GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 05:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which kite do i need please ??  (Read 6519 times)
ozkite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:33 PM »

hi guys,
i am back.
its glen here from australia.
i have a benson gemini and a prism e2.
now i live 30 km inland from any sea or water,no good.
the stupid winds here when rarely we get them are unruley,and not much wind at all.
up and down and dead altogeather !!
its very frastrating.
can never keep my two kites in the sky ,know matter how i adjust bridle and stand offs.
i mean i know how to fly,no problem there,just miserable and no winds thats all  !!
im going to buy another kite soon.
most likely another prism,may be new e3 or quatum pro.
but do i need to buy some sort of sul type of kite to give some sort of flying chance in these crap dumb winds i get ??
any idea or may be another type of awsome free style lite kite may be??
hope to hear your thoughts and comments fellas
thanks heaps
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:38 PM by ozkite_pilot » Logged
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49 PM »

g,day mate,
thanks for your reply.
no hills mate.
yeah the wind just isnt constant either,just drops away at times all of a sudden.
not sure  much about temp gradients.
cheers
glen
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32 AM »

For the price, the Shadow is an excellent very low wind kite for both flying and tricking. It does have a fair amount of oversteer and the bridle needs some adjustment, but if you can already fly those other kites, the oversteer should be no problem. Just my opinion, good luck.

There may even be one left in the GWTW store, not sure. I believe the only new ones left have a solid color center design. Here is a mock up of a Shadow done in purple.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:52 AM »

g,day mate
how are ya
thanks for the pic and kite info
i will keep it in mind.
any other ideas guys??
thanks
glen
streamhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:02 AM »

I would suggest to you a Blue Moon Exile, flies powered up in low winds, excellent build quality, and you get to pick your colors. If your winds flucuate alot, get the standard, if the winds lean toward low to none, go with the UL, don't think you'd be sorry for the purchase, really nice kite.

Bill
pfouts
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09 AM »

Ditto on the exile.  The kite's sail design has an excellent ability to fly in both low and high winds. 
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:31 AM »

Light and variable winds, with frequent changes of direction and drops to zero, are common condition here in summer. The UL or SUL versions will add many hours of flying time and lower the frustration level.

Floaty kites can buy you time until the next puff of wind comes along, without a lot of work keeping them in the air. Floaty tends to be less new school tricky, so there are trade-offs. Kites that are stable in a side slide at the edge of the window take less work to keep pumping until you get the kite oriented to the new wind direction or the next puff comes along.

My favorite UL/SULs are out of production, Aerostar. I'm looking at a Muse or Exile for my next kite, currently leaning towards an Exile UL. May have an interest in a Vendetta SUL when it makes it off the drawing board and into the air.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:16 AM »

my 2 cents:
If you can find any stx 1.8, they are a good tricky ul
the shadow is a good kite for the money, probably the kite i would point to first
if you can find any aerostars, mainly a Sano SSL or a SSZ, they are great low wind stunters but wont be cheap and Paul has stopped producing them but he will put some up now and again on ebay
I wouldnt recommend the prism 3d because it is so small and takes a very light touch and was never much of a trick kite in my hands.
maybe an ozone, although not a superb ul but might be found easy
you might also try a jack in the box ul, you see them around from time to time, its good in low wind
i would stay away from the zephyr, its more a light standard then an ul
an exile ul might also be a direction to go, I have not flown one so i cant compare them to anything else but the muse i have has excellant build quality

All that being said what line are you using? You may find switching to a shorter lighter line may help get more out of your kites. I would say get a 50# 50' set for super light wind days

Sine Metu!
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:41 AM »

I have super light and variable winds too. When the wind is less than 2-2.5 mph, I fly a Fearless SUL or a STX 1.8.

Some other tricky SULs I've tried or owned that'll fly in very light inland winds:
Sea Devil SUL
Shadow
Cesium Continental

If the wind gets over 2 / 2.5 mph I like:
Nirvana UL
Mohawk XS UL
Widow Maker UL

There are many others but these are some I have experience with that do well in light bumpy winds. You also need to decide what you want to spend. There's a large spread in the price range. I also like the Acrobatx UL but only when the wind is smooth.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:11 PM »

Go for the Exile.  I have similar conditions to yours a good part of the year and I can most always fly that one.  The Shadow will go lower, but it is not nearly as well mannered.

For a long time, it was the only kite I was flying - for both low and mid-level winds.  For sure, the Exile will fly much lower than the kites you have now (as well as the QPro and likely the E3).

There is a nice one on the swap right now.

6 kite tom
portley777

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 01:28 PM »

Yes the Exile is the best pick for inland Melbourne winds no question. There are other sexy ones but maybe more frustrating to fly in unsmooth conditions. Exchange rate does suck ATM but check out the swap meet or add a wanted post.

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 03:57 PM »

Hey OZKP...

I have to agree with the Shadow and the Exile. The Exile is easier to fly, but needs a little more wind. The Shadow will fly in next to nothing, just about as low as a Prism Ozone.
If you have to have a Prism, don't overlook the Zephyr. I can fly mine in really low wind, and it also flies well up to 15mph wind. I really like it, even though it looks like a tattered rag after alot of flying hours. The QPros seem to hold up longer, but are more demanding to fly.

~Rob.

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 04:58 PM »

Shadow or...............VAPOR, although the Vap is old school totally....

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:05 PM »

hi guys,
thanks heaps for all your replies.
much appreciated fellas.
i will look into this shadow and exile for sure.
so whats the quality of the frame and sail like ??
cause im after quality for sure as well as perf/manners
cheers
glen
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:20 PM »

Exile quality is top notch.  Shadow, not so much - its well enough made , but nothing jumps out at you.  Its light weight material and it will  readily wear with lots of use.

I was the 3rd owner (as far as I know, could have been more) of an Exile that I flew in all sorts of conditions.  That kite still looked in far better shape than several of my new kites that had only been flown less than 6 months (Zephyr, SF).

BMK kites are very well designed and built and they just last.  I think you would have a hard time finding a better made kite.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document