GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E2 and E3 Batten Assembly  (Read 1736 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: June 03, 2010, 05:15 PM »

I am a little confused by the batten instructions.  On the E2 the instructions say the battens go on the BACK side of the sail.  The pic clearly shows a lower spreader so this would be the spreader side.  The E3 instructions say the battens go on the BACK side of the kite.  Since the pic does not show a spreader I am not sure it they go on the spreader side or the side opposite the spreader.

Could someone clarify the installation position for both the E2 and E3?

Also do the battens flex away or into the sail?  I wanted to put them into the sail but they insist on being away.  Into the sail I understand could help the shape but if they should be away what is the purpose?

Thanks,

Tom
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:11 PM »

There was some confusion about this when the E2 came out. 

I put the battens on the back of my E2, as you look at it from flying position.  Or in other words, on the opposite side of the sail from the spreaders.  I flew the kite several months with the battens on the other side, and frankly, I couldn't tell much a difference when I was flying. 

The battens do indeed curve out away from the sail.  This keeps the sail taught even if the sail stretches a bit after use (quite unlikely with the mylar reinforcement.

Hope that helps.

Steady winds, y'all.
RobB

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:51 PM »

I think the position is the same for the E2 & E3, like in this picture. These are both E2s, and show the wingtip battens where I put them.
~Rob.

Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49 PM »

Well,

Since you asked, I have always put mine on the inside. Yet I have to Arch mine a little bit towards the nose to the Tip. As well as I arch it Outwards Into the sail. Giving it a Nice clean arch as if it was filled with air.  Wink

I Have always done it that way from my first E2 back on 03ish to my New one now. As well as Both of my E3's.

My reason is simple, if I miss the roll up catcher that I have on ALL of my kites. The string does not catch the batten as it slides down the leading edge. Leading me to that walk of shame quite as easy. For Myself it is just easier to Undo the rolled up line in the air on one string by doing the maneuver for a Nose away and recover if possible. With the tip wrap Like in the Insane type trick, I think its called???  Roll Eyes

Mr Ed

Let the Flack Begin

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:29 PM by Fast EDDY » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57 PM »

Battens on the back.
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20 AM »

Battens on the back.
        and they will curve outwards to keep the sail taught.
Kitemac

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53 AM »

This I find to be confusing.  My E2 was bought new from Steve since the prices dropped so much I couldn't resist any longer.  The manual that came with the kite shows the following:

It looks like Prism says battens are on the spreader side.  There is a schematic of the kite in the manual which also shows the battens in the same position.  The experts say not so... they are on the opposite side.  The E3 manual does show the battens to be on the opposite side of the spreaders which led me to ask the original question.

Since I do not have the knowledge base that you have what is the basis for saying the manual is not correct?  Just trying to understand why and not questioning your collective wisdom.  You haven't led me down the wrong path yet.

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:59 AM »

The manual picture is wrong.

Battens on the back.

It's a question of which way wing tip movement is being limited.
Texanpilot

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:03 AM »

The manual picture is wrong.

Battens on the back.

It's a question of which way wing tip movement is being limited.

Ditto. 

I've never seen the spreader side of the sail called the "back" by anyone.  Because it's the side you see, it's always been the front.

Steady winds, y'all.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53 AM »

Back of the sail (same side as the spine).  The image Prism used was incorrect.  This was a big point of confusion when the E2 originally came out.

Front of the sail always refers to the side that faces you during flight and is the "prettier" side of the kite.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kitemac

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:08 AM »

Okay I think I got it now.  So much for reading the manual.   Sad  I really don't know how a company that prides itself in kite technology could let both the picture and drawing get into the manual showing the battens in the wrong position.  I would have flown the kite with the battens in the wrong position until someone pointed it out.  I wonder how many other E2 fliers are doing the same.
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 11:31 AM »

how   could  you  fly the  kite  with  the   battens  on the  front   would  that  not   distort  the   TE  shape  since  the  pocket  for  it  is  on  the  back  side  of  the  sail   just  wondering 

Good air always Bobby
RobB

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 12:46 PM »

I flew my first E2 with the battens wrong until I met up with others at the NE Trick clinic. People in the know set me right. I don't think it makes that much of a difference, really, better to be there on one side or another than not at all...

xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26 PM »

how   could  you  fly the  kite  with  the   battens  on the  front   would  that  not   distort  the   TE  shape  since  the  pocket  for  it  is  on  the  back  side  of  the  sail   just  wondering 
The way the pocket is sewn you can actually put it on the front or back...which is probably the cause of some confusion to begin with... Roll Eyes

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:11 PM »

It probably doesn't, but one thing it will affect is the low wind range. The batten in the correct position works to reduce wash in at the winglet when the wind is not pushing it further out. So in lighter wind this is working to create more lift in the sail.

And as far as the manual goes, is it really that unusual for manuals to be improperly proofread? Not in my experience. Nor books, or magazines or anything else in this day and age.

I flew my first E2 with the battens wrong until I met up with others at the NE Trick clinic. People in the know set me right. I don't think it makes that much of a difference, really, better to be there on one side or another than not at all...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document