GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 07:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 1647 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 03, 2010, 11:33 PM »

Hi all,

This happened 2.5 years ago, and I'm still not sure how I did it, and  my mind keeps going back to it every now and then, please help me assuage myself of this mystery.

It's at the 20 sec mark (I have put a little of the flying just before just so you can see that everything is traveling OK).

What happened is that one of my lines ends up behind my back, and I have no idea how it ended up there Huh

So if you have a min or 2 to have a look, see if you can see what I did wrong.

Cheers

A Puzzle at Coolum

WinterDaze AoF
freecheese
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:05 AM »

My guess is your lines touched the ground and you stepped over your righleft line. That was a pretty deep flick!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:15 AM by freecheese » Logged
freecheese

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:23 AM »

Nice recovery, by the way!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:27 AM »

it's the left line which mysteriously ends up behind his back. from the time he gives the input to the time he fixes it his left foot only moves once.

i have no idea how it happened. looks a mystery to me as well.

incredibly nice looking place to fly though.

Fdeli
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32 AM »

Looks like you step over you left line with your left foot as you flare the kite (slack line on the ground). When you feel the line against your right leg, you step over it with that leg and the line ends up behind your back.

Just as well you did...  spectra burns in the nether regions would STING!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
freecheese

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14 AM »

Whoops, it is the left line!  Lips sealed
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:52 AM »

A broken flic-flac? Its unusual since its PURE wind you are flying in with an over aggressive footwork move - a step over ... nice Beach ... WIDE.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:54 AM »

WD...
 Cheesy
I thought messed up stuff like that only happens to me !

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08 AM »

I've done it before.  Usually when giving a ton of slack for a trick, like a 540, when I pull my arms way back.

Around here, if the wind dies when doing that, the lines wind up tangled across my back.
WinterDaze

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 06:48 AM »

Thanks all,

I don't want to mention how many times that little 'oops' has popped into my head since doing it.
I'm lucky that my GF was shooting it I suppose, now I think I can put it behind me now  Cool

Kevin, cheers mate, I've looked at it a few times since reading your reply and I think you've got it, it seems to make good sense. And you're right, I think part of the reason I remember it is the 'potential pain scenario' really stamped a 'note to self' on my kite flying brain.

@FreeCheese, thanks for having a go, I think the quick recovery was done to hide my potential embarrassment as quickly as possible, "all's well that ends well" as they say. Smiley

APJ, that was nice of you to suggest I was attempting an actual trick but I think what you'll find is you were watching a rank amateur just hoping not to shatter the kite in the surf while at the same time constantly tempting fate  Wink

And Rob, rest assured, you are not alone!

And finally...
It was shot at The Hyatt Coolum just a couple of km's south of where the Coolum kite festival is held, and it is a most glorious bit of beach, and only about 10 people as far as the eye can see (Oh and it has a half decent golf course if you're that way inclined) Grin

WinterDaze AoF
lylenc

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22 PM »

I went to WSIKF one year when GWTW was there, 2003 I think. I was flying in soft sand and stepped over the line during a 540, except the line came up between my legs.  Lips sealed

I kept hopping forward on one foot trying to throw my leg back over, but the soft sand made it hard to move very fast. The breeze kept taking up the slack as fast as I was hopping.  Sad

What excited me the most was that I was almost getting a 900 out of the trick.  Tongue

But of course, almost anything touching me between the legs gets me excited.  Cool

I hopped three or four times before I lost my balance. The flailing made it lawn dart.  Embarrassed

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document