GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airbow tips?  (Read 3577 times)
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: May 13, 2010, 08:38 PM »

After taking my "new" Airbow out for its first spin this week, I can see there's a lot in this kite waiting to be discovered. I was able to get a couple of yo-yo's and barrel rolls out of it (despite the bumpy winds).

However, I'm not that great of an explorer in terms of kite tricks, and so was wondering if anyone had any tips on pulling freestyle tricks out of the kite. 

I've done general internet searches and have read the FA forums and the aeolien (or however you spell it) website, but haven't seen much in the way of "here's how to do an airbow axel" type instructions.

Also, is there any available copy of ABW's Flying Techniques video?  From what I can tell, it went out of production, and then was posted online (at least until FA reworked their website).  Is there any available download or does someone have a copy to sell or loan me?

Thanks in advance for any pointers. 

Steady winds, y'all.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:19 AM »

An Airbow!! You don't see that mentioned too often. I have a feeling there aren't a lot of people who have one because they sure aren't mentioned all that often. If it's the Trick and Treat video that you're talking about I don't think he explains any tricks in the quad department.  I've borrowed a copy and it's all dual line.

Bob D.
RobB

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:38 AM »

I'm interested to hear about the Airbow... one of the best looking quad line kites I've seen. Never seen one in person, but almost bought a couple out of the swap, they were snatched up before I could put word in. From the few videos that I've seen of them, it looks like they can do more tricks (or different) from a Rev.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55 AM »

If it's the Trick and Treat video that you're talking about....

He's not. He means this one.

You used to be able to DL it from Aeolian but that was 2 years ago  Wink

Not many AirBows made it out of the UK. Probably not sufficiently "Rev". You might get better mileage asking at The Other Place™.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06 AM »

Wow! I hadn't heard about another video from Tim! I have to check out the other forums more often.

Bob D.
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:11 AM »

Wow! I hadn't heard about another video from Tim!

That would be because it isn't from Tim.

Edit:- oh yes. There are some outtakes to DL here. Contains AirBow.

Mike.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:13 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:13 AM »

I'm curious as to what a barrel roll would be with a quad line. I think many of us were waiting for that kite with eager anticipation. Multiple release delays, the currancy exchange and final pricing kind of killed that, for me at least. Maybe some day, hope you enjoy yours.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:14 AM by kitelover » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41 AM »

i liked it....would add one to the bags if i could find one in a good price range....
loved the look....sort of why i am also interested in the Volksquad from NT....same sort of look....

there are a handful in the US...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:10 AM »

i have one and love its aquad thqt can do dual line tricks

Steve & Sherri
dagnabbit
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 09:17 AM »

I've done a move in lighter wind (about 5 mph) where I'd hover the kite about  mid-window, transfer the handles to my left hand, grab the two upper lines, take a step back and pull with both hands, then throw the lines out of my right hand and take a step forward.  Airbow flipped over and settled into its front, just floating there.  I was going for a rollup, but failed quite nicely.  :-)

The two things that really bug me are unfinished lists....
Texanpilot

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:21 PM »

I'm curious as to what a barrel roll would be with a quad line.

To draw the mental image, take the kite, point one wingtip at you, one away from you, and then proceed to spin it along its long axis, as in several one-way yo-yos.

Wardley has a video of him flying a production Airbow in his "Stoked" series.  June 2004, I believe, but don't quote me on it.   

Steady winds, y'all.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22 PM »

Tim still makes 'em if you want one.
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 05:14 AM »

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but there is a vid of Andy Wardley flying the Airbow Here

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Texanpilot

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 09:01 AM »

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but there is a vid of Andy Wardley flying the Airbow Here

Thanks for the link.  That's the "Stoked" video I was talking about.

Steady winds, y'all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum