GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Weather Update  (Read 2444 times)
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 12:10 PM »

Chilese,

OK I was referring to the temp taken from my own thermometer at home, so the 115F is unofficial.  (NWS recorded "official" highest temp in Bismarck was 114F in 1936, and I wasn't around then.)  I can't find the NWS report for the day I was taking about, but I do know if was near 110.

I am still sticking by my humidity data, because it was darn "sticky that day.  Maybe I need a lesson in reading your chart, but it looks to me like it goes over the 50% range.

Anyway, I don't want to start a fight.  When it is that hot, you have to decide if you are prepared both mentally and physically for any kind of outdoor activity.

jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:44 PM »

Not a problem Schook.   Smiley

The chart is used by HVAC engineers (not me). Humidity at high temperatures is very hard to gage by feel.

If you read across the bottom of the chart (Dry Bulb Temp) first, find the temperature and then go up vertically until you intersect the curvy lines (RH%). Then follow the slanted lines upward and to the left until you get to the 100% RH upper left side of the chart. That is the Wet Bulb Temp, or the theoretical temperature at which rain would fall.

At 55% RH, the chart tops out around 107F.

As you noted, the chart does go over 50% RH. It goes up to 100% RH, but not for the higher temperatures.

Flying in conditions that bad, should always be done with a hat, plenty of water, sunglasses and common sense.

At 100F, the chart stops near 70% RH.

Note that the 90F/90RH point people back east speak of is on the chart and would truly be a miserable day.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 04:38 PM »

With an apology to Schook:

I found this:

The dew point has been measured on the shore of Ethiopia, the area is now part of Eritrea, at 94F. The highest known dew point temperature in the world. The relative humidity with a temperature of 115F and a dew point of 94F is 54%

The world record for recorded temperatures is basically what Schook stated. This world record is off the graph I have referenced. I didn't believe this could be obtained. So, the numbers he stated have been recorded on the planet, somewhere, once.

Remind me never to go to the shores of Eritrea in the summertime.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 07:54 AM »

John,
No need to apologize. 

I did incorrectly state some facts.  The day I was referring to was July 30, 2006 and here are the "official" stats: High temp in Bismarck that day was 112F and while the humidity at that time was only 12 - 15%, it was over 55% humidity earlier in the day.

Luckily we dont see that kind of weather up here very often.
jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00 AM »

Let's see - 109 degrees but 10% humidity - repeat after me "yes, but it's a "dry" heat." Anyone thinking about dry roasted peanuts? When temps get above 100, IMO it's HOT. I spent a few weeks an Las Vegas in the early 90's in September doing a construction job in the mall on the strip (Fashion Square?) and I tip my hat to the LV residents to live with that heat.

I'm east of Albuquerque at 6700' so we're usually 10 degrees cooler than the city. Rare to get over 90-95 here.

Not to hijack the thread, if any local or near local kiters read this, pop me a PM and we can fly sometime. I miss the bay area and Shoreline.
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 02:34 PM »

Hmmm.  Venice Beach weather looks good for flying today!
Partly cloudly.
68 degrees.
63% RH
Winds 9mph from the SW.

Think I'll go fly a SLK and honor my dad!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document