GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus 5 stack  (Read 5156 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 27, 2010, 07:41 PM »

I've decided to build myself a Nexus 5 stack.

I want to make sure I have all the goodies I need to accomplish this goal so to make life easy for myself. I looooove easy Cheesy

1) 5 individual kites
2) Nexus bag
3) Link lines
4) line set(100x200)
5) maybe tails(haven't decided yet)

I think I have everything but not sure. Going in the morning to grab all the parts. Any tips on assembly I should know about? Tuning? Etc....

Thanks! Grin
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:42 PM »

Set it up with someone who has done it before.

That is the #1 tip.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
socalman320

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:46 PM »

I hope it doesn't take that to accomplish this task. Cheesy Cheesy I know what you mean though. If I can find a local that has one or similar I may just do that.

Crossing my fingers for this one. I was going to head over to the kite festival this weekend but the weather looks horrible.

I may stall until next month and hit the festival in town for the fathers fly in Seattle.
theodocius
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:20 PM »

Stacks are fun!  You'll enjoy it.  Nexus stack line length is 37", including tied in loops.  Download the Nexus stack instructions from Prism website.  Very imnportant factors:
  • all stack lines must be same length - 1/4" can make a difference
  • with 5 kites, shorten the lower stack lines on the last kite by about an inch - helps tracking and eliminate wobble
The Prism instructions also have some hints for adjusting the bridle.  A Nexus 5 stack can pull like a truck. Tongue

Stacks look great in the sky!  And, did I mention they are fun? Grin

Current stack bag:  Adrenaline 3 stack/5 stack/7 stack  Huh  California Condor 3 stack Cool 

Ted

socalman320

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32 PM »

I have a Micron stack I bought about a year ago and haven't flown it yet for life reasons and all.

I've been slowly collecting Nexus though and figured I may as well stack the five I have(all new blue scheme) and keep the sixth one(red) for solo flying. I'm purchasing all Prism parts so I'm assuming they're already the correct length on the link lines. Thanks for the tip on the last kite though and I'll check out Prism for the instructions and hints.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:31 PM »

One thing I will recommend,

The individual Nexus kites have 2 lower spreaders that connect through the center "T", the actual stack kites have a one piece lower spreader.  I had problems with the spreaders coming detached in flight/landing. I took a 3 inch  piece of vinyl tubing and slip over the "T" to extend the connection on the spreader, solved the problem.

My current stacks, too many to count
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:44 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:44 PM »

One thing I will recommend,

The individual Nexus kites have 2 lower spreaders that connect through the center "T", the actual stack kites have a one piece lower spreader.  I had problems with the spreaders coming detached in flight/landing. I took a 3 inch  piece of vinyl tubing and slip over the "T" to extend the connection on the spreader, solved the problem.

My current stacks, too many to count

I'm wondering if the " Nexus 5 stack center T " Prism sells in their parts section would solve the issue you're talking about or if that's for something completely different than what you're referring to? Can't tell by looking at the photo they have for it.
kiteking

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00 AM »

I'm wondering if the " Nexus 5 stack center T " Prism sells in their parts section would solve the issue you're talking about or if that's for something completely different than what you're referring to? Can't tell by looking at the photo they have for it.

You will need these parts from Prism

Adrenaline / Nexus 5-stack Lower Spreader

Adrenaline / Nexus 5-stack Center T

I did try to swap the center T and lower spreader from and older Adrenaline but the Spine on the Nexus was larger and it would not fit.

Mark Reed did tell me the replacement parts will work, I just thought instead of spending $12 per kite I would use .25 of tubing

I also leave the bridles on the add-on kites, then I can separate them and fly solo if needed
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:32 AM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:10 AM »

You will need these parts from Prism

Adrenaline / Nexus 5-stack Lower http://shop.prismkites.com/index.php/spare-parts/stunt-kites/nexus-5-stack/adrenaline-lower-spreader.html]Spreader[/url]

Adrenaline / Nexus 5-stack Center T

I did try to swap the center T and lower spreader from and older Adrenaline but the Spine on the Nexus was larger and it would not fit.

Mark Reed did tell me the replacement parts will work, I just thought instead of spending $12 per kite I would use .25 of tubing

I also leave the bridles on the add-on kites, then I can separate them and fly solo if needed

I'm thinking the tubing is less of a headache than having to replace the lower spreader and T.

Any chance you can direct me as to where to get the tubing, what the heck it looks like on the kite and how to install? I'm assuming installation is a matter of sliding it on or do you have to remove the spine to install?

Btw, thanks for all this information!! I just figured walking into the shop, buy parts and I'm good to go. Apparently that is not the case Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Also........link was no good.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:39 AM by socalman320 » Logged
kiteking

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:41 AM »

Also........link was no good.

That's what I get for posting at 3am,  ... link corrected

The tubing is from a hardware/auto parts store. The idea is to increase the length of the "T", so the spreader will not flex out. If you get a tight fit then you only need a short length, otherwise slip over the "T" then insert the spreader into the "T" then on the leading edge

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23 AM »

You may also find it easier to stake the lines out first and use the tension of the lines to setup each kite and lean it back against the tension. It also helps to have the stake when you land to hold the lines while you gather the kites and tails up and get them in the bag.
Not sure on the nexus, but I will say from flying the adrenline 5 stack; padded straps or at least wide straps are a plus to have.
Also, depending on the wind, shoes that have good grip help.
Ymmv

Have fun!

Sine Metu!
kiteking

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00 PM »

padded straps or at least wide straps are a plus to have.

The circulation in my hands eventually returned

I agree, a good stake is a must, I use 3 inch straps, or a "Sky Claw", I wish I had one of those handle/strap combos that Kent showed me at KP8, (wish I bought a set 25 years ago)

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 05:14 PM »

@Mike: you mean those old "Good Grips", wide padded wrist straps with a D type handle attached? I think I might have a set still in the bins, I'll have to dig, if so they're yours for the postage, I'll never use them.

Yeah these monstrosities?

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 11:45 PM »

looks good, let me know if you locate them

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 11:33 PM »

You may also find it easier to stake the lines out first and use the tension of the lines to setup each kite and lean it back against the tension. It also helps to have the stake when you land to hold the lines while you gather the kites and tails up and get them in the bag.
Not sure on the nexus, but I will say from flying the adrenline 5 stack; padded straps or at least wide straps are a plus to have.
Also, depending on the wind, shoes that have good grip help.
Ymmv

Have fun!

I already bought a line set with the padded straps. So I'm good there. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document