GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 01:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zephyr / Exile / Hydra ?  (Read 3745 times)
Quantum_Leap
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 21, 2010, 10:16 AM »

I am new to kiting and this forum. I have been flying for about six weeks for 5- 10 hrs a week with my two boys. We live about a half hour from the beach and I have a useable soccer field near my home. At this point the youngest is flying a Nexus with tail and is quite satisfied. My oldest started with an HQ Bolero which we unfortunately destroyed on our first outing together. I have a Quantum and I am working on Stalls, Side Slides and Recoveries. Once we all got past the the repeated nose dives, I replaced my son's Bolero with an E3 trying to keep a good mix of kites.

After my initial research I decided on the Prism line and have been quite satisfied with the durablity and convieience of replacement parts. I plan on purchasing a second kite for myself and in keeping with my earlier logic, figured I would get a Zephr when I felt I was ready.  Since that time I have discovered this forum and learned that there are other options I should consider.

I am looking for an "all around" kite that is a happy balance of tracking and tricking. Some lower wind capability would be a plus, currently when the wind dies down my son and I take turns on the E3. Wind range isn't a deal breaker as I am pretty sure that the kite after this will be an UL. I appreciate quality of construction and would enjoy owning a "boutique" level kite. From my research so far I have narrowed it down to the Prism Zephyr, Blue Moon Exile and Focus Hydra.

The Exile seems to be closest to what I am looking for but I like the graphics of the Hydra a little better, is that silly? I still think the Zephyr is a good deal considering the case and extra lineset, noticed that I just missed a good deal in the bargain section.  Oh well, timing is everything. Anyway I would appreciate any advice or comparison / contrast from those with experience with the Kites. I am planning on attending the kite festival in Wildwood NJ and hoping to get to see some of them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:42 AM by Quantum_Leap » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35 AM »

Exile - one of the 2 best kites I've ever owned.

I've never had a Hydra, but the Exile pushed my Zephyr (and many others ) out of the bag. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:51 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45 AM »

Oops, accidentally posted before I finished typing. Had to modify it.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:07 AM »

The exile all the way.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:18 PM »

I'll have to remember to bring my Exile, you can fly it next weekend. I'll be there thurs/fri/sat, leaving sun.
~Rob.

King-J

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:51 PM »

Exile, is a great kite don't expect to get to many roll ups, some others to consider would be a Talon std or a Widow Maker.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
biglos

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26 PM »

My vote would be for the Exile. The standard fly's pretty low especially with the kites you are looking at. It makes the Quantum and E3 feel heavy (even though I still fly them).
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41 PM »

Exile, is a great kite don't expect to get to many roll ups...

Interesting - I've not had this problem with my Exile.

@Quantum Leap.  Out of the three you're asking about, I've owned all three and still have the Exile.  The Hydra is very trick oriented and has it's own personality - it prefers you to fly it the Hydra way.  The Zephyr is a good all round kite, but the trailing edge tunnel wears out very quickly exposing the leech line.  I've repaired a few of them.  The Exile is top quality build, great at tricks, very good precision, and I'm keeping mine!

Hope this helps

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:02 PM »

I'll have to remember to bring my Exile, you can fly it next weekend. I'll be there thurs/fri/sat, leaving sun.
~Rob.

That would be great, looking forward to it!  How many kites do you have?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:11 PM by Quantum_Leap » Logged
Beachbum
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:03 PM »

I am planning on attending the kite festival in Wildwood NJ and hoping to get to see some of them.

1.  If they allow beer on the beach get a 24 or larger case of the local favorite beer.

2.  Walk up to a person flying a kite that looks or sounds interesting and trade him one of said beers for the lines.

3.  Repeat as neccessary until beer and/or beer funds run out.   

This is the best way to find "your" kite.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:11 PM by Beachbum » Logged
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:08 PM »

[/quote]
 The Hydra is very trick oriented and has it's own personality - it prefers you to fly it the Hydra way.  The Zephyr is a good all round kite, but the trailing edge tunnel wears out very quickly exposing the leech line.  I've repaired a few of them.  The Exile is top quality build, great at tricks, very good precision, and I'm keeping mine!

Hope this helps
[/quote]

That is what I wanted to know, Thanks.

Looks like Blue Moon will be taking orders again in about a month, suits my time frame perfectly.
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24 PM »

Exile, is a great kite don't expect to get to many roll ups, some others to consider would be a Talon std or a Widow Maker.

Not a problem as I can't get any of my kites to roll up yet.

I really like the Talon, great looking kite, but it seems like it might be more trick oriented than I am ready for.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:51 PM »

Exile, is a great kite don't expect to get to many roll ups...

Interesting - I've not had this problem with my Exile.

Me either - The Standard Exile will rollup with 1 barrel of weight.  With 3 (my favorite) to 5 barrels, it will rollup as good as most anything out there that I've had the pleasure to fly (including the WM).

If you are talking the UL, then I agree - that one needs some weight (5 barrels) in order to one-pop rollup like the standard.

-Tom
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:08 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
mello67
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12 PM »

I have the zephyr and the exile (std and ul), and have not flown a hydra. The zephyr is a good kite but as described before it will break down, mine is starting to fray as well. I would go with the exile, as you are already talking about a ul, you may consider ordering two !! Wink a std and ul. Having the same kite for all wind ranges is a great benefit. The exile is a great trick kite with precision built in also. The ul will fly in very low winds and is my go to kite for those days. The hardest part is choosing your colors. Cheesy

Have you tugged your kite lately??
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 04:03 AM »

I am planning on attending the kite festival in Wildwood NJ and hoping to get to see some of them.

1.  If they allow beer on the beach get a 24 or larger case of the local favorite beer.

2.  Walk up to a person flying a kite that looks or sounds interesting and trade him one of said beers for the lines.

3.  Repeat as neccessary until beer and/or beer funds run out.   

This is the best way to find "your" kite.

Why don't I ever see this guy on my beach ? Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography