GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what LW kite would u recommend for me  (Read 3904 times)
mtk beach flyer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 08, 2010, 04:09 PM »

Hello everyone.

I live in a area that gets winds on average from 0-45mph.  Atm I have a e2 that I enjoy but to be honest I am quiet new too the whole stunt kite scene and thats what I learned on.  As for tricks I am not doing anything to exciting.  Mostly have been working on all the stalls, lazy susans and just been working on my flying.  I am itching to get a second kite.  I was set on a E3 but as I sit here and write the wind is about 2-5 mph but sitting more at the 2 mph.  With that said I am thinking my next kite should  be more of a light wind kite.  My thought was the Zephyr but am up to suggestions.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:29 PM »

the ProDancer SUL if you have really low winds. That kite seems to fit your guidelines. Not to tricky. Tracks like a madman! Awesome kite.

the new Ocius UL will also be a wonderful choice. It comes out very soon. Skyburner Kites

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:32 PM »

4d by prism

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37 PM »

The Zephyr is a unique kite in that it really isn't designed to go down to the ultra light wind ranges, but the Zephyr is a dream to fly in winds from 5-10mph.  I would classify the Zephyr as a Light Standard kite, not an ultra light.  Others may feel a bit different on this than me but that is my opinion.  For the lighter winds I feel you would do better with a true Ultra Light kite instead of the Zephyr.

For light winds from say 1-6 mph, I would recommend the HQ Shadow or new Prism 4D.  The Shadow would be a little better in those winds and will trick easier but the 4D is a great light wind kite as well and can be flown indoors (or outdoors in zero winds).

Winged V

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:51 PM »

For the winds u mentioned the Widow Maker UL would Amaze you.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:01 PM »

At 2 mph wind speed, the Widow Maker UL (which I own and like a lot) will be on the ground unless you are moving your feet.

The Shadow UL (closer to an SUL) is the trickiest very light wind kite I have flown (it does have lots of oversteer, so you have to use small hand motions for turns). It is also reasonably priced. You do have to adjust the bridle as it is set from the factory way too heavy.

The ProDancer SUL will fly in less wind, but will not do tricks: that isn't what it was designed for.

2 mph = 2.93 ft/sec

If you can feel the wind, it is over 2 mph unless you're really sweaty and get that slight cooling sensation on one side of your neck.

Shadow: Clickable Link

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:29 PM »

I have a e2 that I enjoy ...................... I am itching to get a second kite.  I was set on a E3 but as I sit here and write the wind is about 2-5 mph but sitting more at the 2 mph. 

The E2 & E3 are essentially the same kite. If you really enjoy the E2 and want to get another some day, get an E3.

Learning to fly in low wind is tough. I'd say since you already have a very good kite for wind above 5, go with something very light so you can keep it in the air easier.

Problem is, light kites tend to be fragile, which is a drag when learning. They break when they are on the ground and when the wind picks up and you try to fly "for just a few more minutes" before switching kites.

The 4D is light enough to have some float when the wind dies but still very durable. It's a bargain. For a more experienced flyer I'd recommend a Shadow or a bigger kite, but the 4D is the right place to start out.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Winged V

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:52 PM »

Standing still ain't going to get it done for all low wind flying.strolling around and knowing what's going on in the window and reacting to a low wind window is what it's  about,I just got back from a couple of hours in inland winds zero to 4 mph and I can tell u without a doubt,the Widow Maker UL is amazing in LW performance.

Our man has been trying to fly the e2 in low winds and any real ul will keep him flying my suggestion is the WM UL.

rxburner
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02 PM »

Sea Devil UL with an extra 6 grams....
Rx
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 07:04 PM »

At 2 mph wind speed, the Widow Maker UL (which I own and like a lot) will be on the ground unless you are moving your feet.

?? I flew Jon T's wm ul and it flew wonderfully at that wind speed. Barely any movement. Some pumping.
What bridal are you using? Maybe PM me so we don't hijack the thread.

I'm still firm on the Ocius UL and the PDSUL. the WM ul is great too.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 07:28 PM »

Maybe:

1 I'm at a higher elevation (2200 ft)
2 You're a better low wind flier.
3 Jon T put some extra love into your UL.

I've flown several WMULs here in Las Vegas, at 2 mph wind, you will be moving your feet a lot. I stand by my previous comments even at sea level.

You're basically saying you could use a WMUL as an indoor kite if you can fly it easily at 2 mph. I am not that good. Just my opinion.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:38 PM »

If tricks are not high on you list, there are many kites that you can very easily fly in 2mph of wind.

I love the Shadow but I'm not sure that I would recommend it to someone who is still new to flying. 

I'd look at the Exile or Exile UL.  The UL is a smooth steady flyer that will fly with little effort in 1.5-2 mph.  If you can live with flying in 2.75+, I'd go for the standard instead (its just more fun in my opinion).

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 07:54 PM »

If you can feel the wind, it is over 2 mph unless you're really sweaty and get that slight cooling sensation on one side of your neck.

I'll call you on that Grin I can easily feel less than 2mph.

There are many real nice tricky SUL / UL kite that'll work well in your 2-5mph winds.

That being said, what's your budget?

What are looking for in a light wind kite? Flying around or more modern tricks?

If you want more modern tricks, the kite won't just power up and fly around in the real light stuff, You will have to move and / or pump the kite up the window to gain some tricking space. Plus you generally need to move your butt for many tricks regardless of the wind speed. Kites with a higher sail to weight will likely power up in lighter wind but the tricks are more flat spin based.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05 PM »

I'll call you on that Grin I can easily feel less than 2mph.
At what temperature ?

Far be it for me to cast aspersions on someone's windspeed divining skills but 2mph has generally been considered the least that can be felt by most people. The standard experiment is to stand on a treadmill set to 2mph. What do you feel then ?

Oh and if you're "measuring" this real world 2mph with anything it had better be a hot wire anemometer or better 'cos otherwise....  Roll Eyes

This "I can feel ˝mph" is one of the reasons why some UL and SUL kite's low end wind range is so far from reality.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:57 PM »

We kite flyers from Kite Hill, Seattle, due to our nearly-constant non-existant winds, have a grand ability to readily sense the dramatic difference between true 0 and 2 mph (or at least we think we do).  Smiley

One will lightly affect smoke and support flying many kites with reasonable amount of work, the other will not.

Wind speed seems to be something no-one can agree on, whether its 2mph or 20!  Smiley  My philosophy now is to just hook up the lines and fly the thing with little regard to the winds speed, quality, density, temperature, direction, etc, etc.

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change