GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You get what you pay for !!  (Read 2048 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 11, 2010, 10:18 PM »

A friend of mine found an on line store that sells kites for nearly nothing. Like kites for 2 and three dollars. Something inside me said this had to be too good to be true. But with 20 dollars to spend I said what the  heck   What do I have to loose. Just a few dollars so I went ahead and ordered a few cheap kites and some line... Well I wasn't too disapointed cause I expected the quality to be well , poor to say the least and true to my expectations it was.... or is ....thats ffffor sure. You do get what you pay for in this world and a 2 dollar kite is just that a 2 dollar kite. The nylon is of poor quality as is the stitching and the line they send . I suppose they'll fly but for what . I won't be fun at least not for me to fly a trashie looking kite like that.... ..... The company is Great American and I sure hope the kites arn't made in this country. Cause they arn't worth 2 dollars trust me....Tom

TRY Mayfly
Moonfog

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26 AM »

So what's the problem? Sounds like you knew what you were going to get for two bucks.  Embarrassed
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23 PM »

Kirti Shah at One World sells a bunch of fine 1-line fighter kites for just a few bucks -- bamboo and paper, or mylar, though, not nylon. I've just imported 200 Indonesian fighters (bamboo and paper) for less than US$1/kite -- They're still in Canadian Customs now -- and I'm hoping and expecting that they'll fly as well as the Indonesian fighters I bought from Bruce Lambert and others for $1 each a while back. They were very nice kites.

I don't know if that's getting more than you pay for, or not, but it's definitely getting a lot for a little!

Norm in Toronto
try1897

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:08 PM »

Oh its not a problem at all. I got just what I paid for  ,,,,,,,,,, nothing more nothing less.  I'll fly them for all there worth and then the'll go to the parts pile and some of the parts will fly on....on other kites of mine or those of friends. It's really no big thing  and we will make use of them one way or another.... Tom

TRY Mayfly
try1897

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:56 AM »

Well now that I've had some time with these kites and fixed any issues with a needle and thread  plus added loops so that I can use different tails I've been able to get almost all of them to fly and fly pretty darn well . I'ts been fun actually and when I have a line in my hands I'm always having a good time. After working with these kites I think I'm ready to try and build my own kite.  So  the 20 dollars was well spent in the end.............Tom in W.V.

TRY Mayfly
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:04 AM »

I often chase bargains -- and I think the batch of 200 tissue-and-bamboo Indonesian fighters, which I've just started flying, is a real bargain.

I've also had fun modifying $1 Chinese superhero-logo diamond kites with curved bows, so they make good (and cheap!) "fighter-kite trainers" for newbies. (Manny Alves has posted a serious mod of one of those kites at FighterKiteCentral, getting it to fly like a REAL fighter!)

But I long ago STOPPED buying cheap 2-string stunt kites. And I'll never get back the hours and hours (and hours!) I've wasted re-bridling and testing them, to try to get them to fly HALF decently. So stunt kites have joined Worcestershire Sauce and a few other products where I don't mind spending the money to buy REASONABLE quality.

(Lee & Perrins, BTW!)

Norm in Toronto
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24 PM »

Bruce, a guy who flys at Veterans Park at the Milwaukee Lakefront, often goes to rummage sales and buys inexpensive single and dual line kites. He tweeks them and makes sure they are good fliers, then gifts them to children at the park who show an interest in kiting but often cannot either afford them, or their parents choose not to spend the cash to buy them one.

I have witnessed him gifting numerous kites, and have seen the children beem with delight.

What a neat idea!

...Getting much more than what he paid for!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
try1897

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:15 PM »

Now that sounds like an excelent idea . I have done the same thing with bicycles in my neighborhood . Fixing up yard sale bikes as gifts to the kids without. I'll pass along the kites I'm done with the same way ... making sure they fly as best as I can make them and with extra line that I seem to have an abundance of.....Thanks for steering an old fool in the right direction.......Tom

TRY Mayfly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum