GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '85-'86 vintage stunt kite of unknown origin  (Read 3156 times)
skykbass
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 23, 2010, 06:08 PM »

My parents were hang-gliders, and when my mother passed she left me her stunt kite. I'm positive I saw her fly this kite when I was, at least, five or six. This kite was my first experience in dual-line flying, and is the reason for my new addiction. I can't find any info on it, and would love any insight into this forgiving and sturdy antique! Thanks and cheers!

Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:49 PM »

That is a Spyro-Jet kite.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
skykbass

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:05 PM »

So, my assumption of it's age is close? Thanks for the new term to search!
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06 PM »

Late 1980's to early 1990's period of time.  It was a real early attempt at building an ultra lite kite.  There was also a standard version.  I still have a pair of these kites in my collection.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:09 AM »

if you want another one let me know......got one at my house too..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49 PM »

Yes the kite definitely is the ultralight version of the Spyro-Jet. The regular SpyroJet is a cool kite as it is able to turn inside it's own axis under the right wind conditions. It has some pretty unique features..... extra long lower spreaders. It also has dowel rod battens that go in the pockets towards the tips of the wings. (The kite does not fly well without them...) The company that manufactured them, Spyro-Jet, was purchased by a Canadian company in the early 90's (Azul.........something of the sort....) The ultralight came out just before the sale. I have a nice standard in my collection in Primary Colors. The plastic nose protector is the only thing that I really disliked about the kite. Just as most other kites, it flies well in it's ideal conditions.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34 PM »

Bugger. I forgot about some old ads. I came across until now.

Spyro Jets had early (ie; pre-1990) competition success in the UK.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
kiten00b
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34 PM »

Spyro-Jet became Cerfs-Volants Azur
skykbass

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:52 PM »

This is awesome guys! I love the ads, and thanks for the effort! I love the kite community!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum