GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i just bought my second kite, and broke it already  (Read 1574 times)
tyt921
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 11, 2010, 03:16 PM »

The hypnotist came in the mail today, and i broke it already. the second i put it together, the tubbing which i tried to get it through the rubber ends, end up slipping, and piercing through the sail.

I was not used to setting up the kite this big. My previous kite was a nexus. the tubs and rubber ends were small, and didnt need so much force. so i my eyes when i pierced through my brand new kite was like this  - - - - - ->  Huh

anyway, are there any methods in getting those tubs the ends? because they can be pretty tough. any special ways to put them in?

any advice would be helpful....

thanks
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:29 PM »

If you are speaking of putting the spreader tube into the spreader connector:

1 Hold (in one hand) the tube about 1 inch from the end near the connector.
2 Hold (in the other hand) the rubber spreader connector.
3 Push the 2 parts together SLOWLY while you wiggle them just a little bit.
4 Make sure the tube is inserted all the way into the connector.

Clickable link. See 2 pictures on the left. Although your connectors probably look a little different, the process is the same.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:57 PM »

Look on the bright side - now you no longer have to worry about the kite as much!  A little tedlar, maybe a CA repair if you would rather and you can fly with no fear for the kite.

My most favorite kites have holes in them - mostly because I fly them all the time!  Smiley   2 point landing on a twig, line snap and the kite lands on something, another flyer lands on your kite - all sort of reasons.  They seem to fly the same to me as the ones that don't have any damage.

-Tom

6 kite tom
DonCrash

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26 PM »

I've got some extra tedlar tape. U sure u dont wanna fly this weekend for an hour or 2 to take a break from studying? haha

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:28 PM »

You must hold close to the end of the spreader, I cup my hand around the connector and insert the spreader through the cupped (hand) to control where the end goes. I have a few scars, but no hole in my sails

As the sail stretches it will get easier

Did tedlar come with the kite?

Prism repair section

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Also, it's much easier if you don't have the bungee cords attached around the wingtip nocks when trying to assemble the leading edge.  Once the leading edge is connected, then you can put the bungee back on.
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »

Hehehehe

I did the exact opposite.  My Hypnotist is loose and my Nexus is tight.

I opened up the (NEW) nexus last night and promptly slipped and poked a hole in it.

Worst part is that I was officially the first person to poke a hole in their 4D.

I am destined to do dumb stuff.

It's a gift.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
tyt921

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35 PM »

I've got some extra tedlar tape. U sure u dont wanna fly this weekend for an hour or 2 to take a break from studying? haha

don, i went today with my roomate, and boy, im exhausted. = = call u after my midterm next week
tyt921

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Sad

thanks for the support guys, i have already fixed it with tedlar tape because it came with the kite as a bonus. i had use for it, right out of the box. im thinking it wasnt a bonus, but a necessity!

MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:21 PM »

Too bad it happened on the first assembly.  Some of us put them in and then leave 'em.  I haven't had a connector wear out, but I have heard of many damaged sails.

Matt
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09 AM »

Early in kiting an experienced kiter introduced me to "nose greese" applied to rods before inserting, works great.  Just run your finger down the side of your nose and apply a bit of the oil to the end of the rod.

I know, sounds sorta gross, but it does help.  Never pierced a sail on assembly and I am pretty clumbsy.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document