GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 04:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: axel trouble  (Read 1443 times)
tyt921
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 08, 2010, 09:14 PM »

when i get the nose towards 2 o'clock direction and yank my left hand, my line always get caught on the kites left wing. it ends up spinning endlessly towards the left. what am i doing wrong? also, is the hypnotist more capable flying at lower winds or higher winds? thanks thanks
Beachbum
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42 PM »

when i get the nose towards 2 o'clock direction and yank my left hand, my line always get caught on the kites left wing. it ends up spinning endlessly towards the left. what am i doing wrong? also, is the hypnotist more capable flying at lower winds or higher winds? thanks thanks

Klingon Death spin

Remember to throw both hands out after you pull the initiating hand, ie the left hand in this case.

The Hypno is a great kite that handles 6-10 the best.  Too low and you're not getting anywhere, and too high you will have to do a bit more walking before you initate a trick.
tyt921

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00 PM »

omggggg, thanks!!!! i totally forgot to do that. today i completed the axel 3/20 times, and was wondering what i did wrong.....

yeah, im looking for a full size trickable kite, that is capable of taking lower winds, not necessary low winds. ie....like 3-6 mph.....

ottherwise for the fact that im looking for a full size, i would have just bought the 4d
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31 AM »

Yep, the most common mistake I see people make when they are learning is "yanking", not popping.  In other words, they concentrate so much on getting a sharp movement they do the pull back without the release.

Think of how you knock on someone's door... it is a sharp "pop", but it is a two way movement.  You usually don't leave your knuckles against the door.

So when you are next trying the axel, position your hands low near your sides so that the pop can be done almost as if you are knocking on a door next to your leg

Hope this helps

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37 AM »

the door knocking next to your leg kevin is an excellent analogy, kudos sir.

Fdeli
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:16 AM »

Good one Kaos, just give away all the secrets why don't you  Wink

Welcome to the journey tyt921  Smiley

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:08 AM »

Try it at the edge of wind window or when the wind is lighter. You want the kite to be somewhat stalled (kind of floppy) to start learning how to axel.

Bob D.
tyt921

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 12:39 PM »

another HUGE issue is, i find the kite always drifting up towards the sky. duh.....but i see people on youtube, they are able to comfortably keep their kite on low grounds. i can too, but not in my power window. i can very much keep the kite low but never near my power window, it always goes UPPPPPP. how come? something i need to do with the bridle?  Huh
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 01:24 PM »

i would be walking forward - or at least a step or two if i wanted to keep it there.......
plus you get the potential for a double if you keep moving forward and then pop that line at the right time.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:03 PM »

Walking forward is the best advice if the wind speed warrants that, keeping low in the boundary layer keeps some pressure off the sail. Try stepping forward and letting the kite land after your Axel.

When you're up to it Coin Tosses are fun on higher wind days, basically an Axel from the ground & back to a landing. Try to get the kite up on one wingtip then pop your Axel and let the kite land on the opposite tip. Here's Mark Reed who designed your Hypnotist giving a lesson.

Kite Trick

A bridle option is to set the kite heavier, that is tilt the nose back away from you. I don't recall if the Hypnotist has a knotted upper bridle line at the upper spreader connector. You set a kite heavier by lengthening the upper bridle line, easiest if it has adjustments there, or by moving the pigtail attachment point back toward the tail, mark the original location before messing with it, and make small 1/4 inch adjustments to see if it'll hold a stall better without adversely changing the flight. When you get too heavy the kite won't move forward easily and will spin in place.

The Hypnotist is not a low wind kite but I find tricks easiest to do in lower winds, for the Hypnotist that is probably in the 4-8 mph range although it's capable of doing them higher, you'll just have to move forward more when it's 10 or above.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document