GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 05:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you high?  (Read 2970 times)
bmfinc
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: May 19, 2010, 01:21 PM »

What is the typical height a kite can fly to before it is out of sight?

What are some of the setups that are good for high kite flying?  Kites, line, winders?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:38 PM »

What is the typical height a kite can fly to before it is out of sight?

Depends on the size of the kite.

Here's some good high altitude info:

http://tkf.toronto.on.ca/oldsite/richard.htm

One of the great altitude flyers was Stormy Weathers (his real name). I met him during a world record attempt at WSKIF in '99. A real character. His winch was made from automobile wheels.

http://www.drachen.org/archive_weathers.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:45 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
bmfinc
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:42 PM »

Wow!  14,509 Ft.?  That is awesome!  Neat article.  Thanks
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:20 PM »

all kites flown out of sight look the same to me
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57 PM »

all kites flown out of sight look the same to me
to be honest, they look the same just before they go OOS, too Cheesy

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Another site to read:
http://www.kitesite.com.au/kiterecord/Location.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:18 PM »

We've done this before but for anybody who missed it or is new, before considering altitude flying you need to familiarize yourself with the regulations. They are a bit confusing, first stating in section S101.1-(2) that the regulations apply only to kites "Over 5 lbs" But then section S101.7-(a) seems to negate that weight definition by simply stating.

No person may operate any moored balloon, kite, unmanned rocket, or unmanned free balloon in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons, or their property.

So acceptable altitudes pretty much boils down to

• You may not fly a kite without restrictions more then 150 feet above the surface.
  • You may fly a kite up to 250 feet above the surface without written notice  if you are flying within 500 feet of an obscuring structure taller then 250 feet.
  • You may fly a kite up to 500 feet above the surface by providing the FAA with written notification 24 hours before the flight.

Above 500 feet requires a certificate of waiver issued by the Administrator who will also most likely direct you to an area free of any flight paths for such attempts.

I've uploaded a pdf of the FAA Regulations for Kites, Balloons & Rockets here

Here's a picture of an airplane that ran into a kite line, larger line then most of us use though, and thankfully the airplane landed safely.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:20 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:44 PM »

Thanks for the file Mike.

It's good to familiarize, or re-familiarize, oneself with the regs periodically.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a copy in the bag either.

Wink
coogee

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50 AM »

I recently went to Cobar, which is a small town in western New South Wales in Australia and flew with a team of people attempting to break the altitude record for a single line kite. We got to 10,680 ft. Depending on conditions the kite is very hard to see after 3 to 4 thousand ft. The link from thief will get you to the site for this record attempt. From personal experience I would have to say it was exciting to launch, fly and retrieve the kite. The team is lead by Robert Moore. We plan to try again. Records are after all made to be broken.

[attachment deleted by admin]
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:37 AM »

I was surprised re-reading those reg's, I thought we were OK to 300 feet, seeing 150 feet means we routinely get some of our kites up to a questionable altitude, of course we don't fly anything approaching the 5 lb mark.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:51 AM »

I was surprised re-reading those reg's, I thought we were OK to 300 feet, seeing 150 feet means we routinely get some of our kites up to a questionable altitude, of course we don't fly anything approaching the 5 lb mark.
i think that some of the Aerodrone sport kites might be pushing that 5# Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29 AM »

That's an eye-opener... I've flown at up to 400' when I was doing KAP. I had no idea that I was out of bounds.

I wonder if flyying at festivals has some sort of exclusion... I notice alot of kites over 200' at the festivals that I've attended.

~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:43 AM »

Some interpretations of those Reg's assume they apply only within 5 miles of an airport. Even the FAA's response to an inquiry seems to interpret it as within 5 miles of an airport. I found this today.

Can kites be flown near the airport (i.e. in Centennial Park)? 

FAA Response: 14 CFR Part 101 (enclosed) states that “…within 5 miles of the boundary of any airport…No person may operate an unshielded moored balloon or kite more than 150 feet above the surface of the earth unless, at least 24 hours before beginning the operation, he gives the following information to the FAA ATC facility that is nearest to the place of intended operation: (a) the names and addresses of the owners and operators, (b) the size of the balloon or the size and weight of the kite, (c) the location of the operation, (d) the height above the surface of the earth at which the balloon or kite is to be operated, and (e) the date, time and duration of the operation.”  There are also additional lighting and marking requirements, if the balloon or kite would be operated above 150 feet above the surface of the earth.

Part 101 also states “(a) no person may operate any moored balloon, kite, unmanned rocket, or unmanned free balloon in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons or their property, and (b) no person operating any moored balloon, kite, unmanned rocket, or unmanned free balloon may allow an object to be dropped there from, if such action creates a hazard to other persons or their property.”

It's too much legal psycho-babble for me, anybody here understand it and can put it in English with pictures and arrows for us challenged ones?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57 AM »

Anyway back on subject, You will need a soaring type kite like a delta, delta conyne, genki etc. Other types quickly reach the point that they are simply dragging line out with no gain in altitude. Winders depend on how much line your planning on and how hard you want to work, the Windbreaker reel from Shanti will hold a few thousand feet of 100 lb Dacron and retrieves it pretty fast. For line Spectra is the best bet at a somewhat affordable price, you need to balance the kites lift against the weight and drag of the line or again you'll quickly end up simply playing out line with no gain of altitude.

quintum

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18 AM »

My dad used to take me out flying, and then all there was was twine, I believe, and he bought the biggest roll available.  I could swear it must have been 1000' because the kite would go completely out of sight.  The time it snapped the line it must have been in the next county.  I thought that was the greatest thing ever. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document