GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy to trick SUL stunt kites, what would be your favorite one?  (Read 3373 times)
Dave a
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 08:28 PM »

Most of the kites already mentioned here will not fly lower than the Shadow, despite the devotion some of them have here.
If you want a kite with a lower wind range than the Shadow, and want some tricks, i recommend the Prism 4D (its a genuine SUL)
I had a ton of fun with mine on the weekend, and for the money you cant go wrong.
Dont blow hundreds of dollars on a kite only to find it wont fly when you want it to.

crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00 PM »

Thats the reason I choose the Shadow in the first place, its apparently very light and not *that* expensive to get. The thing is... lets say the conditions are uneven, wind goes from 0 to 3mph, with the Shadow, even walking backwards at a fast pace, its hard to keep it in the air. So the only choice I have is to land it and wait for a puff of stronger wind.

Its possible that the factory settings for the HQ are somewhat poor for low winds, I have not played with the bridle yet, but I'm not ruling out myself as the problem hehe.

I'm quite surprised actually, because on the Prism DVD, I can swear the guy does a 360 side slide walking backwards with what seems to be an E2!!! Obviously you can only do that on very light winds, but geez, have anyone here managed to do that?

And thats on an E2 I think which is much heavier than the Shadow.

I'll be happy the day I can do my first 360 Side Slide Smiley I can do it in the "window" of the wind, but that's about it.

Crunchie
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 09:12 PM »

take the weight out of the tail of the Shadow when the wind is low - it really helps it out.  With uneven inland winds, I think what you are seeing is typical.  0 to 3 means when it hits 0, you have to provide the wind. 

I personally like the balance the Shadow has between easy tricks and low wind capability.  It you can't fly that one in low wind, I don't think getting a higher end trickster is going to help you all that much.

Light wind flying (just like high wind flying) is a skill that you develop.  The trick is to use no more input than you need and generate no more slack than you need.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:40 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Dave a

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11 AM »

A very useful tip for the Shadow is to create an extra set of tow points closer to the upper spreader connectors, this will give a bit more lift and keep you flying longer when the wind drops.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:13 AM »

If you can't fly that one in low wind, I don't think getting a higher end trickster is going to help you all that much...

Gotta agree 100% with this.  The Shadow gives away just about every trick except a one pop rollup, and pulls nice and firm on the lines in very little wind.  An excellent low wind kite.

BUT... as it comes from the factory, the tophaul bridle line is too long, even on the top adjustment knot.  Plenty of talk on the old GWTW forum about this issue.  Pretty much everyone said the same thing.  Shorten the tophaul bridle by about 1 cm and the kite gets close to perfect.  That should solve your problem of keeping it in the air.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Hadge

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14 AM »

A very useful tip for the Shadow is to create an extra set of tow points closer to the upper spreader connectors, this will give a bit more lift and keep you flying longer when the wind drops.

This is a good tip. On my Shadow I have tied a knot halfway along the loop on the uphaul which goes around the knots on the pigtail - this effectively moves the tow point up about 1 1/2 inches and makes the kite much better in lower winds ( and reduces the oversteer). There is not enough adjustment on the standard set up.

I can trick the Shadow reasonably easily in 2-3 mph, it will fly down to maybe 1-1 1/2 mph if you walk backwards but won't really trick ( well maybe an axel). I don't think you will find many that will actually trick much lower than this unless you're looking at indoor kites and even then the range of tricks would be limited.

The Shadow is a hard kite to beat for the money.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:18 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Bob D

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 04:27 AM »

I think I know exactly what kind of wind you have in the evening. It won't matter if you have a Fearless UL or an Exile UL in really, really low wind. If anything is going to fly it will probably be a SUL and their mass is next to nothing and they'll be hard to trick. 2 PT sticks are very light and flexi and you have to finesse tricks out of the kite.

I have an Exile std and a Fearless std and they're great fun in lower wind but they still need SOMETHING. I have Prism 3D which is nice when the wind is too low to fly the standards but it's a different flying experience.

It sounds like the Shadow is a decent kite but I don't know how it compares to ULs like the Exile and Fearless. Bueller? Bueller?

Bob D.
Hadge

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48 AM »

How about the Talon SUL? I almost never see one for sale, is that a good or bad sign Wink

Crunchie

A good sign. The Talon is a fantastic kite - I don't own one but I've tried one - Top notch build quality.  The reason you never see them for sale is usually once someone has bought one they hang on to it until death!!

That said, I doubt it will fly any lower than your Shadow.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
crunchie

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 06:21 AM »

I'll definitely try to change the bridle to ajust the tow point 1 1/2 inch higher.

On a side note, I have a question for you bridle experts Wink I'm looking at my bridle now (on the Shadow), and there is an "extra" line connecting the top bridle to the lower right one.

The line is very close to the kite, I hope you know which one I'm talking about.

Both are very loose, does anyone know what they are meant for? 

Crunchie
Hadge

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12 AM »

It's called a 'keeper line'. It's there to stop the bottom part of the bridle catching around the tail during certain trick moves.  Not all kites need them, but as the Shadow has quite long bridle legs it can catch without it.

inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 07:13 AM »

A good sign. The Talon is a fantastic kite...
That said, I doubt it will fly any lower than your Shadow.

I flew a Talon and an Exile UL back to back in marginal winds a while back and the Talon does need a little wind. The Exile even with some weights would go lower than the Talon but the Talon would trick just like its full fat sibling whereas you definitely notice the difference between Exile UL and Std.

The Talon UL is a really nice kite though, just buy it and wait for some wind  Wink

Incidentally the Exile UL likes longer lines. Whereas often I'd fly a real 4oz SUL on shorter lines, with the Exile UL I'll fly it on 100' light lines and make ground rather than run 360s. Maybe something to bear in mind if you consider one.

jaydub

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 10:11 AM »

If you're considering the Talon UL, possibly consider the Deep Space UL as well.

A bit floatier than the Talon UL and will fly a bit lower as well.

It does have a bit of a dead spot in the flare to fade which needs to be worked around, but it is a really nice kite.
lylenc

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44 PM »

Old school: Zerostar SUL (flat spin monstor, no backspins unless catch line on the nose)
Not so old school: SSZ (not made for rollup, but I don't do them anyway)

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document