GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile UL vs Mantis UL  (Read 1494 times)
50flyer
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 11, 2010, 02:53 AM »

I want to order one of these, but can't decide which one.
Can anyone compair the two?

Thanks,

Bob M.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:54 AM »

Dang.... there used to be a really good comparison of the two on the old BMK forum, but it seems to have slipped off the plate during the last forum refresh. 
Cry  Cry  Cry

ATB,
Sam
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:03 AM »

I've got full sets of both kites.

Wind Range
The Exile goes lower than the Mantis in turbulent breezes, and goes extremely low, verging on SUL country in perfect off sea breezes.
The Mantis will go very low in a perfect off sea breeze, not quite as low as the Exile but its weakness is that it doesn't do so well in turbulent winds unless you do a lot of adjustment. Some of those adjustments will compromise tricks like backspins.

Tricks
The Exile still loves rotational tricks even in its lighter form, with the Mantis you start to notice the lack of inertia, unless you put all the weights on but its still capable. 540s are a joy on both.

The Exiles love to backspin and is a perfect backspin cascade trainer, the Mantis UL will backspin and backspin cascade but is less willing, especially with no weight

The Exile UL is also *very* easy to Taz

Both will roll up well enough, especially if you have some weight on but the Exiles yoyo is quite a large radius compared to a lot of other kites.
With little or no weight the Exile UL is difficult to roll up out of a JL or similar, its easier to use a little less weight and double pop it into a rollup from a turtle

Cometes are doable on both. Easier on the Exile but the timing is slightly different to some kites although it can be coaxed with virtually no tensioni on the lines. The Mantis is more conventional but, slightly more difficult needing a bit of tension on the lines.

Turtle based tricks are probably easier on the Exile but its not like any of the newer deep turtle kites

Combination/transition tricks like Waps and copters are a mixed bag, I think the quicker roll means a bit more inertia is preserved in the Mantis so I think it has edge, certainly for copters.

In terms of general feel, the Exile feels more like an SUL whereas the Mantis UL feels more like a lighter, wobbly std.

Now that essay is really nitpicking, they're both *very* nice and I doubt you'd be disappointed with either, if you like kmac style kites. (If you're coming from cosmics, fearlesses, transfers you'll probably wish they turtled deeper)

Personally the Exile is my favourite just because I spend more time in turbulent inland parks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:05 AM by inewham » Logged

Beaufort
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:06 AM »

Thanks Ian, for a really good and precise wrap up on these lovely kites!  Wink

I only know them from a STD-perspective, so your insights on the UL's is very useful.
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03 AM »

how would you classify the Muse?, From your description i tend to think it is more mantis like, but i must confess i only have flown it and the mantis

Sine Metu!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40 AM »

I thought the Muse was essentially a simplified Mantis without the adjustability and with fewer sail panels?
I didn't buy one because I thought it would overlap with the Std Mantis

Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 08:54 AM »

Both the Exile and the Mantis, in any of their three versions, are great kites.  There is a difference in the two standard versions of both kites -- the Black Diamond and the 5 pts.  I prefer the BD versions, especically on the Mantis, since the 5 pt spreader version of the Mantis exhibits tip flutter in winds above 10 mph.

The only difference between to the kites seems to be that the Exile is more trick oriented while the Mantis is more precision.  I fly both and enjoy both in UL, Std. and VV versions.  You can't go wrong with either one since they a KMac's. Grin

Gardner
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36 PM »

I thought the Muse was essentially a simplified Mantis without the adjustability and with fewer sail panels?
I didn't buy one because I thought it would overlap with the Std Mantis
Yep, and the trailing edge has been rounded rather then the sharper inner corners of the Mantis. Ken felt the Muse design was a little smoother in flight. I can't vouch for that having never flown a Mantis, only the Muse we made ourselves in a workshop with Ken with P200 leading edges and the one I bought when he released it for sale with Nitro's.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:40 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography