GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What inspired you to pick up the lines?  (Read 5546 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18 PM »

I must be a newbie, after seeing how long some of you been into Kiting, Bought my first kite in Bodega Bay, a Go-Fly-A-Kite Storm Series Hurrican in 2005, only flew it a few times when we went to the beach, Nov 2007 I joined this forum, one of the members (DWayne, Denny) made a suggestion to try a Window Maker, I ordered one and that was it I was hooked, It was the difference from flying a Bus and flying a Porsche, watching others fly and wanting fly that good has pushed me to the point of flying every chance I get, I carry my kites with me everywhere, including to work, (Thanks, Denny)
John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
John Welden

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55 PM »

A friend of mine in high school had a cheepo kite from Costco and that's how I got started. We used to fly it on fishing line.  Roll Eyes

It must have been about 9 years out of school before I bought my own kite and became a kite fanatic with my Prism Fanatic.

Now I'm semi retired from kiting.  Cheesy
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45 PM »

I got back into flying kites a 2nd time in 1983 as a form of therapy to deal with post traumatic stress disorder and anger management issues I had come home out of the Army with.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46 PM »

I lived across the street from the park where they have the San Ramon Art and Wind Festival.  I don't believe I had seen dual line flying before then.  I watched a wide variety of flyers do their thing and thought how cool it was.

The next weekend or so, my wife and I ran into a guy flying in the park.  I watched with facination as he set up the kite and lines.  He let us breifly hold the lines and do a turn or two before he went on to his flying.  We found out that kind of kite was very expensive (at least too expensive to spend on a kite, anyway  Cheesy).

If I remember correctly, it was the following year that I purchased a small, super cheepo spectra sport dual line kite with terrible line on plastic handles.  I wasn't aware that I needed to unwrap all of the line and tried to fly with them partially unwound.  Hard as I tried, I couldn't fly that kite for more than a few seconds before crashing into the ground.  Each year around the festival, I would try to fly that thing with the same fustrating results.

I started reading about dual line kites on line.  I made some flying straps and finally had some limited success when I equalized the lines.  It was about then that I got an E2 and couldn't believe the difference.  I could suddenly fly.  I later tried to fly the little Spectra Sport after gaining some skill and control and it was possible but too touchy for a beginner.  A real piece of work.

After that E2 I was hooked.

Matt
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 08:24 AM »

We use to take a week vacation to South Padre Island, Tx to visit my Mom.  On a trip in the late 80's saw some people flying dual lines on the beach and my Mom said yea there is a kite shop down the beach (The original Windchasers owned by Jim).  My wife and I went down to look around.

Jim's low key sales pitch was to take you to this great open area, the flats, and give you enough of a lesson to keep the kite in the air.  Then he says "You fly as long as you like I'll be a the shop when you're done."  When you get back to the shop the question is not if but - which kite you're gonna get.  Got a Skynasaur Tracer.  Only flew once a year while on vacation at South Padre due to my local low wind.  Finally got an HQ Tramantana HP from Dan at GWTW that would fly nicely in my local inland winds.

Then learned about THE AXEL, "in door" kites (what could that be?), power kites, pairs, teams, etc.  But the greatest discovery after finding the old Crescent City Kite Flyers was finding kite folks.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57 AM »

Maybe the question need to be rephrased for accuracy?

"What inspired you to keep going?" Smiley

For me personally (like some out there) curiosity got me started. The creative, artistic as well as technical aspect of stunt kite flying kept me going.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Charly
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47 PM »

Maybe the question need to be rephrased for accuracy?

"What inspired you to keep going?" Smiley

For me personally (like some out there) curiosity got me started. The creative, artistic as well as technical aspect of stunt kite flying kept me going.

-Darryl

I was an adrenaline junkie when I came back out of the military.  I was the guy that built and rode super high performance Japanese "super bikes".  I loved to go ride as hard and fast as I could to relax.  Your so focused on what your doing that everything else is lost.  You haven't got the time to think about your problems because mentally you have to stay right there focused on what your doing.

When my therapist asked me what I did to relax, my reply was "about 180 mph" in a straight away.  He suggested that "I go fly a kite instead", and the rest is history.  But I still have my super bike...LOL

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
doddg

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 09:49 AM »

My wife and I used to vacation at Cape May NJ. She would read books and sunbathe, I was drinking my white russian out of a milk container, saw a guy flying a 12 stack of Trlbys and he let me fly them. He said I was a natural, got to fly his 6'flexi on a bar that first day too.......Bought my first Trlby that night, I was hooked (Summer of 1986)
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 06:11 AM »

Been flying single line kites since i was a toddler,however, i first saw dual line flying on the TV ,doing straight passes and circles only, then i went to a kite festival and saw Jon Trennepohl doing a tip stand, then a coin toss and reverse coin toss, and was amazed that a kite can do  tricks like that  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes, then later on the day , Lam Hoac came on to the field and the flying he did with his Master Control, left me flabbergasted  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue.   -------- I said to myself that i have to learn to fly .  It's been challenging ........... Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry
biglos

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 06:28 AM »

I was an adrenaline junkie when I came back out of the military.  I was the guy that built and rode super high performance Japanese "super bikes".  I loved to go ride as hard and fast as I could to relax.  Your so focused on what your doing that everything else is lost.  You haven't got the time to think about your problems because mentally you have to stay right there focused on what your doing.

When my therapist asked me what I did to relax, my reply was "about 180 mph" in a straight away.  He suggested that "I go fly a kite instead", and the rest is history.  But I still have my super bike...LOL

Charly

Charly, I agree with you 100%. I have been trying for years to try to explain how the only things that relax me require 100% concentration. I went from motorcycles to RC Heli and then to kites cause I thought they were going to be inexpensive. lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:31 AM by biglos » Logged
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08 AM »

"This guy" doing "Incredible stuff".  I asked him what the kite looked like, and then I whipped out my Nirvana and asked, "Did it look like this?".

Smiley

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change