GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Train flying  (Read 1303 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: May 20, 2010, 12:20 PM »

I'm going to purchase a PRISM NEXUS Train,but i've never flown one,so could someone please tell me how do you go about landing a train??
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25 PM »

I use the side of the window with the Micron stack... Fly to the extreme left or right side and pop the nose up as they stall...
maybe different techniques work with the Nex stack, but this works for me...

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:29 PM »

I expect that you will find it often lands itself for you.  Cheesy Grin Embarrassed   Just not in a way that admits of easy relaunch!

Seriously, run it out to the edge of the window, let it drift down, then give slack. Others can give better details, I'm sure.

Flying any dual line train is an excellent occasion for having crew out there. Getting a whole train to stay up in launch position while you get back to the straps is tricky, in my experience.

Larry
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:41 PM »

You fly and land it just like you do a single dual line kite.  The train is going to react just the same way - just a slightly bit more sluggish.  You can snap stall it right in the middle of the window and land it normally, be ready to throw a ton of slack into it and run towards it because with all the extra sail area the train will want to take off again pretty quickly.  The easiest way is just like has been said, fly to the edge, turn the nose up and when it stalls run forward and it will settle down.

With the Nexus stack, you will want to play with the angle of attack setting (nose towards you usually). The factory setting seems to set the stack quite heavy, especially for the lighter winds.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:30 PM »

when is a dual line train a "stack"?

"Do what you like"
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:04 PM »

Stack = multi-line
Train = single line

At least that is the way I have always thought of it.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:14 PM »

I have a 7 stack of Nexus

John Chilese Photos

And I find them to be easier to land, anywhere in the wind window, than a single kite. Because of the extra drag on the kite they will want to drop out of the sky if they are not in motion.

A couple of tuning tips:

on the lower outside link lines for the last kite, shorten the line 1/2 to 1 inch by tying a short overhand knot (this will help the last kite behave)

you also might want to set the bridle for a lower wind setting (adjust it a little at a time until you find a good setting)

I would also recommend you get familiar flying the stack before you attach tails, (much easier to tune and relaunch w/o the tails in the way)

Once you do start using the tails the easiest way to wind them is in a figure 8 around the lower leading edges, then put the whole thing in the stack bag

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do

?? are stacks making a come back ??

A few of my stacks
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:17 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:20 PM »

mike
have you seen the stack I have that is up your alley???
rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16 PM »

when is a dual line train a "stack"?

Well, I guess my information could be wrong and I only assumed that because the original poster said Prism Nexus - that he was referring to the Prism Nexus dual line kite.  The unwritten rule would make that a stack....but stack, train, daisy chain, consecutive, layered, tethered.....  all the same in my book.  I guess i'm not much on the politically correct "kite" terminology - well, not for pretty much any terminology.  My "professional executive front office managing assistant" still gets referred to as my "secretary" - I know, I know....but you know what they say about old dogs and new politically correct terminology.

Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:56 PM »

The terms are interchangeable.

The sport kite comp category is Team Train.

The rulebook defines as follows:

"Train:   A train consists of three or more kites flown as one"

Could be that at some point stack referred to two kites, but people use the term for any number of kites flown one behind the other.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document