GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 03:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 3572 times)
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: March 26, 2009, 09:17 AM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:19 AM by np » Logged
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56 PM »

The Skyburner Widow Maker is an awesome kite and would be a definite upgrade.  The WW is pricey but well worth the bucks.

The Premier Widow is essentially the same kite, but without some of the refinements of the WW.   It is a kite that is built in China under license from Jon T, who is the designer.  The WW is built in the US.

Gardner
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:09 PM »

Norm,
I've flown the SF 2.3 and have tons of hours on the Premiere Widow.  I don't know if I would characterize the Widow as a step up, and whether or not you click with it is based on (opinion) many factors, most of which are beyond my understanding.  My honest opinion about the Widow is its a very tough kite, likes a bit of wind and tricks really easily.  Its not as refined or well balanced as my top end kites, but then the price is really reasonable.  It has a bit of oversteer.  For some flyers that's a deal breaker.  Its currently one of my favorite kites but that should mean absolutely nothing to you because we're different flyers.  I would suggest, and isn't this predictable, finding one you can try before buying.  Thing is, for the money its hard to go wrong with the Widow.

Anyway, I hope some of that is helpful.
Good winds! Wink

Dave
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:28 PM »

I've got both of them.
I'll make no opinions though, since i've only flown my Widow once.
But I will offer to let you fly them anytime you like, when you make it back to Reno. Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:45 PM »

The build quality and materials on the Widow are comparable to your Nighthawk, Skyshark framing, APA connectors. The upper spreader wear patch is a bit funky IMO, otherwise the build quality on the ones I've seen has been good. The additional weight of the P300 rods over the Nitro's used on the Skyburner version is responsible for the additional oversteer I think, not really noticeable except in lower winds.

If you can swing the extra for a Muse you will be getting top notch craftsman construction if that is your main concern.

Don't know where your located but if you can make it to the Roseville fest have Dan bring that Widow, I'll have a Nitro framed Muse & Skyburner Widow Makers on board for comparison.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:06 AM »

Norm,
I can only comment on my Widow, but its held up really well.  My friend who has the Silver Foxes has had something come off, usually unglued, on each of them.  Not a huge deal, but with the Widow I just hooked up the lines and never looked back.
Spz0
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:55 AM »

First post here.  Cheers all.  Smiley

Old post, but I'll respond anyhow.
I have a widow, and have many hours on it so far.  It has held up great imo. 
The sail stretches when its wet (mostly on the spine), so that can be a pain, but Im talkin flying in the rain-seriously soaked.
I've tore a section on the spine of my sail dead launching, so I would recommend some re-enforcement there (I used black duct tape), as well as re-enforce just below the yoyo stoppers on the L.E. and the trailing edge around the standoffs (reduces wear from roll ups).
I agree with mikenchico that the upper spreader wear patch is nerfed.  Mine wore through the other side in about 15 hours of flight time.  I have since cut an oval piece of fuzzy-side velcro and adhered it to that spot.  Works great. Smiley
The only part so far I had to replace has been one of my standoffs.  I shredded it while I was sitting down, flying in 25+Mph winds, so that technically was my fault.  heh.
All in all a great and tough kite, and very trickable.
I would seriously recommend installing a Leech line through the trailing edge.  I have on mine, and it seems to have increased its light wind range a bit, and has curbed some of that nasty oversteer (as well as making the kite silent).  Just watch out in the higher wind ranges -- that leech line has a tendancy to put some real stress on the lower leading edge.  I've already gone through a wingtip nock before I learned to loosen it up in high winds.

Depending on if you get an older model or not, there have been a few modifications that premier has suggested.
I'll copy and paste an email I have from them.

Quote from: premier
Just off of the phone with Jon T:

There are a couple of things on the earlier models, that are causing the problems. both of them are an easy fix.

1) There were inserts placed in the upper LE fitting. These are keeping the Upper spreader from going all the way in. The nose needs to be pulled in a bit. His suggestion was to remove the insert by, squeezing the fitting with pliers, to break the insert. Use any type of tool to remove the pieces. This will allow the spreader to seat fully.

2) The bridle needs to be stretched a bit. Those with significant time on the kite, may not need to.

3) The way that the pigtail is tied to the bridle is causing it to shorten the legs. If you are comfortable with tying a Prussic knot, you can remove the pigtail and tie properly. If not, it shouldn't be a problem as long as the bridle is able to reach the proper lengths.

Bridle lengths, with the upper outhaul on the 3rd knot are...

Inhaul 22 3/4"
Upper outhaul 20 1/2"
Lower outhaul 22 1/2"

This has been corrected and they should be fine, from here on. Dealers, either have been, or are being notified.

Hope this helps.

Shawn T ,

Hope that helps.

~Jon
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06 AM »

If you can afford it, get the Skyburner Widow Maker it has a better low wind range than the Widow. I know that 2 x the price is a lot but if your winds get soft you won't be thinking about the cost but enjoying the WM instead.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Spz0
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:09 AM »

Indeed.  Would love to get one.  I think I will in time, and pass the Widow onto my Wife.  She likes the idea of pair flying.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Indeed.  Would love to get one.  I think I will in time, and pass the Widow onto my Wife.  She likes the idea of pair flying.

Dang, I would be ordering up another Widow if you have a willing partner  Smiley

Once you're not running into each other too much then order up a matching pair from Skyburner. I went for the classic pairs colors of Lee Sedgwick & Sue Taft on ours but don't have a pairs partner  Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Spz0
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 12:34 PM »

Those are beautiful kites m8.  Cheesy

Im really happy with my widow, although I wanted the red/black/white one, they only had blue.  Still.  Great kite.   Leech line makes all the difference..  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:36 PM by Spz0 » Logged
siajauren

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58 AM »

Silver fox 2,3 is basic for learning trick and it can be fly as precision as well with bridal setting.S.F have improve version with Icarex sail and APA fitting.

The kite Know your character before you know it will fly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document