GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 06:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talon vs Fearless  (Read 4251 times)
winfre
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 17, 2010, 04:32 PM »

Those two kites seems to be very famous in US and Canada though it's not as much in Europe.

I already have a Talon and I interesting in the Fealess.

Does anyone know those two kite and would be able to compare it ?

Thanks

Niki
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:56 PM »

Hi Niki

You may have opened up a hornet's nest with this question  Grin

The Talon seems to suit everyone - hardly ever see one come up on the Swap Meets.

The Fearless is less universally accepted, but is incredibly popular with people who own one.  It is geared towards "on its back" tricks, especially turtle based moves - it'll sit there for hours and won't rock out when you least expect it. 

Much like some Prism offerings, it will give up great flying if you fly in a similar way to it's designer.  On the other hand, the Sea Devil range are much less flying style dependent and closer to the Talon in terms of "what can Joe Average get out of this kite?"

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
King-J

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:08 PM »

I own a couple Talons, STD & UL two different kites but both are great kites, STD is a Roll-Up Monster, the fearless is on my list of kites to get, or try. I've flown a Vented Talon a few times in Chico and once at Marina Green in S.F. 15+mph, still not to sure on it, very stiff frame, needs small inputs. The Talon STD & UL are both worth the money, you won't be disappointed.
John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:24 PM »

Hi Niki

You may have opened up a hornet's nest with this question  Grin

The Talon seems to suit everyone - hardly ever see one come up on the Swap Meets.

The Fearless is less universally accepted, but is incredibly popular with people who own one.  It is geared towards "on its back" tricks, especially turtle based moves - it'll sit there for hours and won't rock out when you least expect it. 

Much like some Prism offerings, it will give up great flying if you fly in a similar way to it's designer.  On the other hand, the Sea Devil range are much less flying style dependent and closer to the Talon in terms of "what can Joe Average get out of this kite?"
Great to hear it put that way... I've been flying Sea Devils for a while, and found the transition to flying the Fearless difficult. I am starting to learn how to fly Fearless, and can do most of my tricks on the FL pretty well, now. When done right, the tricks look amazing from the Fearless. I haven't flown a Talon, yet, but they're high on my list...
~Rob.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:22 PM »

Never flown the Talon, but I have a bunch of Sea Devils and a couple of Fearless. I still fly my SD's the most, but damn...things look so much better on the Fearless.
   Once a hack, I guess always a hack Cheesy

This is going to be a long thread.... Cool

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:51 PM »

multi-lazy is to Fearless as multi-yoyo is to Talon.  Smiley

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:08 AM »

Those two kites seems to be very famous in US and Canada though it's not as much in Europe.

You are aware that the UK is in Europe ?

New Talons are only equalled (probably) by Cosmic TCs in this thread and new examples continue to appear. Fearlesseseses are quite possibly more rare as we don't get to try them out before committing to an expensive purchase and, at least partially, due to the company they occasionally keep.

This is going to be a long thread....

There are ways and means to ensure this doesn't happen  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:41 AM »

Fearlesseseses Come on Mike -you CAN use English better than that, can't you? Undecided are quite possibly more rare as we don't get to try them out before committing to an expensive purchase and, at least partially, due to the company they occasionally keep.

Mike.

Could you please Pontificate on the company they sometimes keep, for us?  I think we'd like to know your thoughts on this one, anyway.   Lips sealed Lips sealed

thanks, Jim
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:09 AM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
steve.hobart

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58 AM »

Grin "self restraint.....how long can I maintain it  Grin

cheers

steve
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:37 AM »

Both the Talon and the Fearless are easy to fly, they are light pulling, have good forward drive. Also they are easy to trick, which means predictable and with no obvious quirks. I'd also include the Exile and Widowmaker in this group.

The strength of the Talon is its pitch-ability The standard will roll up quickly and it seems from almost any angle. The strength of the Fearless is its ability to sit deep in the turtle.

While both kites gave something up in the precision department, they are both well rounded performers. The Talon is surprisingly good at spin tricks. Other kites that I've flown that are easy to pitch, have a lot of weight in the tail, which has led to over steer and/or ugly spin tricks.

The ability of Fearless to get into and stay in a turtle, especially on the Sul version, has put some people off. It's a little disturbing, the first time you pull on the lines, and the kite won't come out of the turtle.

When the wind is right, the Fearless Sul, will just hang at the end of the lines in a turtle waiting for an input. Get the multi-lazies going fast enough, and it will rise.

Another strength of the Fearless is its wind range. This is an area of controversy. While I don't think any of us, including myself are very good at estimating actual wind speed. So can a Fearless fly from 3mph to 30mph? Who knows?

The Fearless has the widest wind range, were it can still comfortably perform tricks.  Being an inland flier, where the winds can vary by the minute, it is a plus to have a kite with a wide wind range.

Construction on both the Talon and the Fearless are excellent. Mark has some nicely thought out features on the Talon, from the stuffed lower leading edges, to a multi-piece spine. Lam is a perfectionist. Every piece on his kites are the best that he can make it. No detail is too small. Plus Lam is always looking to improve his design. 

Jay
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45 AM »

"self restraint.....how long can I maintain it 
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Self restraint for me t Lips sealed Lips sealed .

<----Me and my F kite is on the Left  Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:44 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:55 AM »

"self restraint.....how long can I maintain it 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Self restraint for me t Lips sealed Lips sealed .

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy                  Lips sealed  Lips sealed  Lips sealed  Lips sealed
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:41 AM »

multi-lazy is to Fearless as multi-yoyo is to Talon. 

Add a pair of yoyo rollbars to the Fearless, then...
multi-lazy/multi-yoyo is to Fearless as multi-yoyo is to Talon.
 Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:45 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30 AM »

multi-lazy is to Fearless as multi-yoyo is to Talon. 

Add a pair of yoyo rollbars to the Fearless, then...
multi-lazy/multi-yoyo is to Fearless as multi-yoyo is to Talon.
 Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

Hehe - my favorite kite as well, but the F multi yoyos just fine and does not need bars.  I'm not against them, I just don't think they should be added to a kite not designed for them - sail stretch/deformation and weight in the wrong place are my concerns.  Then again, I haven't tried them on it, perhaps I would be convinced.

My point was that the Talon Std multi yoyos such that it is ridiculously easy (much like the F multi lazys and JLs).

6 kite tom
rxburner
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56 PM »

Like all of us, you need to join in the journey and buy many kites... for me the journey ended with the Fearless.... I only need to buy 2 or 3 more and I will be set. He He....
By all means try them both... and offer up the one you don't like on the swap meet (and if you don't like the Fearless, I'll take it at 75%. I would prefer a standard, Black with Ruby wave).
Rx
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:44 PM by rxburner » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum