GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for dualline team routines  (Read 1033 times)
designkites
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 06, 2010, 10:38 PM »

Hi guys,

We are start to fly a 4 person team in Holland, but it seems a bit boring because we don't have a routine. We have also no experience making a team routine.

The question is, are there some basic team routines which we can practise for a start? I know there were team boothcamps in the UK, were teams learn to fly basic routine written by Skydance. It would be great to have such routine to start with. During a year of practise new ideas will come up for our own routine and ballet.

I hope you can send me some links of those teams routines.

Thanks, greetings,

Stephen

designkites
total kite experience
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:02 AM »

Here are a few,

"Beginning team basics" by Bert Tanaka

"Kite Precision: Your Comprehensive Guide for Flying Controllable Kites"  by Ron Reich

"Team Flying Basics", co-authored by Jerry Hershey and Troy Gunn

Hope this is enough to get you started/discouraged on team flying

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33 PM »

Great links Mike, I didn't know parts of Ron Reich's book were on-line, in my library now  Smiley 
(btw: haven't found those handles yet, still on the ToDo list though)

Saw another from Ron Reich off the AKA site, A Choreographed Pairs Routine that you might find useful. Ron was the choreographer for Team Top of the Line that set the standard during the 80's & 90's when competitions were first being developed.

Of course there are the Team Compulsory Figures posted at the AKA site, that's always a good starting point.

There are some more articles in KiteLife, issues 31, 33 & 34 have columns by Ari Contzius, under Team Tirades. You'll find the archives starting here http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/content.php I see there may be more worthwhile reading there too.

There was also some team instructions by Jeff McCown of WindJunkies happening over at Blue Moon Kites but I didn't find the section this morning after Ken's redesign. I've got the articles saved if Ken & Jeff wouldn't mind me passing them along.

Except for the one article by Ron Reich I haven't seen anything resembling a full routine posted, all these have mostly to do with developing your team and own routines. So your best bet is to read everything you can and check out the video sites like You Tube and Vimeo, there's also a great Facebook site for the World Sport Kite Championships where they've posted video's from this years event and many from the past, you'll have to keep clicking for older posts to see them all. KiteLife.com also has a section of vintage team video's from the 80's & 90's. Watch everything you can find, see a maneuver you like, break it down and make it your own. Watch those transitions from one maneuver to the next, I bet those are as important as the maneuvers themselves to keep a smooth flow. Once you have a few maneuvers in the bag you'll be choosing some music and starting your choreography, one of your members may prove to be great at that or it may be a team effort. Many have found making up a bunch of "kites on a stick" to practice and visualize the routine while sitting shoulder to shoulder helps rather then spread out on the field with actual kites. Crashes are much easier to recover from with sticks so it keeps the flow going that way.

We'll be looking forward to some video's soon from you guys, best wishes.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document