GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wings Over Washington  (Read 4578 times)
jsking
Trade Count: (0)

« on: March 25, 2009, 07:33 AM »

WOW is based in Metropolitan Washington DC.  Over the years we have established ourselves as one of the premier kite clubs on the east coast, if not in the country, offering lessons in flight, construction of kites, general camaraderie and flying places to share our passion. We welcome kiting enthusiasts or anyone with an interest in kiting to join us!

www.wowkiteclub.com
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:36 AM by jsking » Logged

Jeff
jsking

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00 AM »

Here we go, folks! The defacto start of the kiting season! The Smithsonian Kite Festival is this Saturday from 10:00 to 4:00! (raindate Sunday) http://kitefestival.org/

Folks, this is a biggie for us. As the local club, WOW is relied on heavily to volunteer and provide support. Please please please pull your gear out, check it over, pull your shoes on and come on down to help us out! We will need help with set up, flying and interacting with the crowd all day, and ultimately with tear down, too.

While I have heard nothing solid or official, we are operating under the assumption that the tidal basin parking lot will be closed again this year. Also, I haven't seen anything regarding street closures or other events beyond the Cherry Blossom Festival, HOWEVER, there is a Walk for Epilepsy on Saturday and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another event(s) also, and there will in all likelihood be street closures on Saturday, necessitating early arrival, unloading, and parking for those of you who will be driving. If I get information confirming or denying that, I will get it out right away. If anyone has information about Saturday parking or road closures, please get it to me so I can broadcast it.

The 2009 Walk for Epilepsy is on Saturday, scheduled to begin at 8:45. I don't know yet about street closures for this event, but there presumably will be some. I've only seen sketchy info about the route. All I know at this point is: The start line is located at 4th Street and Madison Drive on the National Mall. The route is slightly more than two miles and winds throughout the scenic area surrounding the National Mall.

Note also that there is a "Scope It Out 5K" run on Sunday beginning at 9:00 AM. The advertised location for this is Pennsylvania Ave between 12th and 14th Streets. Not clear if there will be other street closings for that, but IF we are postponed to Sunday, this may affect us.

Word is that with the amount of planning, advertising, and outlay for this event, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will be postponed. Expect the event to go off as scheduled on Saturday, despite the weather. (see you there, rain or shine!)

Not speaking for other club members, I plan to be there NLT 6:00 AM to begin setting up. We'll be setting up our own camp and ground display, and pitching in to help rope off the fields and to help with other general set-up tasks.

Please come out and lend a hand; we surely could use it. Every little bit helps!

Come on out and help us show off that WOW spirit!

Oh, and if you're competing in any of the competitions...good luck!

Jeff

Jeff
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:27 PM »

You might want to have a look at this feature:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=calendar

And have a great time this Saturday!
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:37 AM »

Hot Tricks was a great battle between the quads and dualies.  My own demise came at the hands of Paul Dugard.  We both flew highly modified 1.5 B-Series on short line-sets using long throw handles.  We were very evenly matched and enjoyed our battles immensely too!  The eventual final round came down to Andrew Albosta and Andy Burchfield each flying on dualies created by Lam Hoac.  WE really enjoyed Curtis on the microphone also.
jsking

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34 AM »

Hot Tricks was a great battle between the quads and dualies.  My own demise came at the hands of Paul Dugard.  We both flew highly modified 1.5 B-Series on short line-sets using long throw handles.  We were very evenly matched and enjoyed our battles immensely too!  The eventual final round came down to Andrew Albosta and Andy Burchfield each flying on dualies created by Lam Hoac.  WE really enjoyed Curtis on the microphone also.

That WAS a good showdown, despite the weather. It was really entertaining watching you two, and Andy & Andrew. Great to see Andy B win it this year.

Jeff
Kitsu

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 04:13 PM »

Next year I will prevail, mouhahahaha!
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:15 PM »

Hopefully I will be able to come up next year... Sounds like fun  Smiley
EnergonCube

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17 AM »

Hello. I'm wondering if W.O.W gives formal/informal lessons to quasi-noob fliers? I've been flying (alone) for more than a year and I know some basic tricks, but I believe it would be more beneficial for my flying to have some friends and mentors.
jsking

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:27 PM »

Absolutely! Come down and join us at our First Sunday Fly. First Sunday of every month on the west side of the Washington Monument. We're generally there between 9:00 and 3:00, with some members there still earlier and later than that. We wind up with a mix of quad-line and dual line fliers, with some single line stuff thrown in frequently. We'll be glad to help you out.

You can also catch us at any number of events around the east coast. Watch our club calendar on the website (www.wowkiteclub.com)...although we're having trouble updating the website at the moment and it might be dated or have some inaccuracies...and watch our club forum here http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?board=35.0 for event announcements.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document