GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy to trick SUL stunt kites, what would be your favorite one?  (Read 3526 times)
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 24, 2010, 05:33 PM »

Hi all!

I'm considering buying a SUL kite since, unfortunately for me, winds here tend to be on the low side most of the time. I already have a HQ Shadow, but I was wondering if there would be a kite that would fly in even less wind than the Shadow?

Bonus to me if it has a nice wind range too.

I was thinking about a Fearless? But I'm no expert so if you have any advice I'm listening Smiley

Crunchie
biglos
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46 PM »

What price range and what wind range do you want to go down to?

I personally like the Exile and the Exile UL.  But I have seen Widow Makers go really low but that could be all pilot.

I have yet to fly something that goes under the Exile UL as of yet. Mind you, I am a novice so take that for what it is worth.
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:32 PM »

Disclaimer - I am a Fearless fan boy  Shocked

The Fearless SUL is very easy to trick and very very capable. It's slightly heavier than some SUL's, but I tend to like it that way. A wonderful kite. The Fearless is quite expensive.

The Exile UL is indeed an excellent kite too. I found that it flies like a SUL and is also very tricky (capable of a range of old and new school tricks) - and is of exceptionally high quality.

You can't go wrong with either, however if you are on a budget go with the Exile UL, you won't be dissapointed at all (and it is very high value for $).

cheers

Steve
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:32 PM »

the WM will go low, as will the exile.

both great in their own respect.

Though not tricky, the ProDancer SUL is still my top choice for any light wind flying.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
rxburner
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:40 PM »

The Sea Devil UL is my favorite light wind kite.... with a little extra weight it rocks in light wind. I have a fearless SUL and it does excel in near zero wind, but lacks the mass necessary for easy ladders ... they happen,, but not as easy as the SD UL...If you do go with the Fearless SUL I recommend 3PT lower spreaders.
Rx
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:45 PM »

hi devin, a ? about the pro dancer. i have an inner space that i have trouble with as the inputs for even an axle or 1/2 axle are it seems completely different than inputs to my other kites how does the PD do in regards to that thanx KO

have fun kurt
crunchie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:19 PM »

Sea Devil UL, Fearless SUL, Exile UL, all nice choices.

Budget is not a problem, I'm really looking for a really good SUL kite.

How about the Talon SUL? I almost never see one for sale, is that a good or bad sign Wink

Crunchie

crunchie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 07:21 PM »

Oops, that would be Talon UL (sorry).

Crunchie
biglos

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:22 PM »

ADX, how low will that Ocius go compared to a Widow?
biglos

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:31 PM »

Crunchie,
I don't know your experience level but the lighter wind kites feel and fly different then their counterparts. At my level, I feel more comfortable with a standard doing the tricks that I know how. The UL does the same tricks but at a different pace.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:39 PM »

SULs are not easy to trick.

If they are they aren't very SUL.
crunchie

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:43 PM »

Well, I only started to stunt kite "seriously" last year. Considering my level, I got myself an E2 from Prism and a HQ Shadow for the low wind. So I'm indeed looking for a kite that is somewhat "forgiving" in that I don't have that much experience.

The problem is, when I get back from work, the sun is down or almost and with it the wind. The breeze is very light but usually not enough for the Shadow, even less the E2.

I'm looking up on all the models mentioned here and I'm also looking at some WW kites from R-Sky (Next?).

Let me tell you, its tough to make a good decision!

Crunchie

crunchie

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45 PM »

JimB, I am dedicated though Smiley

Better to have a kite that will at least stay in the air, or can stay with some walking backwards than no fly at all. Even if it means its going to be harder to trick.

Crunchie
biglos

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 07:57 PM »

Tell me about it. I got a kite for just about every wind range right now except for a vented. So far this year, its been next to no wind then huge gusts and I don't like the feel of flying the UL when it starts to get powered up so I much prefer a standard and to just move a lot.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22 PM »

go here http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3070.0 for are last go around with this subject always interesting                                                                                                                                                                             
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:30 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document