GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling up kite in nose forward  (Read 1989 times)
50flyer
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 01, 2010, 03:40 PM »

I can do it by accident  once in a while

Thanks,

Bob M.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:40 AM by 50flyer » Logged
tpatter

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:05 PM »

You mean pulling the nose forward and then throwing it back for a "rolls away" from you rollup?

or, a nose "rolls toward" you rollup?

6 kite tom
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:54 PM »

IMHO the winds must be constant and will allow the kite to fall forward. A step or two backward helps in very light winds.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:14 AM »

I think that you are going to have to be quite a bit more accurate about what you're asking here if you expect specific help.  Shocked

Mike,
Redundant (n); see Redundant.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
50flyer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:43 AM »

not a turtle roll up, where the kite flops on its back and rolls up.a forward flip and rolls up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:48 AM by 50flyer » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05 AM »

not a turtle roll up, where the kite flops on its back and rolls up.a forward flip and rolls up.

OK then. So taking the set up move for a Crazy Copter and letting it keep going ?

Well for one thing you will need a very pitch-friendly kite to get this done low down in the wind window. Of the kites that I've tried - original Mohawk, Element, Cosmic TC XS. Or you could just load your kite up with lead  Wink

And for another thing, don't expect to fly the kite around as you might in a backflipped Yoyo. The flying lines will be running under the TE over the back of the sail and any sail pressure will just flip the kite right back out of the Yoyo.

I'd start waaaay high in the window first (as with the complete Crazy Copter) and work your way down. IIRC it's a sort of push to completely stall the kite, then an sharp, even pull (not pop) to get the kite coming forward then get some slack in to let it make its own way around. I'll go out now and see if I have remembered it  Grin

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:51 AM »

A standard Fury .85 will do it - I found it best to pull to power the kite up as I flew upward, slight release then a really snappy pop with immediate slack and *lots* of it. ISTR I had best results around 50%-75% up the window.

As you say I could never get it to stay wrapped, it would just unroll again

50flyer

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42 AM »

Thanks for all the replys.

Bob M.
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:11 AM »

That KFX you just sold is very adept at this maneuver.

Most kites require that you have some forward/upward momentum that the pilot interrupts with a very quick push followed immediately with an aggressive, hard pull.

Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22 AM »

For a kite to do a forward rollup, it requires a bit of tuning, balance and luck.  Sometimes you manage to adjust to the right combination and sometimes not.  It is very unusual for a kite to be able to do both forward and backward rollup during the same flying session without changing tuning.  More often than not the kite only will go one way or the other.

Among the kites which have done forward rolls for me are Fury .85, Mamba, Mantis and Exile, QPro and Widow Maker, I think.

Also wind conditions apparently come into play on whether or not forwards are possible.

Gardner
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04 PM »

Some real nice ones (2) here at about 30 secs of so.

Fearless Vented Light Promo Part 2.wmv

Check out part 1 as well - he does many both forward and backward.

I guess I had that wrong - these are downward flying "rolls away" from you yoyos, but the part 1 video has what you're describing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:06 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change