are very similar to what I experienced with the SeaDevil line.  They also come with a small neutron star hidden in the tail, and that's just crazy and totally unnecessary.  Yeah, you don't need to move your feet for a yo-yo, and the fade is ROCK...but with the added annoyance of the kite constantly having extra momentum that needs extra input to control.  Next time out, it might be an idea to start with little or no weight, and that add a bit after a some flying.  I'd love to have a go with this kite to try out this theory.

(This is not to say that Will doesn't know what he's doing.  Of course he does.  So does Lam.  But they both fly their kites with too much weight in the tail.   Wink  )

obi
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
You should see how much weight is in the tail of a Fearless !

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 05:06 AM »

Part of Prism's optional Quantum Pro weighting kit:-

For when the 20g. and 40g. weights were deemed inadequate.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum