GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What inspired you to pick up the lines?  (Read 5739 times)
aland
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: June 02, 2010, 09:30 AM »

Hello all,
I was talking to an old flying buddy yesterday and we got to talking about what inspired us to start flying stunt kites. For me it was when I was on a vacation in Orlando in '89. Our hotel room overlooked a park where I saw a guy flying precision. I was amazed and went to talk with him. He spent the next 3 hours teaching me to fly. I bought that kite from him and never looked back.
I thought it would be interesting to see when/where fellow fliers picked it up.

Cheers
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38 AM »

this is kinda embarrassing, but whatever haha.

When i was 5, I watched Merry Poppins.
Lets go fly a kite- the last piece at the end. Fell in love with kites right then and there.

Never looked back after that.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:54 AM »

getting bored one day and messing around with trash bags and straws. Then a book on kite building, then a beetle, then a few used kites and lots of sewing...
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:20 AM »

Making a 6ft diamond kite with my uncle when I was about 6 y/o.

Thinking about it the same guy got me into motorbikes, my other obsession.

Dave Waymant, if your still out there you have a lot to answer for  Cheesy

ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30 AM »

My first kite pictured here.  I ate cans and cans of green beans to get one.
http://www.junkbox.com/kites/GreenGiantPromoKites.shtml

As a kid it went as high as the airplanes.  Smiley
aland
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:05 PM »

Very Cool.  Wink
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27 PM »

I flew cheap beach kites with the kids on holiday for several years, me flying them more than the kids, and while I enjoyed it, I only ever flew when on holiday.  Then one christmas someone bought me a book on 'proper' kites which I read several times.  Then a relative gave me 20 for a birthday present and, inspired by the book, I decided to spend it on a 'good' kite - a Spirit of Air Razor. One thing led to another and now I have 2 kite bags full of kites and a serious flying addiction!!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:29 PM »

I flew Indian fighters and mylar dragons obsessively for a year or so as a pre-teen in the '70s. Then I grew up (or tried).

in 1998 a friend had a three stack of Trylbys. They were falling apart and never did fly right, but being at Shoreline with lots of real kites around got me interested. I bought a Jeff Howard PKC fighter from Dan at GWTW and never looked back. A month or so later I bought my first real dual line kite, a Prism Vector.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:03 PM »

I live down the street from Jon T's kite shop in Plymouth.  I went to a Weds. nite fly and someone let me fly their stunt kite...and the rest is history! Huh Huh Cheesy
Life is Good!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06 PM »

summer 1994 a friend in college said "lets go fly a kite".....'fly a kite' i thought 'wtf'..
we rode our bikes to Colt State Park in Bristol RI and he pulled out a Tracer.....i was hooked on it 30 minutes later.....then i found High Flyers in Newport that January and got MY first kite....a Black Flexi hotshot....then 3 months later i got my first guildworks....a 333......long downward spiral since then.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:12 PM »

A couple freinds called one day and said I had to go buy a cheap kite at the drug store, seemed they had figured out that if you slacked the line they would turn and they were fighting them, trying to cut each other down (they'd never heard of fighters) sounded gay but also like a challenge so I did. A bit later I saw a dual line Gayla, thought that would beat them, wrong, didn't fly. Then I found the TRLBY's, they flew, dacron lines against cotton didn't work out though. Oh well, a new spool of line and I was having a blast just flying. Then the Toy Store got in the Avenger, drug my a** around the field. That was 1985 or so.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:59 PM »

About 10 years ago on a family vacation, my wife said "You need a kite." We were in front of a kite store in Southern California.

We bought a Team Hawaiian and lines and tails for $210. I almost had a heart attack.

She didn't know what she started.  Cool

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Torontokitefliers

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05 PM »

In 1989, I lived in Vancouver and watched Ray Bethell fly his kites daily at Vanier Park.  Soon enough, I got a sport kite for my birthday - it didn't fly well and Ray thought it was crap - so then we got a better one.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:51 PM »

bought a trlby single for a fun afternoon. great, great introduction kite. a real shame they're no longer in production to entice people into the hobby.

Fdeli
glider

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:08 PM »

At WSIKF 2006 ... Seeing Lam Hoac with low & slow Jacobs Ladders five feet from the crowd.
And iQuad.  This would have been just as iQuad was really starting to gel.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum