GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 12:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibram 5 fingers  (Read 3065 times)
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 17, 2010, 09:41 AM »

Hey guys
   I was wondering if anyone out there wears vibram five fingers shoes? i love mine and i wont wear shoes again lol. i have a pair of bakilas blue and yellow and they rock big time.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:34 PM »

I am on this train.  I have been for a while.  I have the lightest version now, but have been thinking I need the heavier version as well.  I think they have one with a heavier sole.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49 PM »

Interesting!

I go barefoot just about anywhere and then wear Tevas in rough terrain. Maybe I should give these a try. They look hot & sweaty though compared to sandals.

Put some fur on the top and you've got high-tec hobbit feet.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11 PM »

I've seen these quite a few times - gotta admit, the look of them sort of freaks me out a bit.

Compared to a regular shoe or sandal, what do they offer thats better?  How are they at keeping sand out at the beach?

6 kite tom
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19 PM »

I've seen these quite a few times - gotta admit, the look of them sort of freaks me out a bit.

Compared to a regular shoe or sandal, what do they offer thats better?  How are they at keeping sand out at the beach?

They are low "shoes".... I think that alone says that sand will eventually win the breach battle.  As for sweaty, I think they are expecting you to spring for the "5 Finger"  Coomax socks.

The "sell sheet" on the benefits read something like this:
Many experts believe the shoes we wear not only cast the foot in a protective form, but also weaken our foot and leg muscles, leaving them underdeveloped and more prone to injury. And while there are many occasions where traditional footwear is essential for protection, safety, and security, it is equally important to stimulate and exercise the foot in a more natural state on a regular basis.

Thatís why we recommend wearing FiveFingers for exercise, for play, and for fun. Stimulating muscles in your feet and lower legs will not only make you stronger and healthier, it improves your balance, agility and proprioception.

With more details here.

ATB,
Sam

P.S Something about the use of 'roo leather still bothers me.
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10 PM »

How do these things hold up, specifically if one were to wear them in salt water? I've never heard of them before, but I notice they're available in my local MEC. I just might try them out.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:30 PM »

I would be laughed out of town if I wore something like that! Might as well put aluminum foil on my head... Cheesy

"Do what you like"
kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:45 PM »

Those look horrid. 
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:41 PM »

I bet they look better than your bare feet, Kevin...

Tongue

Allen, AKA kitehead
temoniprince

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 06:26 PM »

These shoes are crazy amazing. they feel and look amazing. people need to understand if you where them you shoudl care less what others will say to you someone asked me today as i walked into a food market standing online " What do those things do on yr feet" ? I asked him pointing to his shoes " what do you do with those?"  he was puzzled and i said exectly lol

They will get sand inthem but then again if i am on the beach i go barefoot.

they do get hot in them you get used to it. I have bakilas for running and they are great and have nice colors and all.

compared to shoes these help yr posture and builds up leg and calf muscles and makes yr back better. When you walk more people go heal to toe heal to to.. If you look when you walk barefoot you walk midfoot to toes which is the way we always walk. So these shoes give you the option and idea to make your feet walk the way they should.

[attachment deleted by admin]
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:41 PM »

I was wondering if anyone out there wears vibram five fingers shoes?
I have a pair (Sprints, blue camo. - I'm hiding from sharks). They are fine in the right circumstances but not something for everyday wear unless you knit your own muesli as well. They don't magically realign your spine either so let's lay off that nonsense straight away.

An excellent alternative to going barefoot or sandals. They ain't cheap but are proving surprisingly robust. I got them filthy but slung them into the washer and they came out good as new.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
WinterDaze

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:44 PM »

P.S Something about the use of 'roo leather still bothers me.

Hey Sam,

I suppose it's always a tricky debate that will generate some polarized responses from the 'base belief' arena, but as I'm an Aussie who's had a few dealings with the harvesting of 'Roo products' issue this might give you a little extra info.

It would seem general estimates on populations have it somewhere between 28-55 million Roo's hopping around on this little island. I'd say we can spare a few if you really need them.

And if your interested and get the chance, I'd highly recommend trying the meat, high in protein, low in fat, a little gamey and a great colour.

Now the idea of turning them into pretty bloody stupid looking shoes is a totally different issue.  Roll Eyes

But most of us probably won't stand in your way  Wink

WD

WinterDaze AoF
obijuankenobe

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:12 AM »

Can you run across gravel?  If yes, then you don't have a use for these.  Have you ever wondered what it might be like to be able to walk through the woods like a native tribesman (with hard calloused feet)?  Here's your ticket. 

If you buy them, beware:  They AIN'T shoes.  Don't expect them to be.  They are Vibram rubber soles on toe socks.

I fly with them when the situation permits, and they are the best in-camp shoes EVA.  They weight nothing and can be rinsed daily so are great when backpacking. 

I think some of the color schemes are crazy, but the low cut black and grey work for me.  A down side might be that putting them on never gets to the point of being quick.  Smiley

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 07:56 AM »

I've got the hard feet. At least the North American Have To Wear Shoes To Work During The Day version. Walking through the woods barefoot is generally no problem. It's man made objects on beaches & fields that I tend to worry about. Also, it looks like with these I could scramble on rocks with abandon. The biggie is for sidewalks. Your average sidewalk has far more risks to feet than the woods. Biohazards and broken glass are the things I have to keep my eyes open for.

Sad part is, I looked at these in more detail last night and they probably won't fit my caveman style feet. My big toes are almost certainly too big. The manufacturer states they're not for everyone.  Sad

Allen, AKA kitehead
obijuankenobe

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05 AM »

Mine are all synthetic...no 'roo leather as far as I know.  Maybe the newer fancier versions, though.

obi

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change