GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downsview Park May 23 2010  (Read 1172 times)
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 23, 2010, 04:14 PM »

I just wanted to thank Tempest and Cids for putting together a wonderful day of flying today. The weather finally turned the corner and we had both good wind and some sun. I personally, got way too much sun but that was my own fault.

I brought all my kites, but only pulled out two, my new (to me) Benson Gemini and the Sea Devil mid vent I bought off of cids.

The gem was way different than I am used to, so it took some time to get comfortable. I then spent a while with the mid vent, as the winds were averaging about 10 mph it was a little heavy feeling, but during gusts it felt secure and not over powered.

I have been trying to get into a fade from a downward flight path and not really having much luck with it. I can hold a fade from launch but its really difficult for me to get into one while flying. I spent a bunch of time trying it over and over and just would not be able to control the fade well when I did get it. The sea devil would just right itself and fly away every time. I couldn't even get the gem to fade so that was totally out of the question.

Tempest let me try his mango light vent fearless. I was terrified of hurting his basically brand new kite so I was a little sheepish with my flying. He goaded me into getting it into a turtle, and it was amazing how easy that was. I did my first real lazy susan's on the kite today. Wicked.

Then I tried to get into a fade from the downward flightpath, it was difficult at first but with some coaching by tempest, it came easier and easier every time I tried it. Then I was doing flic flac's like no tomorrow. I managed to get the kite rolled up on one occasion but didn't even know it.

I recall at one point, the fearless was on the ground and I just wanted to pop the kite a touch to get it standing up for a takeoff. I popped it and WHAM it was in a turtle so fast I could not believe it.

The reduced pull on the fearless and the deep deep turtle make it an incredible teaching tool. Would I buy one, if I had the money, yes. The kite was solid as a rock all day, and pretty quiet as well. For a newb like me to be able to start pulling off those tricks, I feel that the kite had alot to do with it. That said, tempest standing at my side coaching went a long way too. He could help me with what I was doing wrong on every repetition of the trick and I could see the differences his comments made to my results.

There were quite a few others there today as well, I know a couple of them are on the board here, but didn't catch their user names. There were a few single line kites which were very cool, just parked in the sky. Some of the kids had aerobies and were loving those as well.

I will post some images when I can make some room on my hard drive.

Cheers,
Sean
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:47 PM by SMG » Logged
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:08 PM »

linky to images.  Grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sean_gosse/sets/72157624122268466/show/

Cheers
Sean
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:14 PM by SMG » Logged
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11 PM »

Smiley  Smiley  Very nice pictures SMG , i love that Fade.   Cheesy   Cheesy  Cheesy
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:07 PM »

Thanks for the sexy fotos of my back and my F kite. I have alot of fun too. Yes, the sun is a little too much for me too.
Hopefully we can get together again in the near future.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:31 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01 AM »

I was there as well. Great day.

Tempest also let me fly his new Fearless and his SD. Great kites. As Sean said above these things were a surprise to fly. So light in their feel, and easy to get on their backs. With a bit of help from Tempest, I was also able to get into a down wind flare no problem and do my first real lazy susan's as well. After getting it on the Fearless, I was able to do it on my Mantis without too much trouble. The combination of Tempest's instructions and Lam's kites could turn any newbie into a pro in no time.

Don't worry Ken, I still love my BMK and will not trade it for anything. Wink

I would like to thank Gary from the Toronto Kite Flyers for inviting me to their monthly fun fly. Sorry if us dual line guys kind of took over but I know everyone had a great afternoon.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28 PM »

I would also like to express my thanks to Gary, Zippy and Brandon,of the Toronto Kite Fliers Club for having us at their fun day fly at the park.
 It was a bit challenging on the flying field, but we made out quite well , although Edmond got the scare of his life when he saw that dog speeding towards his beloved Fearless  ( actually the dog was chasing after a ball thrown by its master, which fell near the kite . )
 All in all,  the day was enjoyed by everyone and i hope that we can get together more often in the near future.
                                                           Tempest.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51 PM »

although Edmond got the scare of his life when he saw that dog speeding towards his beloved Fearless  ( actually the dog was chasing after a ball thrown by its master, which fell near the kite

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It was my first kite meet and it was fun. Also it was my first time to see a Rev flying in person. Thanks to Brandon and Zippy with their amazing skill with the Rev. The most amazing thing was the big/heavy star kite by Gary. It can actually fly !

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Torontokitefliers
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:19 AM »

Great to meet you guys too.

Do check out the Toronto Kite Fliers website to find out the next events. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change