GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Glider SLKs Are Hot, Can Fighters Be Far Behind?  (Read 6914 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 12, 2010, 11:07 AM »

Once in a Blue Moon (hint, hint), I'll take out a few of my fighter kites and fly them at the park. There is something almost magical about controlling a fighter that can't be experienced with multi-line flying.

Now with the rising popularity of glidekites™ (Manta, Skate, 61/49, Wala), I keep wondering if the high end lads will get into fighters.

Paul Shirey use to make an excellent Stryke Fighter. Perhaps if Kmac were to make a cross between the gliders and the fighters, we could reintroduce this very small segment of kiting back into the slightly larger "mainstream" high end kiters.

Maybe a fighter with custom panels around 2 feet across for a little presence.

Just wishful thinking......
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:59 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
711jrp
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:00 PM »

SssssssHhhhh John you know the rules!! No talk of fighters in public.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:03 PM »

Ooppsss...  Roll Eyes

There are no fighters.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:07 PM »

I know someone who does a routine with a glide fighter.....beautiful stuff

"Do what you like"
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13 PM »

+1. It's still way too hard to buy a reasonable fighter, and the fighter culture is still heavily "biased" toward DIY, build your own -- heck, why not DESIGN your own while you're at it?! I'm old enough when computers were "promoted" that way, and that's not what got us all sitting at them for too many hours a day!

It was sad when Paul stopped building all his kites, including the remarkable Stryke fighter. Also sad when Steve and Chris stopped selling fighters.

Maybe if and when the amazing "Zen fighter" (ever) makes it to North American shores, maybe even for PURCHASE -- like in exchange for money -- its obvious magic will change things and create some customer-side "buzz". . .

Norm in Toronto
HiFly

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:02 PM »

I keep wondering if the high end lads will get into fighters.
Spiderkites (Ch. Fokken) makes a 'new' icarex/cf korean fighter and for some time allready a (simple) 'diamond-style fighter' called KIRK.
The homepage is also a shop, so you have to google it ;-)

Mike
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:21 PM »

"There is something almost magical about controlling a fighter that can't be experienced with multi-line flying."

I agree! I took an inexpensive rip stop hata and put a bow line on and added some nose weight so now it's a fighter/glider Smiley 
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20 PM »

Glighter maybe (Glider/Fighter).

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:32 PM »

It was sad when Paul stopped building all his kites, including the remarkable Stryke fighter.

Have you checked out his website lately? Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:25 PM »

I started with fighters but all my good ones need major repairs. DIY is right. I tend to let them sit.

Once I flew some of the modern "North American" style kites, even really excellent production kites like the PKC or Roo feel kinda sluggish. Pretty much anything in ripstop is overweight. A 2' fighter would be a different beast for sure. Many of the trasitional Asian fighters are that big and flown on very long lines.

I have a box of Lambert/Indian mylar fighters patiently waiting to be bridled. I have a staycation in a few weeks. Good project!

Allen, AKA kitehead
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:21 PM »

to me fighters and gliders cater to a different audience. my opinion is gliders are for relaxation and fighters for competition.

gliders can also be flown when nothing else will. if there's wind enough for fighters, my preference would be for something else.

of course the exception to this would be a 'relaxing competition' among friends with sufficiently large enough kites to enjoy the slow motion comedy of errors. where taking the time to laugh or tell a joke wouldn't 'cost you the win' but rather would enhance the experience.

to enjoy fighters you'd need someone to 'fight' against as well and many people here are solo fliers in their area. by contrast, glider kites can be enjoyed to their fullest by one individual.

Fˇdeli°
kitelover

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:05 AM »

I watched Charley McCleary (sp?) fly Mystery Ballet or Senior Ballet at WSIKF one year using a fighter. It was different, entertaining and enlightening.
Non traditional fighters today are fairly high tech, Orcon and carbonn have replaced paper and bamboo. After safety, maybe the biggest reason they use line touch rather than cutting when fighting.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 09:33 AM »

Although fighters are traditionally carried in a box, don't put them in a box as far as capabilities, like anything they are what you make them.

The first indoor kite flying I experienced was preformed by Joe Vaughn at WSIKF in 1989 or 1990 with his Grandmaster fighters, long before anybody was actively flying sport kites indoors

There are also precision events run for fighters, some will place cups onto different length poles at differing distances and your challenge is to knock as many off as you can in a prescribed amount of time. Another is a 'Bullseye' challenge using a netting pitching practice thing where you try to paste the kite to the center bullseye.

Richard Hurd continues to fly fighters in the Mystery Ballet competitions during WSIKF, I don't recall whether he or Charly M'Clary started that. While Reed Richards preforms ballet using two or more fighters on one line, which is pretty entertaining

Fighter kite ballet edit

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:34 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05 PM »

to enjoy fighters you'd need someone to 'fight' against as well and many people here are solo fliers in their area.

That's like saying you have to have someone to race against to enjoy your Ducati.

Allen, AKA kitehead
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:38 PM »

+1, Allen! I fly "fighters" most of the time I fly anything, but I hardly ever "tangle" with another fighter-kite flier. Even when a gang of fighter-kiters gets together here in Toronto, we often fly fighters side-by-side, try each others kites, chit-chat, whatever, and DON'T "fight". Tangling in competition is fun, but just steering a kite around with only one string is pretty magical, too.

I find the line between fighters and gliders totally blurred if not dimensionless, variations on the theme of efficient, responsive, steerable 1-liners.

Check out the YouTube videos of Darryl Yeh flying the Zen kite indoors (including one video where he's sitting in a chair the whole time!). I forget if he uses the word "fighter" or not, but the basic design is clearly fighter kite, though it's optimized to glide like crazy! (I want, I want, I want!!)

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum