GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus 5 stack  (Read 5430 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35 PM »

padded straps or at least wide straps are a plus to have.

The circulation in my hands eventually returned

I agree, a good stake is a must, I use 3 inch straps, or a "Sky Claw", I wish I had one of those handle/strap combos that Kent showed me at KP8, (wish I bought a set 25 years ago)

I can't remember where I've read it but I hear that taking out the upper spreader on the last kite is recommended? Also using an overhand knot on the last kite for tuning?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 07:04 AM »

I wouldnt take the upper spreader out of the last kite, i never have out of my stacks, at least not on purpose.
Tying a know in the bridle of the last kite will tilt it in just a bit and help from it wobbling around. I cant say that i have ever done it but i tend to not fly my stacks in too light of a wind. Besides the wobble has a certain amount of  'hey I'm in the back of the line what are you guys doing up front, lemme see, lemme see" kinda charm to it Grin

Sine Metu!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28 AM »

I can't remember where I've read it but I hear that taking out the upper spreader on the last kite is recommended? Also using an overhand knot on the last kite for tuning?
[/quote]

I haven't heard about the spreader, but for tuning the last kite in the stack:

From Prism Stacking Tips

If you are flying more than three kites stacked: On the last kite in the
stack, shorten just the two link lines that connect the lower spreader
attach points. Shorten these lines about 1" by tying an overhand loop in
each line. This changes the shape of the last kite slightly and helps it
track straight with the others.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 11:07 PM »

One thing I will recommend,

The individual Nexus kites have 2 lower spreaders that connect through the center "T", the actual stack kites have a one piece lower spreader.  I had problems with the spreaders coming detached in flight/landing. I took a 3 inch  piece of vinyl tubing and slip over the "T" to extend the connection on the spreader, solved the problem.

My current stacks, too many to count

Ok. Last question on the "T" and the vinyl for it. Are we talkin' a 3" piece per side?
kiteking

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33 AM »

Yes, the idea is to create a longer connection on the spreader so it will not slip out. Insert tube over the T then insert the spreader through the tube into the T then attach to the leading edge, attach lines and fly

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 11:25 PM »

Yes, the idea is to create a longer connection on the spreader so it will not slip out. Insert tube over the T then insert the spreader through the tube into the T then attach to the leading edge, attach lines and fly

COOL!

Thanks for all the tips, help and patience!!
socalman320

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27 PM »

Just thought of something else.....

Have any of you had to reinforce either the first or first couple of kites by replacing or upgrading the spars on them to avoid anything breaking on them?

kiteking

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 11:27 PM »

All seven of mine are straight out of the bag, never had a problem

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

socalman320

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52 PM »

Fair enough. Thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum