GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with older kite - Spectra Trix  (Read 1190 times)
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 25, 2010, 05:54 PM »

Hi everyone - first post here.

Started flying in mid-90's but life, work and an interstate move put the kite bag in the back of the closet. Sanity has returned (sort of) and the 5 acre field and nearly unlimited wind outside my back door have convinced me to start flying again.

When I started going through the bag to catch up on "deferred maintenance" I tried to assemble my Trix (c. 1995). Of course, the instruction sheet is long gone. My aging brain can't figure out the setup. The Trix has 4 standoffs attached to the trailing edge that insert into T's on the lower spreader. There are 2 loose "whiskers" that are 3 mm x 14" with rubber caps on both ends.  There is a fitting on the LE midway between spreaders that receives one end (IIRC) but for the life of me, I can't remember where the other end goes and there aren't any pockets in the sail that I can find.

I'm hoping someone here has this kite or remembers it and can help me. Otherwise, I have to see if the AARP has a kiting forum.

This particular kite seems to have suffered the most from long storage. The lower spreader T  and 2 or 3 standoff Ts are broken and the material is brittle.  None of my other kites have this problem. Is this a Spectra quality issue and should I plan to replace everything now?

Thanks for any help you can give.
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:09 PM »

on the  back side  of  the  sail  there  is  a pocket  for   the  other  end  of  the  long   stand  off  rod    but  it  not  a  stand off   more  of  a  wing  batton   and   welcome  to the   forum 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:11 PM by st3307 » Logged

Good air always Bobby
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34 PM »

... The lower spreader T  and 2 or 3 standoff Ts are broken and the material is brittle.  None of my other kites have this problem. Is this a Spectra quality issue and should I plan to replace everything now?

Sounds like it used the same fittings as the Utopia's etc, they die over time, nobody knew it at the time they came out though. If you can measure the diameter of the rods or find some ID on them I bet Steve here can set you up with some nice new APA or other suitable replacements parts.

Hope you can get her resurrected, and welcome back  Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:09 PM »

Glad you're getting your kites out again!!!

Yup, the fittings used on the Spectra Sport kites did not age well. It is probably framed in Skyshark 5P wrapped carbon rods. Contact Steve here at GWTW for the right replacement fittings. APA LE and spreader/standoff fittings are the way to go. There are different types of Center T fittings you can use. Steve is really good at getting the right parts out to you ASAP.

Have fun! The Trix is a neat kite. I fly it's sibling, the Reactor, a lot. Same mid-'90s frame & fitting issues.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:21 PM »

Spectra Trix

Creator       Scott Augenbaugh
video

Kite          Trix
WINGS              57.0
Materials            6mm GRPH
SPINE               31.0
Material            6mm GRPH
LWR SPRDR            29.5
Material            6mm GRPH
UPPER SPRDR   16.75
Material           6mm GRPH
BATTENS        16.0
Material           3/32 GR
STANDOFF            9.25
Material           3/32 GR

Jun 1995 Paul Eiler review

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29 PM »

A cleaner-cut dual line flyer you will rarely see!  Smiley

6 kite tom
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:38 AM »

"Remember, though, hand position and timing are crucial."

At that point the kite bursts into flames. Apparently the Spectra Trix was not a forgiving kite.
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Never thought to look on the back side of the sail for a pocket - doh!

Kiteking - I'd already seen the review and the video but didn't realize it was a Trix. Mine never flew like that, though - might have something to do with the pilot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum