GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zephyr / Exile / Hydra ?  (Read 4274 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 04:06 AM »

I'll have to remember to bring my Exile, you can fly it next weekend. I'll be there thurs/fri/sat, leaving sun.
~Rob.

That would be great, looking forward to it!  How many kites do you have?
I'm going to try to keep it to one roll-up bag for the weekend, so I'll have about 12 with me. I'm bringing a bag of single line kites, too, just as a distraction and to have something for the kids.

~Rob.

stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 04:53 AM »

There are *lots* of kites out there. 

+1 The Exile is a great choice.  Get the Std then UL as you can. 
King-J

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 06:54 AM »

Exile, is a great kite don't expect to get to many roll ups...

Interesting - I've not had this problem with my Exile.

Me either - The Standard Exile will rollup with 1 barrel of weight.  With 3 (my favorite) to 5 barrels, it will rollup as good as most anything out there that I've had the pleasure to fly (including the WM).

If you are talking the UL, then I agree - that one needs some weight (5 barrels) in order to one-pop rollup like the standard.

-Tom

Yes I was referring to the UL, Fly's in just a breath of air, it loves to do Jacobs Ladder, roll ups are not easily caught, will have to try Mikes std again when I head up to Chico next time.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 07:06 AM »

hi...

i'm beginner too... Zephyr was my first kite for learn tricks... it's not easy todo most of the tricks... it's like having it's own style to make proper tricks... for me it's like light wind precission kite that can do tricks,

just watch for it's tow line and LE cover... it's easy to worn of by the line... and the end LE connection super easy to break...

but i still keep my zephyr and sometime still using it... (i love the case of it hehehhe)
 Wink Wink Wink

Quantum_Leap

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 08:30 PM »

Can someone explain the difference between the Std and the Nitro for the Exile? I assume the Nitro is lighter and/or stiffer?

Thanks for the feedback.
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »

I am planning on attending the kite festival in Wildwood NJ and hoping to get to see some of them.

1.  If they allow beer on the beach get a 24 or larger case of the local favorite beer.

2.  Walk up to a person flying a kite that looks or sounds interesting and trade him one of said beers for the lines.

3.  Repeat as neccessary until beer and/or beer funds run out.   

This is the best way to find "your" kite.

Why don't I ever see this guy on my beach ? Cheesy

I noticed I could fit quite a few cans in my speedbag just didn't leave much room for the kites.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 10:15 PM »

Can someone explain the difference between the Std and the Nitro for the Exile? I assume the Nitro is lighter and/or stiffer?

Thanks for the feedback.

Nitro is stiffer, but I don't think its lighter.

I had an Exile with the Standard frame and also one with the Nitro.  The standard framed Exile would easily rollup with no weight at all - if I added 1 barrel to the Nitro - framed kite, then it felt similar.

All said, I preferred flying the non-nitro kite by a very slim margin, but I can't really say that it was due to the framing.  The bridles may have been different, the non-nitro kite was used to me and had seen many miles.  For whatever reason, side by side I preferred the non-nitro.  I also think the non-nitro flys in less wind (lighter frame and minus a weight), it would go in maybe 0.5 mph lower.

Having said that, if I just picked one up that day and flew it, I could tell no difference.   If I were buying one today, I'd go Mira and nitro.

6 kite tom
RobB

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 01:54 AM »

Wasn't the 'Slice' color config going to be discontinued ? One of the two patterns, I think it was the 'slice'.
I thought the advantage of the Nitros was less bridle wear from the lower spreaders, and that the Nitros look super-cool. My standard has Nitros, and I'm pretty sure my UL does, too. If you spend the extra $$$ for Nitros, you'll get it back if you decided to sell the kite. Another advantage of the Exile, potential resale value, unlike the Zephyr, which people are seemingly having a hard time to give away recently.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Zephyr is a great kite, just kinda rough to spend ~$250 for it, and then to have trouble selling it for $100 when you're done with it. Sounds like the residual on an American car... Shocked

nobbl2k

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 03:41 AM »

Correct, it is the slice pattern, which is going to be quit.
But for the Nitros: What you are talking about are Black Diamond versions of the lower spreaders.
The Exile Std comes with 5PT Black Diamonds stock, no matter, if you choose P2X or Nitro *leading edges* and the UL comes with 3PT Black Diamond spreaders stock.
Love my Std (with Nitro le's) and my UL.  Wink
stapp59
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 03:55 AM »

On the Exile, Ken has discontinued the Slice pattern.  The original Miro layout is still available.  The standard has a choice of P2X or Nitro LEs.  Both weigh the same but the Nitros are stiffer and will handle a  bit more winds.  Some prefer the softer flex of the P2Xs.  Personal preference as both are good tubes.  The lower spreaders are smooth Black Diamond 5PTs.

The UL is framed in 3PT leading edges and Black Diamond 3PT lower spreaders. Nice kites.
RobB

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 06:42 AM »

I didn't know that Black Diamonds were standard lower spreaders on either the standard or Nitro version. I ordered mine with the Nitros, and that's all I know, I've never seen another Exile in person...

stapp59
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51 AM »

I didn't know that Black Diamonds were standard lower spreaders on either the standard or Nitro version. I ordered mine with the Nitros, and that's all I know, I've never seen another Exile in person...

Black diamonds are normal PT tubes sanded and clear coated.  Very smooth, shiny.  Exile standard has always used BD 5PTs for lower spreaders.

The choice is in leading edge tubes; P2X or Nitros.

Nitros are larger in diameter, a different tube entirely than PT series.  To confuse a bit more, Nitros are available in clear coat for lower spreader applications.  aka BD Nitros. 

Check out the Skyburner site on the right sponsor list.

Quantum_Leap

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 01:20 PM »

Let me see if I understand...

The extra $15 will change the LE tubes from P2X to Nitro's which will give the kite a "stiffer" feel. I planned on getting a spare LS and LLE. Looks like I might want to order the Nitro and pickup P2x as my spare?
stapp59
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 02:21 PM »

Let me see if I understand...

The extra $15 will change the LE tubes from P2X to Nitro's which will give the kite a "stiffer" feel. I planned on getting a spare LS and LLE. Looks like I might want to order the Nitro and pickup P2x as my spare?

Correct on the Nitro costing a little more and being a bit stiffer than the P2X. 

Your choice will dictate the spare parts you order for the LLE.  They should match and be replaced with the same tube type.  P2X and Nitros are hard to mix since the ferrules of the Nitro are larger in diameter.  To change from one tube type to the other will require changing all four tubes in the LEs.
Quantum_Leap

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 04:48 PM »

Now I get it...found this at the Skyshark website,

"We also have just started producing a new larger diameter tube that is going to be called the Black Diamond Nitro. We developed this tube in cooperation with Ken McNeill of Blue Moon Kites. Ken wanted a tube that was stiffer than our current 5pt to stop any wing chatter that comes with high wind flying and to create better all around performance. So the new tube has a larger diameter, different taper, and is about 15 to 20% stiffer than our current 5pt. It is also a sanded tube. This tube can also be cut from the large end as well as the small end. This gives you the ability to change the stiffness. We may also clear coat tubes for spreaders. It's one of the stiffest tube I have ever had at 15 grams."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum