GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what LW kite would u recommend for me  (Read 3547 times)
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 02:06 AM »

I have flown stunt kites now for about 6 years, I have around 25 kites in my collection and well still growing. I think ,any one thinking of light wind flying should look at a Paul Shirley's Aerostar SSL or SSZ. The workmanship is first rate and his kites fly as good as any other high performance kite that I have flown, I never held fade for 5 min until I bought a Sano. Cheers Keith- Australia
Hadge

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 02:29 AM »

The HQ Shadow is probably the best value for money, fully trickable, (super) Ultralight on the market and would certainly fly in the sort of winds you're talking about.  However, like Tom I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a new flyer as, like most ultralights, it's lightly built.  From what I have seen the 4D might be a more durable ( if not as trickable) option for you until you have a bit more experience.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mtk beach flyer

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 04:11 AM »

Thanks for all the reply's so far.  Let me answer the few questions I have seen asked so far.
1.  Price:  I would prefer not to spend 300.00 but am willing to if its worth it.
2.  What temp will I fly it.  I will fly all year long so the range is 20f-95f
3.  I am at sea level.

Do you know if the wm ul and the hHQ shadow can be purchased from steve here or do I have to look else where?

Thanks again
Richie
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12 AM »

You've got the same wind I do, pretty much. Over the years, I've accumulated around a dozen light wind kites, some good, some not so good. The Zephyr that you considered is a very versatile kite, can fly real low with the right lines and adjustments, and it will fly comfortably up to 15mph. I carried it in my car all the time for 2 years because of the compact case, wide wind range, and it's just plain fun to fly. The 4D will probably fly lower, but it's a small kite. I have never flown a small kite that I liked, but I've never flown the 4D, so I really can't say... it does seem to have nice specs, other than its size. I have a Shadow, it's a really nice kite for the money, good bang for the buck. The Exile UL was mentioned, that's a nice step up from the Shadow, and will fly really low. If you just want to fly and not do too many tricks, kites like the NikNak or Ozone are great. They'll fly when smoke can barely tell what direction to go.

It comes down to budget, I guess... there are a few choices that are less than $150 that will fly great, but probably leave you looking for more. You could spend $600 and end up being disappointed, too. Of all the light wind kites I've flown, I couldn't say which the best one is, but if I had to choose one kite that keeps me flying when nothing else will, my Prism Ozone will never leave my bag...

~Rob.

RobB

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 04:16 AM »

I don't see that Steve lists the Shadow on the store's site, but I'm sure that he sold them. You should ask him if that's what you want. I think you have to order the WM direct, just like the Exile UL.
If you want to try before you buy, meet me out in the field someday.

mtk beach flyer

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 04:27 AM »

Thanks Rob.
I was wondering when you were going to chime in being you know about our ever changing winds here on the east end.  I hope I will be able to head that way on sunday if you are out flying.  I will know a little more by friday.
Thanks again
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11 AM »

I'll call you on that Grin I can easily feel less than 2mph.
At what temperature ?

Far be it for me to cast aspersions on someone's windspeed divining skills but 2mph has generally been considered the least that can be felt by most people. The standard experiment is to stand on a treadmill set to 2mph. What do you feel then ?

Oh and if you're "measuring" this real world 2mph with anything it had better be a hot wire anemometer or better 'cos otherwise....  Roll Eyes

This "I can feel ˝mph" is one of the reasons why some UL and SUL kite's low end wind range is so far from reality.

Mike.

You don't need the most accurate type of wind meter to determine if the wind is less than 2mph. If you have a meter that has an accuracy of even + - 50% at 1mph that's .5 to 1.5mph and I doubt they are anywhere near that inaccurate. I don't think most treadmills set to 2mph are any more accurate than a wind meter at that speed, probably less so. I've used meters that show less than 2 and I can feel it.

Determining the direction can be a challenge in super low wind but is easily doable too.

Back to ULs. $ 300 bucks gives you LOTS of choices. The Shadow is a bit squirrely but is a very light wind trickable kite. I feel the HQ Breeze will go lower but is less pitchable but smoother. Cascades, Flic Flacs are there but tough to hit. The Shadow will hit these and hit some Yo-Yo based stuff too.

The Widowmaker UL is kind of like Blue Moons ULs in that they are more of a UL / SUL. I haven't flown it side by side with the Shadow but my sense is that they have a similar low wind capability. In my opinion, the WM UL is way smoother and better behaved. They are very well made too. Jon makes the Freestylist UL too and it's less than 200 bucks.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34 AM »

You don't need the most accurate type of wind meter to determine if the wind is less than 2mph.
But you really do if you want to measure it properly. That's why they make them. That's why they developed an entirely different methodology to the rotary anemometers that most people, including me, use. And if you're then going to go on and claim that you can feel a wind and that your reasoning that it is below 2mph is a handheld "wind meter" or, goddess forbid, something off your iPhone then you're working with faulty data.

Kite advice:- Buy a Cosmic TC Ghost and move about a bit.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59 AM »

you're working with faulty data.

Not faulty data but with a % margin of error. I would never claim I could tell if the wind is 1.3759824 mph or any other exact speed for instance but I just may be able to "feel" it.

It doesn't really matter. Either the kite will work for you in the current conditions or it won't. Some will work with less wind than others. Others can't handle changes in direction / velocity as easily, this is even more important to where I fly because of the variable nature of the wind. 

The best my favorite UL trick kite I've ever flown is the Mohawk XS UL. Now that the Euro is down, it should come in right at your $300 and is available from a forum sponsor too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:01 AM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Jared

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 11:16 AM »

Seems to be a lot of hot air about windspeed in this thread.  For contrast, here's a kite recommendation Smiley

If you're willing to wait for the British Pound to follow the Euro, go for the Talon UL!

tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59 AM »

Seems to be a lot of hot air about windspeed in this thread.  For contrast, here's a kite recommendation Smiley

If you're willing to wait for the British Pound to follow the Euro, go for the Talon UL!

Been thinking about that one.  What do you consider the realistic low wind on that one?

6 kite tom
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19 PM »

ahh wind ranges
often listed from highly skilled launch to catastrophic failure
blatant plug--- NTK desire for  no tricks
Rob
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:21 PM by rncembal » Logged

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Jared

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 12:56 PM »

Been thinking about that one.  What do you consider the realistic low wind on that one?

I'll shy away from stating actual numbers, and do it comparative style.

Will fly in winds:
Lower than a Zephyr
Lower than a QPro SUL
About on par with / Slightly higher than a Cosmic TC Ghost
Higher than the Echo.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography