GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 01:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coiling the Lines  (Read 2884 times)
tyt921
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2010, 01:17 AM »

Roll Eyes

Just came back from the beach a few days ago, my lines are really messed up. All wet with sea water. So today i rinsed with fresh water and let it air dry. any problem with that? alsoooooo when i started coiling the lines from the handles first, i end up with 1 end longer, ALOT longer than the other end. what gives? But the line itself is perfectly equal to one another.....

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:07 AM »

it's likely one wrap on one of the two lines fell off while you were winding it up, got re-wrapped, and ended up off by the length of your winder. think about if when you started wrapping your lines you wrapped one around the winder twice and then started wrapping them together how both lines could be the same length but you're going to reach the end of one before the other since one started later than the other. if that makes sense.

as for the washing, with the method you used you're good to go. you can also use a mild soap like dish soap or hand soap as well. just make sure you rinse and dry them well.

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:33 AM »

Here's what I've found: I always placed a finger between my lines while wrapping to work out any twists I may have left, I did use my index finger closest to the spool which caused the lines to be seperated as they went on the spool, that causes them to be uneven. I now place my ring finger between the the lines and keep the two lines together as they go on the spool with my thumb & forefinger. No more uneven lines  Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59 AM »

Better to have the lines uneven on the spool, than when flying

Are you using figure 8, or just straight winding?

I notice that my line are slightly uneven after unwinding, if there is a great difference then either you dropped one when winding

I would walk the lines out again, separate the two and check they are equal, then rewind taking care to keep them together

Are you using figure 8, or just straight winding?

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tyt921

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35 AM »

figure 8...hm...i will try to use my fore finger and seperate the 2 strings though...
tyt921

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:54 PM »

what really happened was it got in seawater, then my roommate somehow managed it to get one of the lines SUPER ULTRA TANGLED. then we both tried or attempted to untangle it back. So finally yes its all done, but one line is about 1 foot or 1 foot and a half shorter than the other. the tangled one was that was shorter over all. any ideas?
xuzme720
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15 AM »

...one line is about 1 foot or 1 foot and a half shorter than the other. the tangled one was that was shorter over all. any ideas?
On the winder or fully stretched out straight?

Asfink tersez wot....

Exactly! Party on, Garth!
tyt921

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:51 AM »

fully stretched out
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:54 AM »

Roll Eyes
 i end up with 1 end longer, ALOT longer than the other end. what gives? But the line itself is perfectly equal to one another.....

but one line is about 1 foot or 1 foot and a half shorter than the other. the tangled one was that was shorter over all. any ideas?

Yea I'm confused now, are we discussing how to wind lines or equalize?

Winding lines Corey Jensen's way (straight overhand method)
How to Fly Kites : How to Wind Kite String

Equalizing lines on a quad  John Barresi's way

You replied while I was posting

Are all the tangles out?

sounds like a lot of stretch refer to equalize above
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:11 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 10:01 AM »

this  is  just a  guess    but  are  the  line  100%  spectra    or     are  they a   blended  line     mix  of  spectra  and    dacron     mix    if  they  are  the  mixed   lines     then   they  can   realy steach     un balnced  like  that   normaly   spectra  does  not  streach  un even  like  that  but  just a  guess 

Good air always Bobby
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18 AM »

is it me or is Corey getting thinner???
did not think that was possible........

i have never seen anyone use that straight line method on wrapping sport kite lines before....hmm...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tyt921

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34 PM »

this  is  just a  guess    but  are  the  line  100%  spectra    or     are  they a   blended  line     mix  of  spectra  and    dacron     mix    if  they  are  the  mixed   lines     then   they  can   realy steach     un balnced  like  that   normaly   spectra  does  not  streach  un even  like  that  but  just a  guess 

they are the lines that come with my prism nexus, FUNNY THING IS, i got my hypnotist today, and the lines are also a foot or 2 longer than the other. brand new from the bag. took it out, uneven by a foot or 2. i had to resleeve it. is that what i should do?  Huh
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03 PM »

Unequal lines supplied with kites is an ongoing sore point. It makes them very difficult to fly for a new person, when the instructions say to pull right to turn right, then hold your hands even to go straight but the kite loops directly into the ground you lose fliers. It probably loses more potential kite fliers then any other issue since most of todays kites are very capable even at the lower price range. It's not just Prism kites, the economics of mass production just doesn't allow correctly measuring lines. And the problem seems to be getting worse rather then better  Sad  the last few ready to fly kites we got have been over 12" off too, so bad that Rhonda, a competent flier thought she had forgotten how to fly when she could not keep the kite in the air for more then a few seconds. I hit the ground first take-off too, it was so bad I thought I had the straps in the wrong hands.

Equalize those lines, make a habit of checking the lines whenever you buy new, give them a stretch yourself by securing one end and laying back on the lines at 50% or more of their breaking strength and holding and repeat a few times, then check the lengths and equalize them. You'll be much happier with your new kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 11:01 AM »

yes  it  is  poor  QC   and  the best way  to   fix  it  is  to   resleeve them  and  make  them   equal

Good air always Bobby
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 12:18 PM »

When you folks say "resleeve", you DO mean reusing the same sleeves, right?

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change