GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 06:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which kite do i need please ??  (Read 7055 times)
ozkite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35 PM »

ok mate,
cheers,i will take a look.
thanks
glen
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:30 AM »

Quality?

Get the Exile, or any kite made by Ken McNeill (Blue Moon Kites).

He has personally made over 5000 kites. I have many of them. Heck, even my avatar is holding a BMK.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:32 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 04:32 AM »

The Exile!
Ditto to what everyone says about the build quality. Ken makes a great kite!

I was flying my Exile standard when the guy next to me was having a hard time flying his Sea Devil UL.

The Exile standard will go low but it sounds like you need it to go a bit lower. I don't have experience with Exile UL but it sounds like that would be the best way to go.

Bob D.
lylenc

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 07:43 AM »

Light and variable wind with frequent trips to 0 wind really sucks. If the wind cycles last 20 minutes, that's not too bad and a standard Exile may be good enough, but flying down to 2 mph with a standard, in an accomplished flyers hands, isn't good enough to be fun form many flyers.

If your winds are like here, you'll be on the ground 50% - 75% of the time with a standard. You'll be working your tush off a good deal of the time while the kite is in the air.

If the wind cycles last 5 minutes and range 0-3 mph, that really really really sucks on a standard kite. The only thing worse is days it short cycles 0-12 mph, since no one kite handles the entire range well.

An Exile UL compared to a standard one will add more flying time on days you have short wind cycles and an low wind range. If it's hot and 1 mph one doesn't want to be working too hard to keep a kite in the air. A UL takes work at 1 mph, but a lot less than a standard, and with a lot more quality time while in the air.

Having not flown either Exile or Exile UL, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, I do know light and variable winds with frequent trips to 0 mph. A UL/SUL will put a bigger  Grin on your face, no matter who makes it. If you don't have a UL/SUL in your bag now, you'll be doing yourself a disservice (sp or is it even a word?) buying another standard kite.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
streamhawk

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57 AM »

Oz, there are some side benefits to this kite. I posed the question on the old board, I was looking for a kite that had a good mix of precision and tricking, had a mix of new school and a bit of old school, something that would do flat axels for example. The overwhelming response was the Exile. I've had it since Christmas and really like it alot. The low wind capabilities are just a bonus for me. You're looking for a low wind kite, so all the other stuff would be a bonus for you. The Shadow is a nice kite, but as has been stated, it has alot of oversteer, at least in my hands, which can be overcome as has been also stated. The build quality of the Exile is Benson like, it's a really nice all round kite.

Bill
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 12:26 PM »

hey guys
all great.
thanks for your help and comments
so a bmk exile it will be !!
any idea where to buy one from if you are allowed to say that is ??
cheers
glen
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 12:35 PM »

Top of every page there is a link to Ken's site.  Blue Moon's are sold direct.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 12:47 PM »

ok thanks
cheers Wink
DaveH
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Glen,
I have an Exile STD and let me assure you, you will not find a better built kite anywhere. I can't remember what mine is framed in, I'd have to look.  I think Nitro LE and Black Diamond LS.  Does that sound right?

Anyway, great looking, great flying kite with a world of attention to detail.  Just look at the thoughtful way the pocket is sewn for the removable tail piece to facilitate adding and removing weights.  Ken didn't have to do that.  It delights me, however, everytime I look at mine that he did.  Here's a picture of mine with some summer flowers.

Now get one.

Dave

attachments older than 120 days removed to save space
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:25 PM by DaveH » Logged
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 12:01 AM »

hi guys
how are ya
well thanks kindly for your thoughts and help r.e which kite i need
im going to order soon the bmk exile kite
thanks
glen
Australia   Smiley
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19 PM »

When the winds are low I fly these three kites in progression as the wind builds up from 0.5 mph to 5-6 mph:

1- Benson Inner Space
2- Sea Devil SUL
3- Q-Pro SUL

I have the Exile UL in my bag but 1-3 will guarantee air time - EVERY TIME. The Sea Devil SUL grabs more air than the Q-Pro SUL but for wahtever reason it can do JL's easier. I still have not explored the Exile UL enough. Its worth the money and cheaper than the SD-SUL. I like the Zephyr but I agree with that description - its a light Standard or a full UL - not a SUL.

Cool

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
ozkite_pilot
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 12:22 AM »

g,day mate
thanks for your reply.
i tell ya the winds are really crap here where i live inland 30 km from any water/sea,up and down here.
wind direction changes from east thru to west while i was flying this afternoon
its crazy,really sh#its me i tell ya.
so i really hope my new kite i get which you guys have suggested stays in the air with good speed.
iv made all bridle changes,wind settings on stand offs,still crap,even removed top spreader.
cheers
glen
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 01:43 AM »

If the wind is sufficiently bad then no kite, no matter how good, no matter how close to being The MessiahKite™ is going to solve the problem. You always need to find good enough wind to feed any kite.

I like to think that I have a little experience with not-suitable-for-kiting winds and there is a point where what's on the end of the lines becomes irrelevant.

So get an Exile UL (or indeed whatever) but don't expect it to solve the problems caused by 180° wind shifts.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 07:30 AM »

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^

I am rather surprised that nobody suggested a Jest of Eve Talon or Talon UL. It sounds like we have the same kind of dodgy conditions and the Talon does very well here.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
lylenc

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26 AM »

wind direction changes from east thru to west while i was flying this afternoon

That's the variable wind world, especially if it does that repeatedly within a two or three hour outing - windshield wiper days. We've had 270 and 360 degree days, but thankfully they are rare.

Those conditions are when a floaty and non-twitchy UL/SUL is needed. The shorter the cycle time from one direction to the other the more frustrating it gets. You need a kite that will buy you time in the air until you can pump it around to the new wind direction. If you are way out of sync with the direction, leave the kite on the ground and walk in an arc, keeping the lines taught so they don't snag on debris, until the kite is more into the wind.

Keep an eye on trees, flags, smoke, dandelion fluff, or other wind indicators in the area. That will help you anticipate direction changes before they arrive at your location. Fudge towards the side of the window the wind is likely to shift towards.

Try to avoid whirl winds; it's best to set down. It's not a fun thrill to get a SUL caught up inside one. You'll have visions of splintered framing and shredded sail running through your head, while trying to work out of it without damage to the billfold. I've been snared twice and lucked out both times, but it's not a pretty sight to witness - especially with an out-of-production Zerostar.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:38 AM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum